DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic 2 latest firmware? 1.00.0790

_seven

Reactions
was doing a downward vision calibration, I checked the FW and there's an update. im currently at the previous 1.00.0770 and there's a new 1.00.0790. was trying to get more details, only release notes in Assistant 2 is "optimized flight ". havent pulled the trigger to update yet as the it currently flies great and I opted to use it more than my Mavic 3

Reactions: 1TenaciousG
only release notes in Assistant 2 is "optimized flight ".
There are no regulations that require DJI to disclose exactly what is included in these updates. I’ve always thought the term “optimized flight” is just like what is attached to the hook on the working end of a fishing pole. Bait.
You are on the right path by exercising caution.

DJI has always been tight lipped about what bugs are fixed in firmware. Some people might view it as bait (in which case, you might be afraid to download that scary new DJI restriction), others figured that they don't mention the bugs fixed because it opens them up to litigation for aircrafts crashed (in which case you're potential skipping a fix that causes the aircraft to fly better).

Your choice.

The only reason I updated to .0770 was a fix that prevented bricking batteries. I see no reason to update to .0790 until I know exactly what it does to my M2Pro.
I guess one of the "fixes" is to prevent Drone-Hacks from working.
If it ain't broken, don't fix it :)

There is almost certainly no fix here to avoid crash or something else of this importance.
Much more likely a hidden trap for anyone who wants to keep free this drone from the overtaken DJI shackles/restrictions.
And even if it weren't a trap, the risk of no longer being able to roll back the firmware and get back the previous aircraft freedom (through the functions that well-known website/s allow to do), is quite real.
Many would weep for falling for it so naively, despite the repeated warnings, here and there!
Have a long view, even thinking about a possible resale of the drone. For example, with that new firmware (to date) I would never buy it from you, I would not add it to my fleet of DJI drones.

⚠️ Forewarned is forearmed ⚠️

Which warnings? I mean, actual verified occurrences of "hidden" firmware updates that restricted freedoms? Please feel free to point to any example of this actually happening.
Frequent and continuous, for years.
The last one with the DJI Mini 3/Pro.
Those who don't want to see and don't want to search, don't see and don't search.
I don't waste time proving it to you.

Frequent and continuous, for years.
The last one with the DJI Mini 3/Pro.
Those who don't want to see and don't want to search, don't see and don't search.
I don't waste time proving it to you.

Yeah, I didn't think you could.

PS: you're the one making the claim, so the burden of proof is on you.

Edit: we're talking "hidden" restrictions in firmware, not fully announced functionality such as GeoFencing or Remote ID.

Also, some anecdotes like a dude/ette in some forum thinking they think they have some new unannounced restrictions and they strongly suspect they may have come in a firmware release? That's not proof, it's just more unfounded suspicions (see: conspiracy). Yeah, you could probably provide a long list of links to those and they wouldn't prove a damned thing.

Also, I don't know where you're from, but restrictions here in the states generally revolve around public safety and protecting manned aircraft in controlled airspaces. Are those the kind of "freedoms" you're talking about being taken away, or something else?

Chris

Last edited:
Until DJI "bricks" my drone I'm not doing any more firmware updates. I have to assume there are lots of little "Easter Eggs" to be found in the programming. I'm not sure if any of this applies to the M2 series, but at some point you can't roll back firmware or even hack it. Right now I haven't done any 3rd party hacks on my M2P, but geofencing has been a problem, even when "unlocked". I will always fly responsibly and live responsibly. I just don't want to have to ask permission from a corporation or a government if I can do something that I have legal rights to do. Nor do I want to become victim of what will be a questionable 4th amendment violation. I'll stop here without going further on that. So much to say though.

Reactions: trungduong
Which warnings? I mean, actual verified occurrences of "hidden" firmware updates that restricted freedoms? Please feel free to point to any example of this actually happening.
Sorry to tell you, DJI has been adding restrictions in firmware releases, with and without mention in the release notes, since the Phantom 3 Pro.

I couldn't care less whether you believe it or not, update or not, etc. Just stating a fact.

They have also usually fixed things with new FW as you would expect. But they have also broken things, and in some instances, severely broken, directly causing crashes. There is good and bad. Guys that blindly update to the latest version of a FW without a second thought are rolling the dice. With more experience, guys will let others roll the dice, watch for results, and then decide.

Reactions: rhberg and Starz
Sorry to tell you, DJI has been adding restrictions in firmware releases, with and without mention in the release notes, since the Phantom 3 Pro.

I couldn't care less whether you believe it or not, update or not, etc. Just stating a fact.

I think you and I may have differing definitions of fact. I usually have to actually experience it (as opposed to hearing speculation on forums), or see it documented by an authorities source.

Opinions aren't facts.

(And my personal experience is even suspect since I could be wrong, so I would prefer to have my suspicions verified.)

They have also usually fixed things with new FW as you would expect. But they have also broken things, and in some instances, severely broken, directly causing crashes. There is good and bad. Guys that blindly update to the latest version of a FW without a second thought are rolling the dice. With more experience, guys will let others roll the dice, watch for results, and then decide.

Any company that releases new versions of software / firmware is sustainably keeping their products up to date and it should be no surprise to anyone that it occasionally breaks something. It happens to drones, it happens to refrigerators and it happens to cars (which have led to fatalities) and also actual commercial aircraft (Boeing passenger jets). You're probably already aware of what comes next (they fix what broke). Staying away from firmware to keep from crashing bugs could also mean not getting fixes that keep you from crashes due to bugs (or design failures).

But who said anything about blind updating? I have no problems with waiting and do that myself.

I simply take issue with people who are certain that these firmware releases are nothing more than "bait" to take firmware with new restrictions. Read the thread above if you missed that.

Also, nobody has defined what these restrictions are. I notice that so far, my question above about what the perceived lost "freedoms" are have gone unanswered.

Chris

on the pleasure of free flight in the land of enchantment as far as cities people and airports my mavic pro lights up red and won,t fly 10 minutes later fighter jets shake the windows out of the house at A 100 feet So we stay way out of the city for flights anyway thats were me and the M1P,s do are get rich skeems that never work anyway

I think you and I may have differing definitions of fact. I usually have to actually experience it (as opposed to hearing speculation on forums), or see it documented by an authorities source.
Hey Chris,

May I ask what was your very first DJI drone? For refterence, I have been involved in the DJI ecosystem since the Phantom (1) purchased new.

Not really, but I have a feeling that you're going to tell me (us), as if the anecdote somehow validates the opinion that DJI releases firmware as "bait" for "hidden restrictions".
No, I'm not going to tell you anything about it other than it was implemented over time, and I can tell you the FW release notes did not highlight that user control was being restricted. Those discussions in forums are still there if you want to go on a history tour.

Regarding the "bait" comment. I'm not saying that DJI tries to bait users to update, although if I saw an inside memo that said as much it wouldn't surprise me. I'm saying that they leave things off of the release notes that would not play well with the user base. If you've been paying attention since the P3P, I'm pretty surprised you are of the opinion that DJI does not strategically leave things out of the release notes from time to time, and is totally transparent about the effects that a new FW will have, is all.

Some people might view it as bait
And some don’t. There are many DJI users that when that message appears, the button gets clicked and nary an issue arises.
I‘m just not a participant in that method simply because there can be unwanted effects that I don’t want to contend with. The real numbers of good or bad effects could be discussed for some time and probably will continue well past what we are reading now.
The more important word in post #2 is the last one.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS