DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 fragile Micro USB side port

You can use that red cable for data only to PC for connecting to Assistant for log download and firmware update. It's still micro USB B, not A, so it can't be used to connect to a mobile device. Besides, the other end is full A, so how would you connect that to a mobile anyway?

It works because the contacts in a normal micro B are only on one side. The reversible has mirrored contacts on both sides, and made smaller so that it doesn't push the socket contact out of position.

You can use that red cable for data only to PC for connecting to Assistant for log download and firmware update. It's still micro USB B, not A, so it can't be used to connect to a mobile device. Besides, the other end is full A, so how would you connect that to a mobile anyway?

It works because the contacts in a normal micro B are only on one side. The reversible has mirrored contacts on both sides, and made smaller so that it doesn't push the socket contact out of position.

Which mobile device might you be referring to? If USB-C I have to use adapters, but it's nice to just have that cable around to use for connecting to some of my devices, charge the Mavic, and as you said data connection from drone to DJIA2.

Can you charge the RC off a USB port?

Im doing a test for you. Im charging my controller off of an S9+ charger. So far 20 minutes on the charger, 21% battery (started at 10) and the phone charger is only at 98°, so not too hot. Mine is a higher output phone charger. You might check yours to see what the output is.

Reactions: STUFF2C
the reason I asked was more about using the magnetic cable. I have them for my phones and tablet and have never had a problem. If I can utilize the multiple cables and chargers I have, it may just make charging it a bit simpler.
FWIW... I have been using the magnetic charging cables for probably a year or more for my other devices because of the micro USB ports being fragile. My kids can destroy one in weeks... just ask "Square Trade" :)

Reactions: Former Member
Which mobile device might you be referring to? If USB-C I have to use adapters, but it's nice to just have that cable around to use for connecting to some of my devices, charge the Mavic, and as you said data connection from drone to DJIA2.
The red cables Thunderdrones pointed out are modified micro-B to full A.
I haven't seen many (any) mobile devices with a full sized A. Most are electrically B, mechanically as well if not C.
Even if you physically convert the full A to micro B or C, it probably won't work. Your device is expecting to be connecting to an A data port.

Think of A as "out" and B as "in". Initiated data flows out of A and in to B.

The red cables Thunderdrones pointed out are modified micro-B to full A.
I haven't seen many (any) mobile devices with a full sized A. Most are electrically B, mechanically as well if not C.
Even if you physically convert the full A to micro B or C, it probably won't work. Your device is expecting to be connecting to an A data port.

Think of A as "out" and B as "in". Initiated data flows out of A and in to B.

You say potato, I say patato, you say tomato, I say tamato...

Dirk and others. For those who may be like me and a wee bit absent-minded, be careful with the magnetic cables. Specifically, the little piece that connects to the RC. I had mine for a week, did a couple charges and then, as one poster mentioned, if you just "pull" on the cable end, you may very well pull the little widget out of the RC. (Use the suggested "break off" method.) I did but, I didn't NOTICE that I did. A few days later when I went to charge the RC again, no widget and I couldn't find it to save my life so I ordered extra Micro-USB tips. Just a heads up.

Dirk and others. For those who may be like me and a wee bit absent-minded, be careful with the magnetic cables. Specifically, the little piece that connects to the RC. I had mine for a week, did a couple charges and then, as one poster mentioned, if you just "pull" on the cable end, you may very well pull the little widget out of the RC. (Use the suggested "break off" method.) I did but, I didn't NOTICE that I did. A few days later when I went to charge the RC again, no widget and I couldn't find it to save my life so I ordered extra Micro-USB tips. Just a heads up.

Did you find it at the end of the cable??? lol

Thats a great point. Remember what you did with your widgets!

Yes its best to use the "break off" method, Usually the widget will stay in place snugly in the controller, but if you pull it too hard, or dont use the "break off" method as @kilomikebravo says, it could come off with the cable. The reason to buy this cable is to keep the widget in the controller permanently.

If youre going to use this to charge your controller, best to keep the cable in your drone case. Especially if you have alot on your mind (yours truly)

Yes, I seem to have lost one of those widgets, too. I suspect it might be in a vacuum bag!!! At least, there are no toddlers that might try to taste it.

Did you find it at the end of the cable??? lol

If only, Rob. Everything was in a drawer for charging and that's where the cable went but, no way could I find that dang widget!

If youre going to use this to charge your controller, best to keep the cable in your drone case. Especially if you have alot on your mind (yours truly)

Gonna go do that right now, Rob. Had been concerned about the magnet in the case with the drone but from what I've read, that doesn't seem to be a problem. Now, where's that CABLE?! :)

It's really amazing that the magnet is really small and won't interfere with other sensitive electronics, but it's strong enough to snap on to the and plug.
If only, Rob. Everything was in a drawer for charging and that's where the cable went but, no way could I find that dang widget!

Gonna go do that right now, Rob. Had been concerned about the magnet in the case with the drone but from what I've read, that doesn't seem to be a problem. Now, where's that CABLE?! :)

It's really amazing that the magnet is really small and won't interfere with other sensitive electronics, but it's strong enough to snap on to the and plug.
I think you've got that the wrong way round ... The tip is just metal - but does get to be mildly magnetic due to being in the presence of one a lot of the time. It's the block on the end of the cable that's the magnet. You don't need both parts to be a magnet for this to work. It's for that reason, that I'd recommend that you only use that type of connection as a charging port on your controller because putting a magnet on the side of your controller while flying is bound to upset the left-hand stick.

I think you've got that the wrong way round ... The tip is just metal - but does get to be mildly magnetic due to being in the presence of one a lot of the time. It's the block on the end of the cable that's the magnet. You don't need both parts to be a magnet for this to work. It's for that reason, that I'd recommend that you only use that type of connection as a charging port on your controller because putting a magnet on the side of your controller while flying is bound to upset the left-hand stick.

Yes I did know that the cable was the magnetic part. what I was trying to say but I missed a word in the sentence was that it snaps on from an inch away.

I also don't recommend this for flying, only for charging. If you are going to fly and you want a better alternative to the micro USB then use a reversible usb cable and use the bottom port. The magnetic cables plug "widget" will be lodged in the micro USB port so you won't have access to it anymore if you decide to go the magnetic cable route. Still all in all it's a much better solution than any I have seen.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Got the RED double reversible cables today - **** fast - ordered yesterday! They do seem to fit either way. Have not tried charging with them or, say, updating the RC's firmware with them.

question, I ordered the magnetic cables Thunderdrones posted on the first page of this thread and saw to connect my phone to the bottom usb plug but my phone wont connect.
I've read several posts but I didn't find my answer I was looking for.
can the bottom usb be used to connect my phone and fly my m2p?
I'll read this thread again when I wake up.... ( work nights and I'm trying to go to sleep but this darn hobby is keeping me up! ) :)

Oh, you want to charge those unwieldy hearing aids! (g)

I plan on using but just was testing the fit in micro-usb b devices. Also the larger end in my computer up/down - NICE.

My old hearing aid runs on 110/220. ;)

Need extension cords all over the house when I use it.

Reactions: ff22
question, I ordered the magnetic cables Thunderdrones posted on the first page of this thread and saw to connect my phone to the bottom usb plug but my phone wont connect.
I've read several posts but I didn't find my answer I was looking for.
can the bottom usb be used to connect my phone and fly my m2p?
I'll read this thread again when I wake up.... ( work nights and I'm trying to go to sleep but this darn hobby is keeping me up! ) :)

Yes thats what I always use. I dont use the magnetic cables for data though. Only the reversible ones.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efe