DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 high Wind

MavicFT1P

Reactions
I keep getting "drone will land now, wind too high" in sport mode.

Brass tacks, Is there any way to circumvent?
turning OA sensors off maybe. NLD parameter (if someone is feeling kind)

How high was the wind when you flew?

like 7km/h on ground (ie: close to nothing). might have been gusts of 20-25 km/h up higher, certainly no more.

I am confused though. I know with Mavic Pro wind warning are just that.
Does Mavic 2 ever induce a Auto-Land due to high wind?
I heard it Auto-Lands you at 7.7m/s. or am i misundersstaken?

I have a MP1 - that wind should have been fine in sport mode - I only use sport mode when I need it to get back to the home point or in emergencies - or filming motocross races - make sure all software is up to date. I have never had an auto land message come up

like 7km/h on ground (ie: close to nothing). might have been gusts of 20-25 km/h up higher, certainly no more.

At what height did you get the warnings, and how do you know the wind speed at that height?

At what height did you get the warnings, and how do you know the wind speed at that height?

I didn't. I was just guesstimating, as I know wind increases so may km/h per given altitude
for a certain temperature.

I dunno, pretend i was at 120m, or hypothetically 500m.

All i really want to know is did DJI introduce a feature with Mavic 2 (that Mavic PRo didnt have)
that will initiate a forced landing in High wind?

Reactions: charliesRig
I didn't. I was just guesstimating, as I know wind increases so may km/h per given altitude

All i really want to know is did DJI introduce a feature with Mavic 2 (that Mavic PRo didnt have)

VPS sensor going bad maybe, Did you have that on ?
I flew last night in some 25 mph winds and never got the High Wind warning but i was using the SC.

Reactions: MavicFT1P

I wasn't aware of a forced landing feature - you should check (or post) the flight logs to see what it was doing. On the wind speed issue there is no general rule for variation with height - it can be quite extreme, depending on terrain and atmospheric conditions.

I wasn't aware of a forced landing feature - you should check (or post) the flight logs to see what it was doing. On the wind speed issue there is no general rule for variation with height - it can be quite extreme, depending on terrain and atmospheric conditions.

Im sure your right

It's my bad. I got focused on some guys post. Not even a Mavic 2 and an old thread.
it must have been caffeine o clock in the am, and got carried over into the next day.

Thanks for your replies anyway

Does ever - mine did once. I did not have atti mode set at that time, now i fly high in atti and it is always problem free.

I think it starts landing if wind exceeds max angle/motor speed and when drone realizes that it is unable to hold position - it starts the descent. Anyway, i only had it once and it was very windy. 50+ mph at altitude. Landing was interrupted by stick input and mode switch.

Last edited:
Reactions: erohne
All i really want to know is did DJI introduce a feature with Mavic 2 (that Mavic PRo didnt have) that will initiate a forced landing in High wind?
No .. they haven't.
You need to check your recorded flight data to see what the message really said.
It was probably an (unnecessary) suggestion that you land as soon as possible.

OA sensors won't make any difference since they can't detect wind.
The app will give a wind warning when it identifies a wind in excess of 7 metres/sec.
The land ASAP warning doesn't normally show and perhaps is triggered by a stronger wind than 7m/s.

No .. they haven't.
You need to check your recorded flight data to see what the message really said.
It was probably an (unnecessary) suggestion that you land as soon as possible.

OA sensors won't make any difference since they can't detect wind.
The app will give a wind warning when it identifies a wind in excess of 7 metres/sec.
The land ASAP warning doesn't normally show and perhaps is triggered by a stronger wind than 7m/s.

Yeh, no your all right. Somehow i got it into my head that "Land ASAP" progressed into
a "forced landing and/or RTH".

MP you can ditch the wind warnings easy and forget about it.
If my drone starts drifting distance, thats usually my clue that the wind is too much.
I do a UAV forecast before each fly. Only thing i hate more than rain is wind, so im always aware of it.

If there is a .NLD parameter to rid the Mavic 2 of the wind warning that would super helpful.

The warnings wouldnt bother me, it's just the baseline is set so low, that you end up ignoring them, and in this
case trying to disable them as i did MP.

They are a reminder and a safety feature why would you want to get rid of them - it's all about flying safely.

Just a guess , but would sport mode contribute to high wind warning? I never use it but it seems it might create that situation with windy conditions.

Check out the APP: UAV forecast it gives you a bunch of info on winds at different altitudes.
FYI if you like your Mav2 you may want to consider not flying and risking a blow away, an unable to return or a un needed crash.

Mavic 1 the wind warnings were conservative and most of the time i ignored them.
Mavic 2 the threshold is higher so when it warns of winds, it means it and i do adhere to them.

Do IMU Calibration.

Ive seen a video, in which it is explained that IMU Calibration sets right various sensor errors and it corrects Wind Speed erroneous warning also.
See below,

Reactions: BSTEG99 and PAW
What is the revelation?
That you need to do IMU calibration often, Or at least once.?

I check sensors before every flight (as anyone should) and do an IMU calibrate periodically.
Why it's not in the quick start guide, or tutorial is beyond me.

Still it's either calibrated or not, its not the kind of sensor that "is off a bit".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman