DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro camera does not take a pic every time I press to release the shutter.

peikko

Reactions
Pretty much every other time when I try to release the shutter from my controller while flying, nothing happens...

Then after a while the camera shoots all the failed attempts kind of in a burst mode. ( fast one after another. )

As you know, there is a sound when the shutter is release, so it is easy to know when it happens...

I am using the basic controller. Not the Smart controller.

Anyone else experienced this ?

BR,

Antti

Reactions: frank candor
Turn up the volume on your device and switch off vibrate and it will make a shutter sound. Check your camera settings, it almost sounds like you have it set to countdown and abs or burst. Also make sure you focus before taking a shot. If you don’t and it’s on auto-focus it will focus and then take the shot after you click the shutter release.

Reactions: Napolyon1
It auto focuses initially, you probably aren't waiting quite long enough or pressing far enough.
Try it in controlled conditions on the ground or hovering nearby.
It's definitely a little more tricky than original Mavic if you are used to that.

Check you have a good fast memory card: when using a slow card and taking RAW AEB images, there is a lot of thinking time between pressing the shutter and all the images being recorded. If you try and press the shutter again before the recording has finished, you get that nothing happening effect

I found that on the M2 you need to hold the button down a second or so until you heard the shutter sound, a fast click is likely to cause that.

What @Kilrah said, on the M2 it does a focus then shutter release. You have to hold the button through the process.

Experiment to find the sweet spot for time. I haven't tried what @brett8883 said but it sounds right. (no pun intended)

peikko: Unlike the original Mavic, the M2's have a 2-step shutter button just like any DSLR or P&S. Press half way to focus and then continue to press fully to snap the photo.

Are you starting in video mode? Because the first press of the shutter button will only switch you from video to photo mode and not actually take a photo.

Also, the shutter button is 2-stage - half press for AF, full press for a photo. Make sure it's going down all the way.

I have the SC but the photos take instantly when in the correct mode, I don't have to hold anything down.

I've actually had this happen on my Mavic Pro. First couple times it happened, I ignored it, thinking that I simply didn't press the button all the way. But, while it doesn't happen often, it's happened enough that I KNOW it's not because of the the way I'm pressing the button. When it does happen, I press again...sometimes twice...before it triggers the shutter.

I've actually had this happen on my Mavic Pro. First couple times it happened, I ignored it, thinking that I simply didn't press the button all the way. But, while it doesn't happen often, it's happened enough that I KNOW it's not because of the the way I'm pressing the button. When it does happen, I press again...sometimes twice...before it triggers the shutter.

Every single time this has happened to me I was in video mode and didn't realize it, so the first press does not take a photo and switches me over to camera mode, and then subsequent presses took photos as expected. What you describe sounds exactly like that, but obviously I don't know for sure. That might be all it is though as sometimes it's not immediately obvious which mode you're in.

Also make sure you are in normal single shot photo mode, not burst, bracket, pano, etc.

Last edited:
Now you have me wondering....Hmmmm! Gonna check this out next flight.

Take a look at the Operator Manual starting on page 37 through page 39. It deals with camera and storage on SD card. The Operator Manual and all documentation and software can be located here
Then start on page 41 in the RC section. It talks about the buttons and specifically how the RC interfaces to the camera.

I have not experienced it at all, but I have experienced computer/tablet delays and this sounds like it could be one, like when the computer acts like you didn't click on a menu and so you try clicking more and then all of a sudden it does them all at once.
Is it possible to try it using another device just to see if it does it on that on too? Is the device nearly out of space or possibly older? The app seems to have hefty requirements to run smoothly.

As some above have mentioned, the way to think of it is as a flying camera. If you are shooting pictures in Auto like nearly every modern camera or DSLR you need to take a half pressure and hold it which will activate your AF allowing the camera to auto-focus, (you should see a green AF bracket) then follow through with a full pressure to release the shutter and take the picture. Hope this helps.

As some above have mentioned, the way to think of it is as a flying camera. If you are shooting pictures in Auto like nearly every modern camera or DSLR you need to take a half pressure and hold it which will activate your AF allowing the camera to auto-focus, (you should see a green AF bracket) then follow through with a full pressure to release the shutter and take the picture. Hope this helps.

I agree with you and many others here of have stated that but he says his problem is that it takes a whole bunch at once which would not be explained by normal behavior for this device:

"Then after a while the camera shoots all the failed attempts kind of in a burst mode. ( fast one after another. )"

Ahh.. Missed that. Wonder is the bird set to burst mode?

Attachments

• mavic.jpg
    mavic.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 16
Turn up the volume on your device and switch off vibrate and it will make a shutter sound. Check your camera settings, it almost sounds like you have it set to countdown and abs or burst. Also make sure you focus before taking a shot. If you don’t and it’s on auto-focus it will focus and then take the shot after you click the shutter release.
The sound is on and that is the very reason I hear the shutter of the camera not doing the thing it should. After flying for 10 secs all of a sudden all the failed attempts ( for example pressing the release three times ) shoot in a kind of a burst mode ane after another - bang, bang, bang... Hope this makes sense ; )

I have not experienced it at all, but I have experienced computer/tablet delays and this sounds like it could be one, like when the computer acts like you didn't click on a menu and so you try clicking more and then all of a sudden it does them all at once.
Is it possible to try it using another device just to see if it does it on that on too? Is the device nearly out of space or possibly older? The app seems to have hefty requirements to run smoothly.
Hello Bryce. That is EXACTLY what is happening.

I agree with you and many others here of have stated that but he says his problem is that it takes a whole bunch at once which would not be explained by normal behavior for this device:

"Then after a while the camera shoots all the failed attempts kind of in a burst mode. ( fast one after another. )"
Hello guys. I am a professional photographer with 25+ years of experience. I am fully aware of the auto focus function and half pressing the shutter release. This has nothing to do with that... ; )

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000