DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro fell out of the sky yesterday....

If the issue for these Mavic 2 Pros falling out of the sky is due to the battery not being fully seated (fully clicked into place) then in addition to an FAA aeronautical test some people need a "how to properly install a battery" test.

Seriously, it's a pretty basic safety step. It shouldn't be something that happens. Yeah, yeah, people are human and humans make mistakes. Well, not making sure a battery is fully and securely seated isn't a mistake, it's carelessness. If a commercial airplane falls out of the sky due to lack of fuel would that simply be a mistake?

Given the stories that get posted in this forum, I find myself wondering if there should be some sort of common sense test before people are allowed to even buy a drone.

Mark

If the issue for these Mavic 2 Pros falling out of the sky is due to the battery not being fully seated (fully clicked into place) then in addition to an FAA aeronautical test some people need a "how to properly install a battery" test.

Seriously, it's a pretty basic safety step. It shouldn't be something that happens. Yeah, yeah, people are human and humans make mistakes. Well, not making sure a battery is fully and securely seated isn't a mistake, it's carelessness. If a commercial airplane falls out of the sky due to lack of fuel would that simply be a mistake?

Given the stories that get posted in this forum, I find myself wondering if there should be some sort of common sense test before people are allowed to even buy a drone.

Mark

I'm not convinced that unlatched batteries account for all the events reported, although without readable aircraft DAT files (@BudWalker is on that one) I can't be certain. These kind of battery events have typically been triggered by sudden acceleration/deceleration/attitude changes, but there are clear instances of M2s shutting down in stable hover or descent.

I'm not convinced that unlatched batteries account for all the events reported, although without readable aircraft DAT files (@BudWalker is on that one) I can't be certain. These kind of battery events have typically been triggered by sudden acceleration/deceleration/attitude changes, but there are clear instances of M2s shutting down in stable hover or descent.

Like I said, *if* it's due to improperly installed batteries. I have all the sympathy in the world if it is a DJI software/firmware/hardware issue. If it's proven that the battery latching mechanism in the Mavic 2 Pro is somehow substandard or poorly designed, plenty of sympathy too.

But if it is simply because pilots aren't paying enough attention to what they are doing... that's a completely different subject.

I find it hard to believe that DJI didn't test the heck out of the Mavic 2 Pro. Common sense would suggest that it is most likely user error. But I'd LOVE to be proven wrong because I don't like the feeling of thinking there might be too many careless people out there flying drones.

Mark

Like I said, *if* it's due to improperly installed batteries. I have all the sympathy in the world if it is a DJI software/firmware/hardware issue. If it's proven that the battery latching mechanism in the Mavic 2 Pro is somehow substandard or poorly designed, plenty of sympathy too.

But if it is simply because pilots aren't paying enough attention to what they are doing... that's a completely different subject.

I find it hard to believe that DJI didn't test the heck out of the Mavic 2 Pro. Common sense would suggest that it is most likely user error. But I'd LOVE to be proven wrong because I don't like the feeling of thinking there might be too many careless people out there flying drones.

Mark

Agreed. It's easy enough not to clip both latches, at least on my M2P, just like it was on the MP and the P2/3/4. That doesn't, necessarily, imply a design flaw, although they did add a latch detector switch to the P4P. It's comparable to making sure that the props are fully latched.

But I was simply pointing out that I haven't seen an obvious candidate for a battery disconnect event on the M2 series.

.........although without readable aircraft DAT files (@BudWalker is on that one).......
I'm no longer working on decrypting the M2 .DAT files that come from the AC. Same for the Mavic Air. Unfortunately, the only alternative is the tablet .DAT which won't help much for the abrupt power loss scenario.

Reactions: wisesafe
Even with the battery not fully seated, I can't see it easily falling out, since it is on top. We're not able to do barrel rolls after all.
But I can see the battery wiggling loose enough to lose electrical contact.
Anyone notice that a set of contacts on the AC/charger are longer than the rest?

This stuff gives me the creeps. I raised the issue in another thread my concern about a catastrophic failure whilst (unfortunately) being above traffic or worse still an unlucky person. I know we should NEVER fly over unprotected people etc but on occasions it's difficult to avoid. Imagine the consequences should someone be seriously injured or killed by your falling drone... Imagine the consequences should your falling drone hit the windscreen of a vehicle and cause a serious accident. When I read threads like this I want to do all my aerial photography from the ground.

Where is the unlike button...
More to the point is that I've given up trying to figure out how they are encrypted. In the past the encryption keys have been left where they could be found and used. Kinda like having some serious locks on your house but then hiding the keys under the door mat. That's changed. At least the keys don't appear to be in any of the places I've looked.

Reactions: laurens23
This stuff gives me the creeps. I raised the issue in another thread my concern about a catastrophic failure whilst (unfortunately) being above traffic or worse still an unlucky person. I know we should NEVER fly over unprotected people etc but on occasions it's difficult to avoid. Imagine the consequences should someone be seriously injured or killed by your falling drone... Imagine the consequences should your falling drone hit the windscreen of a vehicle and cause a serious accident. When I read threads like this I want to do all my aerial photography from the ground.

Provided that you don't fly regularly and for extended periods over people, the probability of this kind of failure occurring while over someone is extremely small.

Provided that you don't fly regularly and for extended periods over people, the probability of this kind of failure occurring while over someone is extremely small.

I agree entirely, a remote possibility. A possibility nonetheless.

As a point of reference I took off recently with my Mavic 2 Pro to a height of about 4 feet. The aircraft was at that height for about 30 seconds. I then received an error from the DJI GO app. The error told me the battery was not properly seated in the drone. Basically I was shocked and somewhat confused.... Needless to say I landed. Upon inspecting the battery it was not pressed all the way in. It had not snapped completely in. It was making electrical contact but not locked in.

It was the second battery of the day. It was a quick remove battery #1 and replaced with battery #2. That sensor probably saved my Mavic from swimming with the fishes. Lesson learned!

So the moral to the story is the Mavic 2 Pro has a sensor to determine if the battery is properly seated in the battery compartment. Thanks DJI!
Exact thing happened to me. Got the battery message on hover, wondered what it is was about, landed, checked battery and sure enough the front edge was not quite down. Lightly pressed down, very slight clink. All was good to go afterwards. Pilot error.

Lucky, could have been much worse.
I am extra vigilant and have not had the problem (YET), knocking on wood and fingers crossed.
Would like to know if it occurs again. Pilot error (not pointing fingers) or mechanical problem.
God only knows I have had pilot errors, one cost me some $$ and some I got away with only a scare.

God only knows I have had pilot errors, one cost me some $$ and some I got away with only a scare.

Pilot errors... I'll tell you about pilot error. Yesterday I turned off sensing systems to see if it improved low altitude stability and flew my M2P straight into our garage door. Hmmm!
A few scuffs, one of the lights fell out and one propeller down the toilet. Luckily no serious damage it seems. So who's an idiot?

Reactions: Turn11
DJI app has a flight record and every flick of the two joysticks is recorded...... for our protection

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes