DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 in Sydney - what’s in a bigger sensor?

TheDigitalDove

Reactions
Has anyone had experience with buying dji drones immediately at release ?

1) Do you know if they usually have stock to sell at the release date ?

2) If do you know if I might get it faster ordering from dji online ( I assume
International express delivery ) v for instance Jb hifi SYDNEY

3) choice ?

I am after Mavic 2 pro but it’s a challenging choice to get an optical zoom v larger sensor And don’t understand it technically .

Can I assume that with larger sensor I might be able to achieve as good a result as an optical zoom Ie

- raw PHOTOGRAPH with Mavic 2 pro with big sensor
- in Lightroom crop to zoom with hopes for better resolution from bigger sensor and as good results as zoom with smaller sensor

Is my logic sound?

Thanks In advance

DJI has decided to change original launch date for reasons unknown to public. Now they are going to try again Personally. I’m waiting to see if other desperados have issues . I’m in no hurry.Good Luck

Yes it went from July 19 to aug 23
I will buy as soon as available as I have found dji after sales support and service to be solid if required .

At past dji releases has stock usually been available to ship out at on around announcement date ?

Does anyone in Australia know the usual shipping time for a drone bought from dji direct ?

But most importantly
I am going to buy the large sensor version but I am not clear what specific quality gains might be achieved with a larger sensor verses smaller for any given photograph and it’s potential quality of image or range of light and color for post production grading . Anyone able to put it in layman’s English for me / us

Thanks

I bought during the launch & have just received a shipping notice.DJI really have upped their game.was expecting a repeat of the original Mavic chaos so very pleasantly surprised

I bought during the launch & have just received a shipping notice.DJI really have upped their game.was expecting a repeat of the original Mavic chaos so very pleasantly surprised
Same here bought the M2P, updated to shipped, expecting early next week, UK.

I have faith in DJI. When I bought my MP, arrived 3 days after I placed the order, that order was four months after the launch.

If I was in the USA, I would n't wait to buy, I think the looming trade war could see prices rise for USA in the very near future.

...But most importantly
I am going to buy the large sensor version but I am not clear what specific quality gains might be achieved with a larger sensor verses smaller for any given photograph and it’s potential quality of image or range of light and color for post production grading . Anyone able to put it in layman’s English for me / us...
The 2 Pro seems to have the better camera. Specs are here: Mavic 2 - Specifications, FAQs, Videos, Tutorials, Manuals - DJI

It looks like you will have the option to change cameras but I do not know the cost. I am guessing that there will be videos showing how to change it yourself soon.

So I will report back how fast until I receive my order in Sydney as some note that theirs shipped and others not. I note mine has not yet shipped . Not a complaint just an observation. And I assume we might get ours sooner in aus than nyc . If you see a maiden flight over bondi - it’s likely me . Mostly keen to know transit time

A quick fan comment that blows me away ...

I am particularly impressed with a video of the new active track combined with sensor tech .. and the Mavic2 reducing altitude and then avoiding multiple low hanging branches intelligently to follow the subject as he weaved his way through them all the while maintaining
Him in frame. It needed to do some fairly radical jerky manoeuvres to achieve this . I am also very impressed with active track maintaining its lock on a subject who is almost totally obscured as he passes behind a tree .

I have 100percent of the time lost the lock on a surfer when he dives under a wave even with a very clear image and contrast outline . I think this is a game changer

Last edited:
Anyone want to take a stab at sensor v zoom quality .

I bought pro for 1 inch sensor 20 Mp . I can’t zoom but I can fly closer . To summarise my query above ..

Assume I take a pic with my 2Pro which has the same number of pixels as the 2zoom model (1/2.3 sensor) but with more photosites per pixel and thus better ultimate “quality” , light info, range etc

Let’s assume I take the same photo with the 2zoom but zoomed in

Would it be correct to say I could crop my 2pro pic in post production to approximate the “zoom” and due to its higher quality per pixel I might approximate the same quality of the zoom shot ?

I welcome an admin moving my thread to the Mavic II pro area which wasn’t open when I posted

Last edited:
Why is this worldwide release, in the US, today....
Yet in Australia, the release is on the 30th???
What is differant?

DJI store can sell straight away, dealers always need 2-3 weeks to get their stock.

Nah, I'm not talking about availability...
Apparently the Aussie 'release' is the 30th?
It confuses the hell out of me if its true??
Do we get a differant unit, one that can fly upside down, down under maybe??

Reactions: geevee
So I will report back how fast until I receive my order in Sydney as some note that theirs shipped and others not. I note mine has not yet shipped . Not a complaint just an observation. And I assume we might get ours sooner in aus than nyc . If you see a maiden flight over bondi - it’s likely me . Mostly keen to know transit time

A quick fan comment that blows me away ...

I am particularly impressed with a video of the new active track combined with sensor tech .. and the Mavic2 reducing altitude and then avoiding multiple low hanging branches intelligently to follow the subject as he weaved his way through them all the while maintaining
Him in frame. It needed to do some fairly radical jerky manoeuvres to achieve this . I am also very impressed with active track maintaining its lock on a subject who is almost totally obscured as he passes behind a tree .

I have 100percent of the time lost the lock on a surfer when he dives under a wave even with a very clear image and contrast outline . I think this is a game changer
This is comments about watching the advertising video, not his actual trials. It remains to be seen whether these features work as well as the advertising shows, often things don't work in reality as well as they are depicted in an advert.

Anyone want to take a stab at sensor v zoom quality .

I bought pro for 1 inch sensor 20 Mp . I can’t zoom but I can fly closer . To summarise my query above ..

Assume I take a pic with my 2Pro which has the same number of pixels as the 2zoom model (1/2.3 sensor) but with more photosites per pixel and thus better ultimate “quality” , light info, range etc

Let’s assume I take the same photo with the 2zoom but zoomed in

Would it be correct to say I could crop my 2pro pic in post production to approximate the “zoom” and due to its higher quality per pixel I might approximate the same quality of the zoom shot ?

I welcome an admin moving my thread to the Mavic II pro area which wasn’t open when I posted
I believe you have understood that correctly. With an addition of the larger sensor being better in low light and also having a better overall tonal/contrast resolution than the smaller sensor.

Just as in the DSLR world, the cropped sensor is basically a smaller section of, for example, a 35mm frame. So when you have a cropped sensor camera and a full frame camera, your 100mm short telephoto lens will be 100mm on the full frame, yet the equivalent of 150mm on the cropped camera, if they are Nikons. If they are Canons, they have a 1.6 crop factor, therefore, the 100mm lens on the Canon cropped sensor camera will give an effective 160mm zoom lens view, if it were 35mm.

To explain it, think of the full frame, 35mm negative, that you print up to a 10x8 inch print when you shot through your 100mm lens. Now, change your lens to a 150mm lens (160mm lens for a Canon comparison) and take another photo and print it out to a 10x8 inch print. Lay them next to each other and compare what you see. Not take the 100mm lens print and cut out the central section of that print to look exactly like the print you did from the 150mm Nikon (160mm Canon) lens. That is look at the edges of the 150mm print and crop or cut the 100mm print so that the edges end on that inner portion of your print at the same places the edges of your 150mm print ended.

You now lay that centre section you cut out to one side of your cut up 100mm print and you can now understand the difference in sensor sizes. The 100mm print is the full frame sensor (New Mavic 2 Pro size) and the piece you cut out and placed to one side of that print, is the effective size of the cropped image sensor of your other cropped sensor camera (New Mavic Zoom camera).

I hope I have made this understandable for those not really into understanding cameras and sensor sizes. So, in a nut shell, you should have the same quality but probably better quality when using a one inch sensor (New Mavic2 Hasselblad camera) when you zoom in or crop the image in post production to equate to the are you get with your new Mavic Zoom, but you have better tonal range and better low noise quality in that image with the full one inch sensor, than you would get with the Zoom version of the Mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+