DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Flir - An Analysis

Thanks- thought it looked pricey and suspicious. I would rather what to see what you do with the 360.
The linked Ebay one is a Boson 640, so it's actually pretty cheap for what it is. Almost worth buying just for the sensor.

We're aiming to have a finished, demonstrable prototype by the end of Jan, we have a number of demo requests from UK Police forces so we're working flat out to get it finished.

Reactions: AMann
The linked Ebay one is a Boson 640, so it's actually pretty cheap for what it is. Almost worth buying just for the sensor.

We're aiming to have a finished, demonstrable prototype by the end of Jan, we have a number of demo requests from UK Police forces so we're working flat out to get it finished.

I would buy it if it had better information attached and the seller was willing to respond to questions- no replies from seller is risky, plus they “don’t accept” returns.

Thanks- thought it looked pricey and suspicious. I would rather what to see what you do with the 360.
That is sUAS and it's not a scam. I have one . . although I bought the BOSON elsewhere, already had the Mavic2 and a BlackPearl monitor and mine is a BOSON320 with narrower field 9.1mm . .smaller lens. so the DVR, xmitter and mount, batteries and charger only cost about $500. The mount is well made and works fine on the lid of a Mavic Pro . . but if you want it to work with a M2Z or M2E you need the side mount. (just a small 3D printed part) I had problems with the DVR at high power. It gets HOT and the glue loosens. Also the side mount does not give access to the DVR "record" button. I just sent it back and they are modifying it and adding the "Airborne Parameter Set" interface for another $200. That will be very useful too so I can start/Stop the IR video on command. It cannot be top mounted they said because it interferes with GPS . still, a fixed mount is workable but not ideal. I like the dual mount made by drone doctors in UK. Hope io390 can publish more on it soon. ps I found Eric at USAS very responsive to all my questions and had the answers too.

Last edited:
THat is USAS and it's not a scam. I have one although I bought the BOSON elsewhere the mount is well made and works fine on the lid of a Mavic Pro . . but if you want it to work with a M2Z or M2E you need the side mount. (just a small 3D printed part) I had problems with the DVR at high power. It gets HOT and the glue loosens. Also the side mount doe not give access to the DVR "record" button. I just sent it back and they are modifying it and adding the "Airborne Parameter Set" interface for another $200. That will be very useful too so I can start/Stop the IR video on command. It annot be top mounte4d they said because it interferes with GPS . still, a fixed mount is workable but not ideal. I like the dual mount made by drone doctors in UK. Hope io390 can publish more on it soon. ps I found Eric at USAS very responsive to all my questions and had the answers too.

Good info about the set up, thanks. I was interested in buying it, but will let it go as I’ve been unable to contact seller.

Good info about the set up, thanks. I was interested in buying it, but will let it go as I’ve been unable to contact seller.

I meant sUAS is not a scam... don’t know if that eBay ad is trustworthy

Update: seller just sent me sales verification from sUAS with their invoice... it’s a legitimate sale. May try to see if warranty can be transferred. Thanks for replying you guys!

DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual (M2ED) Test on Missing Person Search (SAR). Definitely has potential for fast deployment, first-on-scene provided you understand the limitations. Drone was 128 ft AGL.

That's pretty good for the tiny sensor they chose . . wish they had gone with BOSON to start . . . and allow upgrade . . . will wait an see what comes next. Meanwhile my fixed BOSON 320 on the M2E will do the job a bit better I think . .. we'll see

I like the look of the new “M2E dual”... nicely integrated and that split screen is definitely going to be better than 2screens for a single pilot sensor operation. They’ll eventually have higher sensor resolution options I assume

I like the look of the new “M2E dual”... nicely integrated and that split screen is definitely going to be better than 2screens for a single pilot sensor operation. They’ll eventually have higher sensor resolution options I assume
No chance of that unless DJI redesign the hardware (which is unlikely, and a Boson solution would take sales from the M210/XT2).

Anyway, our Boson M2Z is coming along nicely so we'll have more pictures and some video to show soon. Unfortunately Chinese New Year is going to get in the way of some of our parts manufacture, so we're trying to get everything sorted before then.

No chance of that unless DJI redesign the hardware (which is unlikely, and a Boson solution would take sales from the M210/XT2).

Anyway, our Boson M2Z is coming along nicely so we'll have more pictures and some video to show soon. Unfortunately Chinese New Year is going to get in the way of some of our parts manufacture, so we're trying to get everything sorted before then.
Your boson plus zoom combo is amazing and is definitely superior to the enterprise dual. The only reservation I have is in the support should something goes wrong. No offense to you at all, but I won’t know who and how support will be like, nor do I know whether this product will exist or be supported a couple years down the road. Now, there are no gaurantees with DJI as well, but at least we know they are a large international operation with billions of dollars and an establish rep to protect. I wish io390 all the success as I believe it is a far better product, maybe DJI will buy out the concept and integrate it into Mavic enterprise dual v2.

Reactions: io390
Your boson plus zoom combo is amazing and is definitely superior to the enterprise dual. The only reservation I have is in the support should something goes wrong. No offense to you at all, but I won’t know who and how support will be like, nor do I know whether this product will exist or be supported a couple years down the road. Now, there are no gaurantees with DJI as well, but at least we know they are a large international operation with billions of dollars and an establish rep to protect. I wish io390 all the success as I believe it is a far better product, maybe DJI will buy out the concept and integrate it into Mavic enterprise dual v2.
None taken - it's a valid concern as small drone businesses are appearing and disappearing at a high rate, and the market is by no means constant. We've been steadily running for the past 5 years (and sprouted off from Firstpersonview which ran for 10 years) so hopefully that'll continue.

Since the DroneDJ articles, we've had significant interest from prospective overseas customers. Namely fire departments in the US.

Due to many factors, it is neither economical nor desirable for us to modify Mavics here and ship them overseas, the ones we make would be for UK and some European customers only. Therefore we need local distributors, which also solves the support problem.

We have a distributor lined up in Australia already (Camzilla) and are currently looking for someone in the US to take this on. We would need a company of similar size to ourselves (6-10 employees) that is a DJI distributor and repairer. The drones and Flir sensors would be sourced locally to avoid import duty etc... and we would provide the conversion parts. If anyone is interested please drop me a DM.

None taken - it's a valid concern as small drone businesses are appearing and disappearing at a high rate, and the market is by no means constant. We've been steadily running for the past 5 years (and sprouted off from Firstpersonview which ran for 10 years) so hopefully that'll continue.

Since the DroneDJ articles, we've had significant interest from prospective overseas customers. Namely fire departments in the US.

Due to many factors, it is neither economical nor desirable for us to modify Mavics here and ship them overseas, the ones we make would be for UK and some European customers only. Therefore we need local distributors, which also solves the support problem.

We have a distributor lined up in Australia already (Camzilla) and are currently looking for someone in the US to take this on. We would need a company of similar size to ourselves (6-10 employees) that is a DJI distributor and repairer. The drones and Flir sensors would be sourced locally to avoid import duty etc... and we would provide the conversion parts. If anyone is interested please drop me a DM.

Sheldon, gained more interest in your M2Boson. Your looking for USA DJI Distbutor, which I'd like to hear when you have that established. You also mentioned in a earlier post that you could ship the M2 modified, less Boson and it could be installed. As your development completes and you have product shipping, would the availability of the M2 modified without Boson be an option... for USA direct ship? Will the local USA distributor have the flexibility to set price... higher than UK price? Is the Boson UK a 9 Hz and the USA is 30 Hz, similar to XT units?

Your setup has the 6mm, can any of the Boson be installed... with a little stronger lens? Installing the Boson, is it an out of box Boson or does it require a few modifications to fit the gimbal setup? What altitude is the 6mm based for SAR, would a little stronger lens allow a little higher altitude with equal visibility of the subjects on ground or does the physical distance determine the useable data more than lens power?

I realize you're probably getting asked constantly... any estimate availability dates? Spring, Summer Timeframe?

Sheldon, gained more interest in your M2Boson. Your looking for USA DJI Distbutor, which I'd like to hear when you have that established. You also mentioned in a earlier post that you could ship the M2 modified, less Boson and it could be installed. As your development completes and you have product shipping, would the availability of the M2 modified without Boson be an option... for USA direct ship? Will the local USA distributor have the flexibility to set price... higher than UK price? Is the Boson UK a 9 Hz and the USA is 30 Hz, similar to XT units?

Your setup has the 6mm, can any of the Boson be installed... with a little stronger lens? Installing the Boson, is it an out of box Boson or does it require a few modifications to fit the gimbal setup? What altitude is the 6mm based for SAR, would a little stronger lens allow a little higher altitude with equal visibility of the subjects on ground or does the physical distance determine the useable data more than lens power?

I realize you're probably getting asked constantly... any estimate availability dates? Spring, Summer Timeframe?
The idea behind local distributors is to take advantage of lower pricing locally. It doesn't make financial sense for us to sell pre-modified Mavics outside the EU due to the higher pricing to UK customers. Obviously having local support is much better too, we can't really provide proper support for customers in different timezones.

We could provide the aircraft without the sensor, so the end user would just fit that themselves. This saves us importing then exporting a sensor from the US - money aside this process requires approval which takes around 12 weeks to gain.

No difference between the 60Hz and 9Hz units and 60Hz units are available outside of the US (I have one sitting on my desk). The gimbal will also accept 4.3mm and 9.1mm lens versions, which have 50 and 24 deg HFOV respectively.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to be added to our mailing list.

Cheers

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000