DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro fell out of the sky yesterday....

If the issue for these Mavic 2 Pros falling out of the sky is due to the battery not being fully seated (fully clicked into place) then in addition to an FAA aeronautical test some people need a "how to properly install a battery" test.

Seriously, it's a pretty basic safety step. It shouldn't be something that happens. Yeah, yeah, people are human and humans make mistakes. Well, not making sure a battery is fully and securely seated isn't a mistake, it's carelessness. If a commercial airplane falls out of the sky due to lack of fuel would that simply be a mistake?

Given the stories that get posted in this forum, I find myself wondering if there should be some sort of common sense test before people are allowed to even buy a drone.

Mark
Could you accept, to the extent it is relevant to the cause of power failure, not getting the battery in properly could just be a careless mistake? People make them all the time, all of us (even you without question). It’s part of the human condition. People also have varying degrees of mechanical aptitude. The aircraft fuel scenario you provide is a poor analogy. Ground crew (including the refueling) and the flight crew are well trained and follow procedure and checklists. Even then that mistake has happened more than once.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Could you accept, to the extent it is relevant to the cause of power failure, not getting the battery in properly could just be a careless mistake? People make them all the time, all of us (even you without question). It’s part of the human condition. People also have varying degrees of mechanical aptitude. The aircraft fuel scenario you provide is a poor analogy. Ground crew (including the refueling) and the flight crew are well trained and follow procedure and checklists. Even then that mistake has happened more than once.

Careless mistakes are exactly what concern me. That's why I believe that Congress and the FAA should go farther and require significant testing for every drone pilot. Drone pilots SHOULD be required to enroll in some level of training/safety course and they SHOULD be taught to follow procedures and checklists. I check the propellers and battery on my Mavic EVERY time I'm going to fly. Not just glance at the props, I physically check them to make sure they are locked into position. I make sure the battery is fully seated. I NEVER take off until I have GPS lock from at least a dozen satellites.

Safety is paramount. And the pilots with a blatant disregard for rules and safety should be weeded out by making it costly and difficult to legally fly.

Mark

Reactions: WithTheBirds
Careless mistakes are exactly what concern me. That's why I believe that Congress and the FAA should go farther and require significant testing for every drone pilot. Drone pilots SHOULD be required to enroll in some level of training/safety course and they SHOULD be taught to follow procedures and checklists. I check the propellers and battery on my Mavic EVERY time I'm going to fly. Not just glance at the props, I physically check them to make sure they are locked into position. I make sure the battery is fully seated. I NEVER take off until I have GPS lock from at least a dozen satellites.

Safety is paramount. And the pilots with a blatant disregard for rules and safety should be weeded out by making it costly and difficult to legally fly.

Mark
Agreed.... No question. While clearly it will provide a barrier to entry some scheme that requires a level of competence to be demonstrated must be a good thing.

I've had my battery almost come out on my Mavic Pro once, it was seated properly and all as I check every time but it was particularly windy that day and it must have been enough to wiggle the battery out. I noticed as I was landing it wasnt sitting right and hanging in there by a hair. Fortunately the way the Mavic battery sits on top (unlike the Spark/Air) the drone didtn fall out of the sky. I find with the Mavic 2 the battery doesnt seem to "click" in as securely as it did on the Air and Mavic Pro, battery seems to come out just a tad easier when pressing the buttons to release. I hope it doesnt become a problem in the future for my Mavic 2.

Reactions: Fatboy55
Agreed.... No question. While clearly it will provide a barrier to entry some scheme that requires a level of competence to be demonstrated must be a good thing.

Even tiny barriers to entry usually weed out the majority of the irresponsible/incompetent people. If all we had to do was pay $25 for a licence and take an afternoon course before we were allowed to buy one, right away that would weed out most of them - at least I think it would. I would certainly be in support of something like that given that it's a small minority or irresponsible users that usually ruins things for the rest of us.

Reactions: Photo Booth
How many people remember the fiasco with CBs (Citizens Band radio's for the younger folk) back in the mid 70's?

AFTER there were millions of CB radio's in the general public's hands SOME started to use them wrong, really wrong. The FCC put out a mandate that ALL radio's be licensed.
Fat Chance.
This sure looks awfully similar. The only difference now is the AC can be tracked (I EXPECT) electronically.

This sure looks awfully similar. The only difference now is the AC can be tracked (I EXPECT) electronically.

Not only CAN they be tracked, HR 302 requires that the FAA work with drone manufacturers to develop a nationwide system specifically FOR tracking drones.

The day is coming (in the maybe not too distant future) that our drones will appear on some form of ATC and/or manned aircraft tracking system. And you can bet your bootie that there could be penalties for trying to shut it off.

Mark

Even tiny barriers to entry usually weed out the majority of the irresponsible/incompetent people. If all we had to do was pay $25 for a licence and take an afternoon course before we were allowed to buy one, right away that would weed out most of them - at least I think it would. I would certainly be in support of something like that given that it's a small minority or irresponsible users that usually ruins things for the rest of us.

I think the mandated class and testing would dissuade more people than the $25 fee.

Personally, I think the drone registration fee should be at least $100/yr. And the class and testing should cost a nice (separate) sum. Make people think twice or three times before buying a drone.

Mark

How many people remember the fiasco with CBs (Citizens Band radio's for the younger folk) back in the mid 70's?

AFTER there were millions of CB radio's in the general public's hands SOME started to use them wrong, really wrong. The FCC put out a mandate that ALL radio's be licensed.
Fat Chance.
That FCC license requirement didn't last very long. Even with the licensing, there were those using illegal amps bleeding into radios, TVs. Even my portable cassette recorder picked up my neighbor across the street if I had my recorder plugged in.

Reactions: Turn11
Not only CAN they be tracked, HR 302 requires that the FAA work with drone manufacturers to develop a nationwide system specifically FOR tracking drones.

DJI drones already do and can be tracked with DJI Aeroscope which can decrypt ocusync and show the operator all sorts of information about your flight. I'm sure it wouldnt take much to get it industrialised and installed in ATC towers etc.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

That FCC license requirement didn't last very long. Even with the licensing, there were those using illegal amps bleeding into radios, TVs. Even my portable cassette recorder picked up my neighbor across the street if I had my recorder plugged in.
Yep that is as I remember it also.
Technology is different now, there are ways to jail break anything.

Locks keep honest people honest. The size of the lock determines how honest.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes