DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Flir - An Analysis

Thanks, that's what we are going for.

Regarding lenses, I don't think Flir sell the Boson lenses on their own so likely you'd need a whole Boson core to get a different lens.

Are you referring to the Boson or Lepton solution?

Boson 320 6.3mm can easily make out a person waving their arms 200m away.
Hello, Any progress on your Boson 320 project mentioned?
Thank You

Hello, Any progress on your Boson 320 project mentioned?
Thank You
Yes, we're still working on the project and it's progressing well. I've held off with official updates until our demonstrator is complete, which will be soon.

No other drone this size (or price point) has such a powerful sensor package and best of all it integrates seamlessly with the Mavic. If you're interested then drop me a PM with your details and we can discuss over email.

Thanks

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-03-10 at 18.23.46.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-03-10 at 18.23.46.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 56
Yes, we're still working on the project and it's progressing well. I've held off with official updates until our demonstrator is complete, which will be soon.

No other drone this size (or price point) has such a powerful sensor package and best of all it integrates seamlessly with the Mavic. If you're interested then drop me a PM with your details and we can discuss over email.

Thanks
No other? . . .I like what you're doing but . . .How about this? BOSON320
P4PBoson320.png

It amounts to the same thing however those systems aren't integrated with the drone. Not an "out of the box" solution is my point.
I agree! . . just could not help my self with the "no other" statement . . looking forward to your release.

I like what he's doing in the UK . . and hoping to see a commercial version ready soon . . unfortunately it cannot be used in Canada except maybe limited recreational due to the new rules that prohibit modifications that are not approved by the manufacturer and SAFE or compliant with Standard 922 . . . may still consider getting one wit a BOSON 640 if its possible

I was referring to the DJI M2E Dual with their Lepton. I would love to be proven wrong though I don’t think that would be a good search thermal soution. Likely max range of around only 40m to see someone. Boson would do a lot better and be useful. I know why DJI did this as they have to segment this from their more expensive professional/industrial line, but it is really a let down.

I'm guessing really decent thermal cams are both large and expensive. That being said, the one on M2E is next to useless, IMO. Looks like cheap "Predator" vision from the 80s. IDK - It may have some limited industrial uses, but I went in the M2E Zoom and glad I went that route.

Could the Flir Duo be adapted for a mavic 2 ?
If you mean a stock FLIR DUO, yes, it can be done.
Just use a mount/gimbal like the one in the Link and you are good to go.

But this a complete DIY project and has its limitations.

Yesterday these two posts popped up:

DJI picture 1

DJI Picture 2

#2 was released by the Enterprise team and right now everyone thinks that it's a thermal accessory for the Mavic 2 Enterprise. Makes perfect sense, DJI would be incredibly dumb to not do this. Question, is what sensor? The accessories that already exist for the M2 are pretty small and lightweight, and a thermal camera will need a gimbal. It will also need to have the sensor placed far forward, beyond the nose, so it can see downwards. That rules out any sensor large than a Boson, and a Boson is still pretty heavy at around 40 grams. When combined with a visible light camera for blending/embossing/enhancement/MSX, AND a gimbal, you have a fairly weighty setup to be hanging off the front of a Mavic.

I believe that this system is based on the Flir One, which uses a Flir Lepton sensor. The Lepton is available in 160x120 and 80x60 pixel flavour, with radiometric versions available. One of the above photos shows temperature values so that means it can either be a Lepton 2.5 or 3.5. I'll go with 3.5, so that's a resolution of 160x120 and 56 degree HFOV.

Compare the DJI images with these images from a Flir One:

Flir One 1

Flir One 2

Now, compare that with photos I just took with a Boson 320 to mimic the shots from DJI. One shows my desk with a Mavic and a cup with slightly warm water, and the other shows my phone. These are with a 2.3mm lens Boson so very wide angle at 92 degree HFOV, in reality for drone use you would use a 6.3mm or better. I have one of those too but it's no good for close up stuff.

Boson 320 1

Boson 320 2

Notice how, even with much higher FOV and no visible light enhancement, the images from the Boson 320 are vastly better than those from DJI's camera. Better detail and thermal sensitivity - and you can see the much more crisp outline of my phone for example.

It's probably a bit pointless speculating about all of this until Monday, however this does affect me as right now (Drone Doctor UK) we have spent the last couple of months developing this:

M2 Thermal

This is a very early prototype. We've reverse engineered many of the systems in the Mavic and have developed a solution to switch between a 8MP visible light camera and a Boson 320, with colour palette and digital zoom controllable from the controller. No extra parts, displays, batteries or anything. It all works as you would expect and you use the DJI Go 4 app as normal. It simply is a Mavic with a thermal and visible light camera that you switch between. It's possible in future to implement blending of the thermal and visible light images, however it's not a priority at this moment.

Having spent so long on the development, it was a shame to see that DJI had apparently beaten us to the chase, however from what we can see so far DJI may well have released a very half-baked solution, which would make sense given that they don't want to be adding a competitor to the M210/XT2 range.

Sorry about the non-embedded images, the embedding wouldn't work.
Is that an Osmo Pocket in DJI picture 1..?!

If you mean a stock FLIR DUO, yes, it can be done.
Just use a mount/gimbal like the one in the Link and you are good to go.

But this a complete DIY project and has its limitations.

By "limitations" do you mean it does not transmit over the Mavic Occusync and relies on a third-party remote and monitor to work?

By "limitations" do you mean it does not transmit over the Mavic Occusync and relies on a third-party remote and monitor to work?
Yes.

In addition you have to mount external power to feed the FLIR / gimbal / Video transmission unit.
If you want to have minimal control over the camera setting mid-flight you should mount a receiver with PWM signal connected to the FLIR. (start/stop recording, switch palettes)

That adds weight to the aircraft, reduces flight time.

All together, the Mavic will be on its limit very soon.

Our project has completed development and we are pleased to announce the Revolve Drones Thermal MK.III

Please see our website for more info: revolvedrones.com

Last edited:
Our project has completed development and we are pleased to announce the Revolve Drones Thermal MK.III

Please see our website for more info: revolvedrones.com

Definitely like the look of that - couple of questions:
- is the control done over the ocusync link, or does it just plug into the remote for power? (ie what range can I expect the camera controls to work over)
- Will you be doing a DIY upgrade package for those of us who don't want to splash out on a second mavic 2?

Definitely like the look of that - couple of questions:
- is the control done over the ocusync link, or does it just plug into the remote for power? (ie what range can I expect the camera controls to work over)
- Will you be doing a DIY upgrade package for those of us who don't want to splash out on a second mavic 2?
Control is with a small separate radio. Range is further than that of the Occusync. We are using FCC/CE certified radio modules.

We will be offering upgrades but not DIY. The upgrades will need to be undertaken by one of our distributors.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio