DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 or Skydio 2, that is the question.

I get the impression their VC backers are more interested in marketing than producing a product. And they're still thinking that "everyone will want one" even though the regulatory environment is clamping down on consumer UAVs. Even the price point is set to sell millions at Best Buy instead of thousands to first responders and inspectors.

I'll wait and see, but for the most part I'm done with 12MP sensors. 4K video is great but 20MP+ stills and good glass are much more useful. I have a pretty specific use in mind for a drone that can handle flying though trees (mapping telecom equipment and reading small labels on it), but tree avoidance won't help if I don't get good data back.

New video about skydio 2
Well it is something what mavic 2 cant do and it look really nice but lets face the truth most of drone pilots wont need this function.
Those props in shoots though...
Looked like another episode of "How great am I?" I hope you noted that the poster listed 5 or 6 sponsors. No bias there.

And the inevitable letdown when the product started to be used. I have a Solo I've been using for under-the-hood training, and with the Open Solo project it has become a pretty nice platform. But the stock firmware and some hardware (GPS, WiFi radios) were pretty bad and it took a lot of effort just to get a stable hover.
if you still use it - get latest master arducopter code, and review dynamic harmonic notch filter feature - you will be amazed how much better it all is now.
this and other threads for help: Tuning the Harmonic Notch

If you like filming in these kind of locations none of the others will do it. Here is some footage I wouldn't try with my M2P even with my insurance.

If you like filming in these kind of locations none of the others will do it. Here is some footage I wouldn't try with my M2P even with my insurance.

I just cancelled my Skydio r2 pre-order and bought a M2P after all, for 1099 refurbished with warranty.

The guy who made this above Skyrido r2 video is the same guy who stated flatly in his comment section that your Skydio warranty will be voided by Skydio if you fly around small branches like this.

This guy has close connections to Skydio, and for all we know he may have crashed another Skydio in trying to get this shot right. Since he's clearly working with Skydio to make these videos, it's entirely possible that they gave him a couple of them, and told him not to worry about crashing one or two.

There also may very well have been some modifications to his drone(s) made by Skydio. From other videos, the Skydio 2 would refuse to pass through openings of less than 5-6 feet, about a meter on each side. See the "Honest review of Skydio 2" from the mountain bike guy. Even when flown by hand, his Skydio 2 would not pass through tight spaces like in this video.

So it's entirely possible, if not probable, that Skydio gave this guy a drone with altered software, reducing the safety distance to 6" or 1 foot instead of the apparently standard 1 meter on every side of the drone.

I strongly suspect people are going to get their Skydio 2s and be shocked that they can't fly like this, because of the large 1 meter buffer zones on every side of the drone in the consumer version:

We will know pretty soon.

Yup. I just found this comment from Skydio in the last video I posted above:

Skydio writes:
That footage at the end was sick! You can see the impact that having more space has on how cinematic the footage. Definitely, some dense obstacles you had there at the beginning. Skydio 2 needs about a meter of clearance on all sides to make the gap, looks like you needed a little bit more room in some of those spots.

-

So maaaybe Skydio will go through sub-1 meter distances if you fly by remote control, but I'm skeptical. We'll find out in days, if not hours.

UPDATE: Another commenter said that a firmware update shrunk the Skydio 2 buffer zone from 1 meter to 50 cm, which is less than a foot. So that would open up a lot of tight squeeze flying, if true.

UPDATE: Another commenter said that a firmware update shrunk the Skydio 2 buffer zone from 1 meter to 50 cm, which is less than a foot. So that would open up a lot of tight squeeze flying, if true.

Other sources indicated that the smaller OA bubble was a software feature for the Pro version and would not be available on the consumer version. There has been a lot of whining about this. Don't think it is clear yet whether they will make that available to all at some point.

It might result in more mishaps unless it is also implemented with a reduction in speed to give the S2 more reaction time.

Reactions: Scouts
Other sources indicated that the smaller OA bubble was a software feature for the Pro version and would not be available on the consumer version. There has been a lot of whining about this. Don't think it is clear yet whether they will make that available to all at some point.

It might result in more mishaps unless it is also implemented with a reduction in speed to give the S2 more reaction time.

Thanks, that makes sense.

This is why I think they made a big mistake by eliminating the prop cage design like in R1. And I don't think you could add custom 3rd party prop guards because they would get in the way of the cameras.

Most people buying this think they're getting total vision awareness of small branches, and they also think Skydio will replace your drone if you crash it. They will end up wishing they just had a prop cage and a smaller buffer zone.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Most people buying this think they're getting total vision awareness of small branches, and they also think Skydio will replace your drone if you crash it.

They will end up wishing they just had a prop cage and a smaller buffer zone.

State Farm Insurance lets me fly with a little less concern; I never want to crash, but don't worry about the cost as much. Haven't downed my M2P yet in a year and a half and figure this one will be harder to if flown responsibly. Blasting through the woods at high speed is not something I would try to begin with.

I have no interest in prop cages. Size, flight time reduction, setup time are all negatives for prop cages.

The above video was filmed with the standard OA bubble which gives the most protection against running into things by keeping it further away with the larger buffer zone.

50cm is over 1.5 feet. So the Skydio needs a gap over 1.2m to pass through

Two different OA bubbles per Skydio, standard 1 meter all around {radius}, smaller with Pro software.

May change with all the complaining!

Those are impressive specs - if it delivers then I'd be tempted.
yes. the first autel evo had props in the view and it was one of primary reasons why i did not get it and went into dji - so, will see how much of an improvement this ver. 2.0 will be. and what price level this model will demand, with replaceable gimbals.

You dont feel like this skydio 2 hype is oversaturated? Think about it. Youtubers are doing everything to praise new product so they can grow. Keep calm wait for true reviews.
Yes it was all over one day then not much
The good new is they still expect to start shipping last Month

I got my money back too much delay no hope for real ship dates when asked
I went from the Skydio 2 Drone at $999.00 plus remote $149.00 to
OK new upgrade kit now available at $1,500.00!
More than I want to spend
OK nicer case more batteries etc
I now see this $1,500.00 upgrade kit in stock and ships this Month!

Wait what? I was told like June 2020
looking in disbelief ?‍♂️ Then wait for it
$1,500.00 NO DRONE! so now add $999.00 for the Drone $2,500.00 Forget it!

i thought something was wrong with my eyes, but looking again i see right part of foreground in focus, background in focus, left middle out of focus, left lower corner in focus, left upper corner out?
it is bizarre. guy i the center is also out of focus.
1575737360192.png

Last edited:
Screen capture from a moving camera makes it hard to guess what if any the causes might be.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost