DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 fragile Micro USB side port

But they will work with both the link you posted .

Reactions: Former Member
Yep. If you are using them to charge your controller, they will both work just fine.
Yes that’s what I want one for each. I keep 1 in on room and the other here in another. Getting the 3 pack save me 12 bucks Thumbswayup

So how many magnets and ferrous iron are acceptable when calibrating the compass? Another volunteer here was using metal (non stainless) staples to fabricate a shade hood for his controller, that person thought it would be fine. Here people mention it is a "really strong magnet" and nothing similar exists on the drone, so I wonder what kind of misalignment to north can be expected.

So how many magnets and ferrous iron are acceptable when calibrating the compass? Another volunteer here was using metal (non stainless) staples to fabricate a shade hood for his controller, that person thought it would be fine. Here people mention it is a "really strong magnet" and nothing similar exists on the drone, so I wonder what kind of misalignment to north can be expected.

Im not sure about how staples on a controllers sun hood would affect magnetic misalignment since the compass is in the drone, not the controller.

Reactions: charliesRig
Im not sure about how staples on a controllers sun hood would affect magnetic misalignment since the compass is in the drone, not the controller.
Maybe in my dreams, I thought I saw a dji video of calibrating a compass in the controller, turning it circular horizontally then parallel to a longitude axis, but a quick look and I couldn't find it..............

Maybe in my dreams, I thought I saw a dji video of calibrating a compass in the controller, turning it circular horizontally then parallel to a longitude axis, but a quick look and I couldn't find it..............

Im glad we dont have to do that. I get dizzy enough calibrating the compass on the drone ;)

Reactions: Mica
To charge the controller, I keep a detachable cable in the side port so it never is under any pressure. You can buy a magnetic detachable cable or at the very least, a reversible micro USB cable.

Maybe that particular one got bad reviews. Here is the one I bought, and it comes with 3 cables. I have been using my magnetic cables for 4 months with no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XVRBTXK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry @dirkclod I just found the ad.

Thank you for the suggestion and the link. Do you connect the USB 2 end of that cable into the USB port on the Mavic Pro 2 charger?

Thank you for the suggestion and the link. Do you connect the USB 2 end of that cable into the USB port on the Mavic Pro 2 charger?

Yes and just keep the Micro USB plug in the side port forever.

One note, I use the magnetic cable for charging. For data I always use the bottom USB 2 port on the controller.

I use these magnetic cables for charging my devices, but was afraid to use them with my controllers.

Don't they interfere with the magnetic mechanism of the sticks?

I use these magnetic cables for charging my devices, but was afraid to use them with my controllers. Don't they interfere with the magnetic mechanism of the sticks?

I've been using these cables since August for charging, and I havent noticed any problems with any of the controllers I use them for. None of them have required calibration, and there were no adverse control effects on the aircraft.

After I started using these cables for charging, I had the same worry that you mentioned. Will the cables magnetism affect the sticks magnetic fields? After a couple of weeks using the cables and not noticing any problems, I actually took a huge magnet, and ran it over the top sides and back of one of my controllers to see how it would affect the sticks fields. I ran the magnet slowly over both sticks with the Mavic powered on and off , and to my surprise, neither of the sticks were affected. This magnet I used is 50 times the size of the magnet on the end of the cable. After this experiment, I wasn't so worried any more about the cables magnetic interference. I got no controller errors, and the controller calibrated just fine after the experiment.

All I can think of is that the shielding that the factory provides to protect the sticks from outside magnetic interference works really well. So does the shielding that protects compass #1 from internal interference.

Reactions: Mica

Could it have been someone calibrating the controller? I forgot about that.

Just a heads up to those of you who use the side port of the controller to both charge and fly your drone. I would try to limit your use of the side port as much as possible for a few reasons.
  1. The side Micro USB port is fragile, as it was on the Mavic Pro
  2. Replacing the board that contains the port means a trip back to DJI for either a warranty repair or out of pocket repair
  3. There are NO parts available for the M2 controller yet, so repairs will be costly.
  4. If your drone is just a few weeks old and the port has already broken, it should be covered under a warranty repair, not a Refresh.
I ALWAYS use the bottom USB 2.0 port to fly my drone. To charge the controller, I keep a detachable cable in the side port so it never is under any pressure. You can buy a magnetic detachable cable or at the very least, a reversible micro USB cable.

Just wanted to say thanks for this info to all on this thread !!! Mine failed to charge , It's on it's way back, thought it was me ! Have ordered the magnetic connector.

I've had the magnetic connector in for a couple of months too, with no ill effect though I was a little concerned about having drone and controller close together in a case.
You could also consider a micro USB to USB C adapter which would also reduce wear.

I’m new to the Mavic Pro and just learning of this issue. So to be clear, I should stop using the nice little 90deg micro usb to phone cable for flying and find a usb 2 to phone cable (any suggestions on a good one). Since the controller micro USB port is the only way to charge I should get a magnetic cable so I don’t cause excess wear on that port.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
googleplazadorn