DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 fragile Micro USB side port

Former Member

Reactions
Just a heads up to those of you who use the side port of the controller to both charge and fly your drone. I would try to limit your use of the side port as much as possible for a few reasons.
  1. The side Micro USB port is fragile, as it was on the Mavic Pro
  2. Replacing the board that contains the port means a trip back to DJI for either a warranty repair or out of pocket repair by yours truly.
  3. There are NO parts available for the M2 controller yet, so repairs will be costly.
  4. If your drone is just a few weeks old and the port has already broken, it should be covered under a warranty repair, not a Refresh.
I ALWAYS use the bottom USB 2.0 port to fly my drone. To charge the controller, I keep a detachable cable in the side port so it never is under any pressure. You can buy a magnetic detachable cable or at the very least, a reversible micro USB cable.

Last edited:
I also fly with the USB A port. I was thinking about getting a micro-micro 90 elbow and just leaving it in. But I am also worried that leaving it in may cause some stress on it. Is most of the stress due to insertions and the fact that the ridiculous shape makes it a PIA?

Reactions: Former Member
I also fly with the USB A port. I was thinking about getting a micro-micro 90 elbow and just leaving it in. But I am also worried that leaving it in may cause some stress on it. Is most of the stress due to insertions and the fact that the ridiculous shape makes it a PIA?
I think that leaving anything in the port and not ever having to remove it would be better then nothing. Damage comes from repeatedly inserting and removing a cable from the port.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimP Florida
You wouldn't have a link handy to the magnetic detachable cable you use would ya ?

For the record, I know two people that have had them replaced. DJI ate both repairs but if they hadn't the cost would have been under $20.

Here's a video of a guy's experience with this exact problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: KG in CT
@dirkclod fyi, if you get it, and charge your controller, when you want to remove the cable, dont pull it, the piece inside the controller will come out, the magnet is very strong. Twist the connector on the cable downwards, like you want to break something of.
Thanks for that, getting 2 as I will use one in my MP .0ROJYyg.png0ROJYyg.png

I think they come in packages of 3 but I could be wrong. I think the one you bought was 12.88 for 1 cable but it's still a great deal
One's I put in cart look like this
Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 5.34.49 PM.png

Just a heads up to those of you who use the side port of the controller to both charge and fly your drone. I would try to limit your use of the side port as much as possible for a few reasons.
  1. The side Micro USB port is fragile, as it was on the Mavic Pro
  2. Replacing the board that contains the port means a trip back to DJI for either a warranty repair or out of pocket repair
  3. There are NO parts available for the M2 controller yet, so repairs will be costly.
  4. If your drone is just a few weeks old and the port has already broken, it should be covered under a warranty repair, not a Refresh.
I ALWAYS use the bottom USB 2.0 port to fly my drone. To charge the controller, I keep a detachable cable in the side port so it never is under any pressure. You can buy a magnetic detachable cable or at the very least, a reversible micro USB cable.
a MAJOR engineering screwup.........
Autel uses a simple straight pin to charge the remote....
ZERO problems

Without me going to look thunder are the MP and the M2P the same as far as those.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa