DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Fatal Flaw: Broken Camera/Gimbal?

continuecrushing

Reactions
This came from one of the facebook groups, but a user has already had the camera and gimbal separate. It was flown for less than 2 minutes, yes, TWO, and when it was set on a table they heard a clunk.

Is this something that more users will have issues with?

This came from one of the facebook groups, but a user has already had the camera and gimbal separate. It was flown for less than 2 minutes, yes, TWO, and when it was set on a table they heard a clunk.

Is this something that more users will have issues with?

Yes - I'm sure that in DJI's extensive testing the cameras regularly fell off. No doubt they just hoped that consumers wouldn't notice.

Wow that gimble is only held on by a bit of glue. I'd be worried if you are flying these in any country that is very hot that gimble is going to be a massive problem.

I wonder if this is the problem that why they cancelled the first see the bigger picture event ?

I stopped right here @0:14 and started to question what I was watching
browsing through fakebook...yeah right
sort of polished glue (hmmm) I think that would be a welded joint. It looks like a cold joint has occurred and been affected by heat causing it to crack. Whatever the substance is that's used to make the connection between those components! If both metal that would be a soldered weld or the like of!

Last edited:
Well, it looks like DJI actually did make a detachable gimbal for the M2. joking :)

FYI, thats the gimbal roll motor that has become diconnected. The glue that DJI has used on those motors in the past, to fasten them to the motor assemblies, is among the strongest glue Ive seen. This could be a random mfg flaw, a QC oversight, or, if none of the above, there will be gimbals falling off all over the place. Self-repair will be out of the question, because the gimbal will need to be perfectly horizontal when gluing it back in.

Wow that gimble is only held on by a bit of glue. I'd be worried if you are flying these in any country that is very hot that gimble is going to be a massive problem.

I wonder if this is the problem that why they cancelled the first see the bigger picture event ?

The glue that DJI uses is usually as hard as a rock, and it doesnt take much to hold the motor in the assembly because it is a very tight fit to begin with. I have never seen a motor become detached like this unless the drone has been crashed.

Last edited:
Self-repair will be out of the question, because the gimbal will need to be perfectly horizontal when gluing it back in.
It's been a long time since I built a gimbal but Isn't there an IMU in the gimbal which determines the horizon during camera calibration? Also, since the roll motor is brushless, I wouldn't think it would matter since it doesn't have a start/stop point on its own.

Maybe I'm wrong about the Mavic gimbal though, I haven't messed with them before.

Reactions: Former Member
Does anyone think that it's possible that this might just be Youtube click bait? Ive repaired alot of DJI drones, and I have never once seen a motor become disconnected like that. With all the testing that DJI must have done, Im not 100% sure about the source of this info. Someone named "Dustin on Facebook" reported this. We will see how many others will have the same problem.

Yeah, Just received mine this morning. The gimbal looks to be in good shape and it doesn’t have any excess play, however, I will be adding this first to my preflight and post flight inspections unless there are more users having the same issue. If so, then it will go back regardless if it’s coming off or not.

It's been a long time since I built a gimbal but Isn't there an IMU in the gimbal which determines the horizon during camera calibration? Also, since the roll motor is brushless, I wouldn't think it would matter since it doesn't have a start/stop point on its own.

Maybe I'm wrong about the Mavic gimbal though, I haven't messed with them before.

The Mavic gimbal has a gyro built in to the camera barrel to feed the IMU its pitch data. The gimbals are mechanically set at the factory to find center. If a gimbal arm becomes bent, or in this case, off center, you can offset the roll difference in DJI Go, but only to a certain small degree. You also dont want your camera barrel to be mechanically off center because it will put added stress on to the roll motor.

If this is a real story, and the gimbal fell out. owner repair is absolutely not recommended because it will void your warranty.

The Mavic gimbal has a gyro built in to the camera barrel to feed the IMU its pitch data. The gimbals are mechanically set at the factory to find center. If a gimbal arm becomes bent, or in this case, off center, you can offset the roll difference in DJI Go, but only to a certain small degree. You also dont want your camera barrel to be mechanically off center because it will put added stress on to the roll motor.

If this is a real story, and the gimbal fell out. owner repair is absolutely not recommended ecause it will void your warranty.
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

This is not FATAL it's just a manufacturing fault
clickbait
They rushed the MP out with focussing issues

It could be fatal to the drone and possibly more if you are flying outside of LOS and your gimbal is hanging lifeless. It might conceivably throw the weight and balance off. Also, the least it could do is make it hard to land with the gimbal suspended below the landing gear.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998