DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro - 1st Drone & nervous but excited to fly (Eastern Ontario)

Riftvalley84

Reactions
Hi! I'm new to the forum and have never flown a drone before but am excited to get started. I've watched YouTube videos, registered my drone and bought DJI Care Refresh. Now I need to take the plunge & get it in the air. I am happy to have this forum to turn to for help :) I know it isn't recommended to fly from a boat but any tips on doing so is greatly appreciated as we are snorkeling with humpback whales at the end of January and are hoping to get some great drone footage.

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .0ROJYyg.png

Reactions: Riftvalley84
Welcome to the forum! :)

Congratulations and enjoy your trip!
First, read and fully understand the instructions for your first flights.
Take it outside to an appropriate location and just play with it as much as you can.
If you are going out on a commercial boat. Call the owner and ask if it's OK.
If it's a friend's or your own boat, make sure you understand what laws might be applicable to you.
Do some research on "drones, whales, canada, laws" etc.
On my very first flight, I brought the drone back, it hovered at 4'. It was easy to grab from underneath. Controller in one hand, drone in the other... it did not like me trying to pull it down. It wanted to hold it's hover @ 4'. It revved up and pulled against my grip.
A moving boat will present challenges with up the vertical and lateral movements.
You'll find a number of drone loss footage from boats on youtube. There's always that chance of "OOPS".
You can probably get some great footage. Have fun and good luck.

Congratulations and enjoy your trip!
First, read and fully understand the instructions for your first flights.
Take it outside to an appropriate location and just play with it as much as you can.
If you are going out on a commercial boat. Call the owner and ask if it's OK.
If it's a friend's or your own boat, make sure you understand what laws might be applicable to you.
Do some research on "drones, whales, canada, laws" etc.
On my very first flight, I brought the drone back, it hovered at 4'. It was easy to grab from underneath. Controller in one hand, drone in the other... it did not like me trying to pull it down. It wanted to hold it's hover @ 4'. It revved up and pulled against my grip.
A moving boat will present challenges with up the vertical and lateral movements.
You'll find a number of drone loss footage from boats on youtube. There's always that chance of "OOPS".
You can probably get some great footage. Have fun and good luck.
Great advice! We are on a liveaboard for a week and I believe the boat will be anchored with a smaller boat heading out where the whales are. I will send them an e-mail to make sure a drone is allowed.

Hello am from the Philippines and I just recently acquired a mavic 2 pro. I am looking forward to learn and share on here hopefully improve on my flight and aerial photographic skills at the same time.

you need to fully understand how the RTH fuctions work before you fly in case there is an emergency while you are flying if you are on a moving boat you will need to set the home point as the controller before you take off otherwise the Mav will return to the point where you first took off from good luck hope you get some great footage of the Whales

you need to fully understand how the RTH fuctions work before you fly in case there is an emergency while you are flying if you are on a moving boat you will need to set the home point as the controller before you take off otherwise the Mav will return to the point where you first took off from good luck hope you get some great footage of the Whales

Hi OMM, correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t think setting your RTH to the controller makes any difference if the boat is moving. Unless I’m mistaken when setting RTH at the controller it will return to the controller position (as at when RTH was set), I don’t believe that this is a dynamic situation with the RTH constantly being updated to the new controller position as the boat moves.

I am fairly new to Mavic 2s so this might be outdated info but there are certainly Youtube videos showing this problem.

I know it isn't recommended to fly from a boat but any tips

@Skylane had some good suggestions. First and foremost get as much experience as you possibly can before you go.
I would expect there would be a significant amount of metal on the boat and it could cause magnetic interference. The hyperlink shows over 200 threads with those words. IMHO if you show magnetic interference when you turn everything on I strongly suggest you don't takeoff.
@old man mavic had a good point about setting RTH to RC
I know you have read the User Manual but read it and make notes and page numbers on things you aren't sure of and research.
An extra U3 memory card or two won't hurt either.

EDIT: It is a tad bit cool in Ontario, to get as much experience before leaving these touch screen sensitive gloves might help.

Have fun and share your adventures please.

Last edited:
Hello am from the Philippines and I just recently acquired a mavic 2 pro. I am looking forward to learn and share on here hopefully improve on my flight and aerial photographic skills at the same time.
Welcome!

Reactions: WolfyCH
Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy the Mavic2 Pro, absolutely love mine! Fly safe and have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming