DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Auxiliary Lighting

WxPIC

Reactions
It seems as though the primary intention for the Auxiliary Bottom Light is that it "improves visibility for the Downward Vision System in weak light conditions." (user manual)

I'm wondering if the auxiliary bottom light also satisfies the rules for flying according to Part 107 during civil twilight.

§ 107.29 Daylight operation.
(b) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during periods of civil twilight unless the small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles.

Can these lights be spotted 3 statute miles away during civil twilight? Is there a rating for that, in the same way that smartphones can be rated for how water-proof they are?

The bottom light may be visible to the ground operator but would not be visible to other aircraft.

Reactions: WxPIC
The bottom light may be visible to the ground operator but would not be visible to other aircraft.

I suspected that would be the case. Thanks for the reply! I wish FAA was a bit more specific on their requirements for anti-collision lighting.

Strobon Strobe Lights for the Mavic satisfy this requirement and can be seen at a distance of 3 Miles. There pretty small and use internal batteries. Search this forum and Google for information. Many have used them with great results.

Reactions: Turn11 and WxPIC
Strobon Strobe Lights for the Mavic satisfy this requirement and can be seen at a distance of 3 Miles. There pretty small and use internal batteries. Search this forum and Google for information. Many have used them with great results.
Thanks @BD0G!

And it's only visible to the operator when the drone is level or tilted toward the operator. If flying back home in sport mode (for example), the drone will be titled backward and the light will most likely not be visible.

I suspected that would be the case. Thanks for the reply! I wish FAA was a bit more specific on their requirements for anti-collision lighting.

You have to dig into the bowels of the internet, but the FAA is very specific about the definition of and requirements for anti-collision lighting on aircraft. Basically your lights need to have 360 degree coverage. I think there are some color requirements, too. I’ve done research on this in the past for something else and ended up reading scanned documents from the 1960’s.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WTF-N1466