DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Flyaway

My inexperienced opinion is that the aircraft suffered a power loss, although the FC crash is a possibility. Here’s why I think it lost power:

1). Sar104 calculated the trajectory based on it vector when the signal was lost and I found the drone literally in the exact spot indicated by his calcs.
2). If the FC crashed and the drone reset home point and landed, I think I would have seen it hovering. I was flying at night and have found it to be much more visible with the lights than in the daytime, and it was only 300 feet away. It was immediately invisible.
3). Signal loss seems extremely unlikely. In the short time I had it I did some non-scientific range tests. In one instance I was transmitting from between two high tension power transmission lines and the drone was a mile and half away. When I lost sight of it for a a few seconds, the video transmission became choppy. I increased altitude and it returned. You all have flown much longer than me, but signal loss seems to be gradual, not immediate and catastrophic.

I guess the FC crash could be a culprit, and the drone could have attempted to land, crash through some trees and happened to fall on the exact spot it would have if it lost power and fell from the last know height and speed...

FYI. When I recovered it, I replaced the battery which had fallen in the pool. Everything was all broken and banged up, include large parts of propeller missing...and it still flew perfectly (which I did for about 30 seconds in front of me in my living room.)

Just to clarify - if the FC crashes then the aircraft crashes - it doesn't just hover waiting for instructions.

Is it possible that the flight controller could have failed and then reset. Seems odd it would drop but then be flyable again after I recovered it.

That's happened in other cases and is not unexpected. Just as with a regular computer it can crash and then work again after a reboot.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
How long, in your experience does the FC take to reboot and recover the aircraft's attitude? Is it reasonable to then glean a minimum safe flying altitude to maximise chance of recovery should the FC crash mid-flight?

How long, in your experience does the FC take to reboot and recover the aircraft's attitude? Is it reasonable to then glean a minimum safe flying altitude to maximise chance of recovery should the FC crash mid-flight?

You see the boot sequence every time you power up the aircraft. The M2 appears to take around 12 seconds to boot. These aircraft reach a terminal velocity of about 15 m/s in a few seconds, and so you would have to be at least around 200 m up to give it a chance.

You see the boot sequence every time you power up the aircraft. The M2 appears to take around 12 seconds to boot. These aircraft reach a terminal velocity of about 15 m/s in a few seconds, and so you would have to be at least around 200 m up to give it a chance.
And you'll still need to give it the motor start command as it falls.

And you'll still need to give it the motor start command as it falls.

Yes - my estimate did not explicitly include the time for that to happen but I added 50 m or so based on previously reported freefall tests showing that it took that kind of distance to restart the motors and arrest descent.

Yes - my estimate did not explicitly include the time for that to happen but I added 50 m or so based on previously reported freefall tests showing that it took that kind of distance to restart the motors and arrest descent.

Will these autorotate or do they tumble?

Are any of those a claimed recovery of a flight controller crashing and comming back on line? CSC and motor restart must have a higher chance of success.

They were all just CSCs. I was actually trying to point out that a reboot, motor restart and recovery was such a long shot that it was not worth factoring in to flight planning.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
Update: After speaking to DJI customer care again, they have finally finished an analysis and agreed to replace the M2P due to a mfg defect.

Seems like there’s a bit of right hand/left hand communication disconnect as nobody has been able to tell me when I might receive the replacement, but at least it’s a step in a positive direction.

The compass is the most misunderstood aspect of flying.
Forums (and even some DJI manuals) are full of myths.
It's completely unnecessary to recalibrate the compass or anything else before flying.
Whether you travel 10 miles or 2000 miles makes no difference at all.

NOT so much. If you want to bet your $1300. drone on that, go for it. The compass responds to magnetic fields and if some thng occurs to distort those fields, calibration may be required, or you may need to find another place to fly. This is a good thread on calibration
Compass Calibration Guide

NOT so much. If you want to bet your $1300. drone on that, go for it.
My drones cost quite a bit more than that and go for it is exactly what I do.
I have a P4 pro that has had two full years of hard professional use and I've never calibrated anything on it.
I avoid launching from steel or reinforced concrete surfaces and have no problems.
NOT so much. If you want to bet your $1300. drone on that, go for it. The compass responds to magnetic fields and if some thng occurs to distort those fields, calibration may be required, or you may need to find another place to fly.
Yes .. a compass responds to magnetic fields .. that's what a compass does.
If you place your compass in a non-normal magnetic field, the compass should warn you with what DJI mistakenly calls a compass error, but is more of a compass warning.
If your compass is warning you of a non-normal magnetic field, no amount of calibration will correct the problem.
Moving away from the problem is the only correct action.
This is a good thread on calibration: Compass Calibration Guide
I haven't read the rest of that thread yet but the initial post, is very good.
You should read it again. (it had some incorrect information which was edited out later).

Just as a compass error isn't a fault that needs fixing, calibrating the compass doesn't make the compass more accurate or somehow "fix" errors.
Calibrating your compass, identifies and measures the magnetic fields that are part of your drone so they can be ignored to get a proper measurement of the magnetic fields outside of the drone when in flight.

Last edited:
Reactions: knewt
NOT so much. If you want to bet your $1300. drone on that, go for it. The compass responds to magnetic fields and if some thng occurs to distort those fields, calibration may be required, or you may need to find another place to fly. This is a good thread on calibration
Compass Calibration Guide

It's a fine thread on calibration. It's unfortunate that you didn't read it before posting, because it supports everything that @Meta4 wrote.

Reactions: knewt
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_