DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Flyaway

I am not saying the DJI systems are not FCC certified...

I am just speaking of our gear used... different limitations... Personal walkie talkies are given watts to work with... we get 100mw. It's also the frequencies we are allocated to work within as well. It's all different, but the small antennas on the controller or the drone itself will always work best without obstructions between transmitters and receivers.
That is my point. not the worthiness of DJI, it's accreditation with the FCC. or anything else you seem to be prodding.
I know you... your on every forum...

I am not saying the DJI systems are not FCC certified...

I am just speaking of our gear used... different limitations... Personal walkie talkies are given watts to work with... we get 100mw. It's also the frequencies we are allocated to work within as well. It's all different, but the small antennas on the controller or the drone itself will always work best without obstructions between transmitters and receivers.
That is my point. not the worthiness of DJI, it's accreditation with the FCC. or anything else you seem to be prodding.

Actually I was just curious about your comments about expensive and impressive your wireless gear is - I couldn't figure out where you were going with that. Did it have any relevance to the advice to maintain LOS?

Ocusync is certified at 26 dBm, so around 400 mW.

I know you... your on every forum...

No - you really don't. On the other hand....

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
You summed up your problem in just a couple of words; you just assume far too much. You assume that DJI's instructions are authoritative, even though they repeatedly contradict themselves on the compass issues. And then you assume that a degree in electronics (a competition that you are going to lose spectacularly by the way so put it back in the box) allows you just to make completely unsupported assertions and avoid addressing the actual technical points raised. When you have nothing to argue you can't reduce a discussion of technical issues to an appeal to the authority of your degree and a question of who believes what.

As for the compass threads - just because you disagree with the consensus of most of the posters here who have actually spent time researching and analyzing this subject, and have had your assertions repeatedly refuted, do not presume to judge that they are not useful. They have been very useful to many people, as a lot of the comments attest. They would be even more useful if you kept your assumptions and misinformation out of them.

By the way - a number of users have reported that DJI has removed the time and distance calibration requirements in the latest M2 firmware.

I assume nothing. You need to be more careful with your words.

I have posted many reference documents to justify my understanding. You have posted none. Meta4 replied he wont play that game and can't compete as his degree is in another disciple. I respect that.
My degree is not in a box it is on a wall with my Wife's 3 degrees and my Daughters Doctorate in bio Chemistry. I don't intend to lose it, I don't understand your comment.
I am not trying to justify my understanding by quoting my degree. I already posted all the reference material you need to educate a reasonable person.
You cant have a consensus without all parties agreeing. Use a dictionary. You have a number of members that agree with yours you have been spruiking and bullying on this subject for a long time.
interesting that you point out that DJI is inconsistent with their Documents.

Fort all those poster that have spent time researching and analysing this subject. Please post their results. What they did, What reface material they used and how they interpreted the results. Or where they just observing their models? I called that "Self taught by observation". In my post.

Its interesting that you choose to use only the ones that suit your position. Its called as I advised you before "confirmation bias".

God have us two ears and one mouth. It wasn't a mistake.

Cheers

Reactions: Asgard
So who was it that said "I can only assume they actually know how it works" ?
Someone at DJI probably does know how things work.
They design and manufacture superb equipment.
But the standard of their English documentation is far short of the DJI's technical expertise.
You don't need a lot of time working with DJI equipment and reading of issues on forums, to understand how their manuals are inconsistent and deficient in several areas, the compass being the prime example.
I have posted many reference documents to justify my understanding. You have posted none.
You may have posted documents but your understanding is dubious.
How many reference documents are particularly relevant to proper operation of the compass in a DJI drone.
Since the DJI documentation is lacking, the compass is something that clever people just have to work out with good old scientific principles.
And you would have to look very hard to find someone better equipped than Sar104 to determine exactly what compass calibration does and when it's needed.
That took a lot of time and collaboration with other users.
The work was all done scientifically and tested and is consistent with observations.
Meta4 replied he wont play that game and can't compete as his degree is in another disciple. I respect that.
My degree is not in a box it is on a wall with my Wife's 3 degrees and my Daughters Doctorate in bio Chemistry. I don't intend to lose it, I don't understand your comment.
I have a B.Sc and enough of an enquiring mind to question things and test hypotheses and evidence.
Biochemisty? 3 degrees? I am impressed!
If it helps, my wife has a collection of degrees and is a professor in an unrelated discipline and no interest in drones at all.
For someone so smart, it's odd that you didn't understand Sar's comment.
He was suggesting that if you wanted to compare qualifications, you'd come second.
You have a number of members that agree with yours you have been spruiking and bullying on this subject for a long time.
Bullying = helping members with accurate information and dispelling myth and superstition?

I have posted many reference documents to justify my understanding. You have posted none. Meta4 replied he wont play that game and can't compete as his degree is in another disciple. I respect that.
I am not trying to justify my understanding by quoting my degree. I already posted all the reference material you need to educate a reasonable person.
You cant have a consensus without all parties agreeing. Use a dictionary. You have a number of members that agree with yours you have been spruiking and bullying on this subject for a long time.

Fort all those poster that have spent time researching and analysing this subject. Please post their results. What they did, What reface material they used and how they interpreted the results. Or where they just observing their models? I called that "Self taught by observation". In my post.

Its interesting that you choose to use only the ones that suit your position. Its called as I advised you before "confirmation bias".

God have us two ears and one mouth. It wasn't a mistake.

Cheers

My patience with you is exhausted. There is nothing of substance in any of your posts. You do nothing but spread misinformation; your understanding of physics is pitiful, and I've not seen a single post where you have actually helped anyone. I will continue to refute your nonsense when you post it, but I'm not going to waste anymore time attempting to reason with you.

I'm sure the engineers at DJI had some reason to have the M2 require calibration after a certain time or distance.
If we only knew, we might settle this debate once and for all.

Not sure on the time Dan but I can tell you for sure as I have had to do it 2 times this month
when I drove south of me 2 hours when I went to fly it said I needed to do one and when I got back home I had the same thing and had to do it .
This has been 2 times this month .
Now did I try and fly by ignore it saying it , no but wish I had and will next time .

Not sure on the time Dan but I can tell you for sure as I have had to do it 2 times this month
when I drove south of me 2 hours when I went to fly it said I needed to do one and when I got back home I had the same thing and had to do it .
This has been 2 times this month .
Now did I try and fly by ignore it saying it , no but wish I had and will next time .

I haven't found any way to bypass the request.

So...in summary - Do I need to calibrate or not?

only when @sar104 tells you to do so. ;)

1: When the app requires you to calibrate.
First try moving a couple meter to make sure it is not just some local issue.

2: When you add something to the drone that contains metal.
For example a tracker, or lights. But not needed when adding plastic like leg extensions.
While unlikely to cause serious issues, a fresh calibration will be good practice.

3: When you have weird flying characteristics.
This is a tricky one. This could be compass related, but it can also be something else. Performing a compass calibration might be a way to eliminate a possible cause.
(There are reports where the drone will sometimes not fly straight, or slowly rotate when hovering without input, or hooks left/right when braking. Sometimes this is solved by a fresh compass calibration)

ALWAYS check the drone pointer on the map is pointing the same way as the drone is facing BEFORE takeoff! If it does not, DON'T start calibration. FIRST try a different location (few meter away) Calibration of the compass in an area with interference can/will mess things up.

When you do calibrate the compass make sure you are away from interference. No need to be in the middle of nowhere, but don't stand on concrete/metal, right next to a car or power lines, or inside a building. A park, a garden, or even an empty road/sidewalk should be fine.

Last edited:
Maybe that's true, but I never have. :D
It is not necessary to calibrate the compass, unless the App requests it. The magnetic deviation from true north is know for the world, so that information is available to the drone to adjust for location so even if calibration was done in China, that does not mean you need to do it here. Calibrations are usually used to accommodate local differences, if detected. It is also possible to replace a "good" calibration with a "bad" one if you calibrate near mag fields, like rebar in concrete, you may force incorrect data into the process.

It is not necessary to calibrate the compass, unless the App requests it. The magnetic deviation from true north is know for the world, so that information is available to the drone to adjust for location so even if calibration was done in China, that does not mean you need to do it here. Calibrations are usually used to accommodate local differences, if detected. It is also possible to replace a "good" calibration with a "bad" one if you calibrate near mag fields, like rebar in concrete, you may force incorrect data into the process.
The calibration process is intended to, if necessary, compensate for (effectively remove) the magnet influence of the drone and any added components.

You can travel as far as you like and it has no effect the compass.

the few with big heads on here, argue like kindergarten children , guys strutting arrogant egos behind the securty of a web pages, I wonder how you behave in the real world? I bet your mouths aren't as arrogant and filthy then. If anyone didn't know something and needed to ask it on here , god help them to be ridiculed by you lot with your condescending attitudes for no knowing it. You people are really pathetic.

And by the way, I am in China this last few weeks, and as much as I tried, there was no way I could fly my MP2 without having to recalibaret the compass. Please explain your thoery?

jcampen: We all understand your frustration but in this case, WTB is correct, you do not need to calibrate the compass simply because the aircraft is moved from its previous location, regardless of distance. Ever tried using the compass on your phone? You can fly across the globe and it will still give you accurate information as long as you're not in an area with magnetic interference. The drone works the same way. AFAIK, every instance reported was caused by local magnetic interference. If the drone has a good heading and good GPS, with no other issues, it will fly normally.

Just returned from a small trip in a city 500Km away my home town. The very first moment I tried to fly my MP2 in that city it requested a compass calibration. I did several flights in the area and there was no other request for compass calibration.

When I returned back, I tried to fly in my neighborhood. In that moment the MP2 asked for a calibration again. All the next flights did not request a calibration.

I am at the latest version in both ios app and firmware, therefore I believe the 50Km distance for triggering the calibration is still present.

I wish DJI could explain why they decided to put in the new Mavic 2 such a procedure when in the old MP1 there wasn't.

jcampen: We all understand your frustration but in this case, WTB is correct, you do not need to calibrate the compass simply because the aircraft is moved from its previous location, regardless of distance. Ever tried using the compass on your phone? You can fly across the globe and it will still give you accurate information as long as you're not in an area with magnetic interference. The drone works the same way. AFAIK, every instance reported was caused by local magnetic interference. If the drone has a good heading and good GPS, with no other issues, it will fly normally.

Note that at least some M2 aircraft are still requesting compass calibration every 30 days or if the location changes by more than 50 km. However, that's being arbitrarily required by the firmware rather than because there is any sound technical reason for it. On the last occasion that my M2P required it I checked the compass to see if there were any actual compass issues triggering it - the compass was performing fine in terms of accuracy and reported interference levels.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toninhostark