DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro 4K60 what are the odds?

DJI needs competition to push them, especially on sensors and processors, at the same price points.

Reactions: brett8883
DJI needs competition to push them, especially on sensors and processors, at the same price points.

By sensors do you mean the camera sensors? They just use off the shelf Sony sensors in all their consumer drones, which are typically already best in class. It's the processing behind them that needs an upgrade IMHO. I suspect that will be the biggest upgrade from the "Platinum" or "Mavic 3" or whatever we get - fingers crossed.

Its very nice to read things from smart, non DJI-fans guys.
I think maybe later, in next model, dji prodeces real 1" 4k30p sensor, and after 1-3 years there will be real 4k60p 1" sensor in m2p form-sizes

Thanks - I have seen that but I don't get how it shows a specific difference between pixel binning and subsampling, which are similar but 2 different things. The P4P without a doubt puts out better video than the M2P, I just wish it folded up just as small :mad:
Pixel binning IS exactly sub sampling. So, subsampling and pixel binning are both correct statements. In other words, "sub sampling" is a generic term for "pixel binning".

Even line skipping falls inside the "sub sampling" catagory. (Its the worst form of sub sampling)

What we want is full pixel read out (oversampled 5k readout, 5k image assembly and then final 5k downscale to 4k)

Sony is the full pixel readout master! Panasonic does it too. (By way of using Sony IMX272 and other sensors)

We know the M2P has the Sony full pixel readout mode "available"....its just turned off today. (Because of processing or heat or Phantom5 protection)

Cliff Totten

Pixel binning IS exactly sub sampling. So, subsampling and pixel binning are both correct statements. In other words, "sub sampling" is a generic term for "pixel binning".

Even line skipping falls inside the "sub sampling" catagory. (Its the worst form of sub sampling)

What we want is full pixel read out (oversampled 5k readout, 5k image assembly and then final 5k downscale to 4k)

Sony is the full pixel readout master! Panasonic does it too. (By way of using Sony IMX272 and other sensors)

We know the M2P has the Sony full pixel readout mode "available"....its just turned off today. (Because of processing or heat or Phantom5 protection)

Cliff Totten

Same category yes, but not the same thing. Here is a good illustration for those interested:

Sometimes less means more – Subsampling, binning, or scaler - IDS Imaging Development Systems GmbH

And yes, I am hoping whatever the next iteration is, we get proper full sensor readout and maybe even 4K/60P. The Sony RX10 IV, for example, can do 30 minutes of 4K/30P with full sensor readout with a similar 1" sensor - no reason DJI shouldn't be able to do at least that (or longer) with a bigger, actively cooled package to boot. Even if they reserve the 60P for the Phantom line I'll take that compromise if they can give us proper sensor readout. Based on how easily it's being done in smaller, passively cooled packages, I'm guessing it's being limited artificially in the M2P for Phantom protection, but it's impossible to say for sure.

Same category yes, but not the same thing. Here is a good illustration for those interested:

Sometimes less means more – Subsampling, binning, or scaler - IDS Imaging Development Systems GmbH

And yes, I am hoping whatever the next iteration is, we get proper full sensor readout and maybe even 4K/60P. The Sony RX10 IV, for example, can do 30 minutes of 4K/30P with full sensor readout with a similar 1" sensor - no reason DJI shouldn't be able to do at least that (or longer) with a bigger, actively cooled package to boot. Even if they reserve the 60P for the Phantom line I'll take that compromise if they can give us proper sensor readout. Based on how easily it's being done in smaller, passively cooled packages, I'm guessing it's being limited artificially in the M2P for Phantom protection, but it's impossible to say for sure.
You article is good. But as I said earlier, their example of "sub sampling" is the "line skipping" technique. (As I said before, worst kind of sub sampling)

Subsampling using "pixel binning" is the other example shown. Notice how they list "pixel binning" as having "better image quality". This we all know.

So, back to what I have been saying for a year. You have pixel binning and line skipping. Both are in the subsampling catagory.....So, DJI was careful not to legally lie to us. ;- )

Cliff Totten.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser