DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Iced over after just a few minutes of flying thru the snow over the water.

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Using the Mavic 2 ZOOM Wet Suit to protect the drone.
At one point the snow was so heavy that the Drone wanted to land in mid air by tricking the landing sensors.

Some Ice had formed on the props , legs and the top of the Battery but the end of the flight.

Unfortunately getting good footage was near impossible as the snow was relentless , I have flown in pouring rain where it was easier to fly and record than this .

Another freak freeze out of no where. One minute it was sunny and no coat and the next a freezing Snow.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in and out of the Storm
No worries about battery swelling or popping out , everything is sealed nicely.

{post video)

Last edited:
If folks would just take the time to read and study the manual, most of these things that “happen” to us, wouldn’t. Slow down, and truly enjoy the fun.

Reactions: Flycaster
Very glad the props didn't loose lift and drop that drone on that dude and his dog at 1:54. I had a question on the 107 about prop performance and icing due to changes in air pressure created by flight and wondered when I would ever experience something like that. A situation like this would be it. lol. Probably worth the risk of loss when your bird is the spokesperson for the product. :)

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
It may not be even 32F, but wet things moving thru the air have a tendancy to be "supercooled", like propellers.
Heck, Iv'e been flyfishing, temp was in the upper 30's, and just the action of my "false casts",
iced up my line guides on my flyrod.....a quick submerge in the river, and all clear.
Don't try that with your cameraship.... ?

Another issue when flying in snow is wetness. If you have a light fluff snow even in the cold your generally will not have a problem, but should still check the props frequently. It sounds like the op was not only in heavy snow, but wet snow which will stick to the props increasing the risk of icing very quickly in the cold.

Another issue when flying in snow is wetness. If you have a light fluff snow even in the cold your generally will not have a problem, but should still check the props frequently. It sounds like the op was not only in heavy snow, but wet snow which will stick to the props increasing the risk of icing very quickly in the cold.

These were the worst conditions I have ever flown in, the snow was wet and freezing at the same time along with being very heavy snow , Visual line of sight was about 200 ft at its peak intensity.

HoozierDroneDaddy--The OP makes and markets a silicon covering for drones to mitigate the effects of the weather “Suits out of Neoprene ,designed to fly the Drones in the Pouring rain.” The video is a little bit of creative marketing. If this was filmed in the US I wonder about a few things but since that's not the point of the video I will leave it alone. As it stands the video is a decent testement to the weather tightness the suit (even if it is snow rather than pouring rain).

Last edited:
HoozierDroneDaddy--The OP makes and markets a silicon covering for drones to mitigate the effects of the weather. The video is a little bit of creative marketing. If this was filmed in the US I wonder about a few things but since that's not the point of the video I will leave it alone. As it stands the video is a decent testement to the weather tightness of the suit.

The owner makes the Suits out of Neoprene ,designed to fly the Drones in the Pouring rain , I posted because its not often you see a drone iced over and the storm it was flying in. ;)

The owner makes the Suits out of Neoprene ,designed to fly the Drones in the Pouring rain , I posted because its not often you see a drone iced over and the storm it was flying in. ;)
Oops. Sorry 'bout the wrong material. [emoji2]

Another video of what not to do. Personally I don’t get the whole wetsuit thing. What’s next.

Some Ice had formed on the props

This is the critical thing with staying aloft . . .

Did you read other 'iced props' threads recently, some are putting auto wax on props, seem to resist moisture forming / icing ?
Might be worth a shot next time, or even do a couple of flights and compare unwaxed, then waxed ?

Maybe wax can also be applied to the front / body parts too, if moisture slips off, it might not have a chance to turn to ice.

Reactions: Flycaster
Another video of what not to do. Personally I don’t get the whole wetsuit thing. What’s next.

Wet Suits are not really designed for Hobbist as much as those that make money with there drone.
This is a tool that allows you to fly when others really cannot and do it repeatedly over and over again.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Last edited:
This is the critical thing with staying aloft . . .

Did you read other 'iced props' threads recently, some are putting auto wax on props, seem to resist moisture forming / icing ?
Might be worth a shot next time, or even do a couple of flights and compare unwaxed, then waxed ?

Maybe wax can also be applied to the front / body parts too, if moisture slips off, it might not have a chance to turn to ice.

Yes we have found that same thing to be true , the problem was that we were not prepared for the storm, but coating the blades does work
well but not on the legs ., I like the idea of doing a comparison and may purposely freeze the drone before the flight begins {Weather Permitting of course }:cool:

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Wet Suits are not really designed for Hobbist as much as those that make money with there drone.
This is a tool that allows you to fly when others really cannot and do it repeatedly over and over again.

Phantomrain.org
Coal
It's not so much a question of can but rather a question of should. I wonder if that was what the ChipDJIPro was referring ton when talking about videos of what not to do?

Purposely flying in these conditions over people and property beyond line of sight might be possible with the wet suit but it's something a professional should think a lot on because of issues of liability and if the FAA would deem the actions of the pilot wreckless if something were to happen.

We all approach drones as a hobby or as part of a profession from different places and see different things in the videos posted to the forums. Keep on keepin' on.

Last edited:
It's not so much a question of can but rather a question of should. I wonder if that was what the ChipDJIPro was referring ton when talking about videos of what not to do?

Purposely flying in these conditions over people and property beyond line of sight might be possible with the wet suit but it's something a professional should think a lot on because of issues of liability and weather the FAA would deem the actions of the pilot wreckless if something were to happen.

We all approach drones as a hobby or as part of a profession from different places and see different things in the videos posted to the forums. Keep on keepin' on.

Its easy to forget that this is the Mavic 2 ZOOM and nothing is what it seems , Zoom means things our further away from you than they actually our on camera, ( reminder )

Its easy to forget that this is the Mavic 2 ZOOM and nothing is what it seems , Zoom means things our further away from you than they actually our on camera, ( reminder )
Oh I understand. I get it. Focal length and judging distances aren't too far out of my wheel house. No need for reminders. LoL

The observations and questions are still relevant and appropriate especially when lots of folks learning the ropes reading the forums and going to the video showcase to see pilots in action. Good, safe drone pilots should always take a critical eye and fly with risk management on their minds. Without logs and and telemetry there would be no way for anyone to validate claims or know for certain what is happening in the video. No matter the focal length the path of the drone is still pretty clear. Especially when the drone turns around once it passes over a certain area. My observations are just that, observations not accusations.

You do you.

Last edited:

Purposely flying in these conditions over people and property beyond line of sight might be possible with the wet suit but it's something a professional should think a lot on because of issues of liability and weather the FAA would deem the actions of the pilot wreckless if something were to happen.

Exactly.

Reactions: Hegemone
This is exactly a wheather situation that would be catastrophic for a PPL pilot flying VFR in a single engined Cessna or Piper without any possibility to de-ice wings or prop
and with a visibility of perhaps 100 ft. With or without wetsuit I would let the drone stay on ground in this conditions

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven