DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 pro hovering over troubled water...

SMB Mavic

Reactions
Hello from the UK,
Although I'm new to this, I have flown some craft in the 90s, but the drones nowadays are so much more sophisticated!
Having said that, they have some rather intelligent systems and software now, takes a lot of the skill away, but the key is to understand the software and apply it to a skill and test, practice.
In the past and my short lived experience, I didn't fly over water, so this is challenging. I've read conflicting pros and cons re settings on you tube, but not convinced.
Any of you pros here could offer advice please? even experiences that didn't work, those we learn from quickly ;-)
So... I'm a professional diver, diving around the world, caves, boats, open water etc, it where I live ;-)
Thank you
Garry Dallas

Hello from the UK,
Although I'm new to this, I have flown some craft in the 90s, but the drones nowadays are so much more sophisticated!
Having said that, they have some rather intelligent systems and software now, takes a lot of the skill away, but the key is to understand the software and apply it to a skill and test, practice.
In the past and my short lived experience, I didn't fly over water, so this is challenging. I've read conflicting pros and cons re settings on you tube, but not convinced.
Any of you pros here could offer advice please? even experiences that didn't work, those we learn from quickly ;-)
So... I'm a professional diver, diving around the world, caves, boats, open water etc, it where I live ;-)
Thank you
Garry Dallas
'
Keep you sensors off , watch where you take off as you our prone to magnetic interference so finding a good clean take off point is key.
As always watch for birds be aware that the wind is going to double in that wide open area.

If you really worried we make a Sea Lander that allows you to land on the Water for remote landing and emergencies.

We use sea lander to test in uncharted take off points over the water and extreme weather flying over the water.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the rain.
Coal

'
Keep you sensors off , watch where you take off as you our prone to magnetic interference so finding a good clean take off point is key.
As always watch for birds be aware that the wind is going to double in that wide open area.

If you really worried we make a Sea Lander that allows you to land on the Water for remote landing and emergencies.

We use sea lander to test in uncharted take off points over the water and extreme weather flying over the water.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Thank you for that advice there...
Respect to you for testing on and around choppy water like that!! Amazing how the water spray disappeared from the lens immediately!! how cool :)
Really good points prior to setting off and during the flight.
Totally all sensors off relating to positioning? Could you be specific please?
Definitely a consideration for the floats. Also wondering if the drone could potentially land upside down in the water if it was struck by a bird for example. Neoprene covers sound good too just keeping things inside a little more protected :)

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Thank you for that advice there...
Respect to you for testing on and around choppy water like that!! Amazing how the water spray disappeared from the lens immediately!! how cool :)
Really good points prior to setting off and during the flight.
Totally all sensors off relating to positioning? Could you be specific please?
Definitely a consideration for the floats. Also wondering if the drone could potentially land upside down in the water if it was struck by a bird for example. Neoprene covers sound good too just keeping things inside a little more protected :)

Because the sun and water can produce some really strong reflections among dealing with birds , boats ect you wan to turn off the Landing sensors and the obstacle Avoidance sensors. Try not to take off on the cement, pier ,boat, bridge, picnic table, as these have shown in the past to create magnetic Interference.
Because the Batteries our so prone to moisture , battery covers our essential for being around the water. ;)

Reactions: SMB Mavic
I fly over the ocean quite a bit. It is important to give yourself enough altitude to avoid spray and the surprise tall wave.

I have the M2Zoom and have not had a problem with anything other than seagulls! Be mindful of wind conditions. Other than that you should be fine. The M2 is an amazing aircraft. Rock solid performance.

Flying over water is psychologically challenging at first but it is really easier and safer than just about anywhere else you can fly. Except maybe the desert. Happy flying!

I like the idea of a Mavic life-jacket to save it from a mishap, but it is an precision flying machine and that square float gives it the aerodynamics of a brick. There must be a better shape as it must prove handwork for the motors.
However after saying that the video is amazing.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I like the idea of a Mavic life-jacket to save it from a mishap, but it is an precision flying machine and that square float gives it the aerodynamics of a brick. There must be a better shape as it must prove handwork for the motors.
However after saying that the video is amazing.

No its not hard work on the motors because it to light , comes in under 6 ounces, and offers those that make money with there drone several useful aspects to use the tool.

The main aspect being that you guarantee your client the footage..does not get lost .
The Second being a test flight for magnetic interference .
The third way is for remote landings and to save battery power as you wait for an event to take place, while sitting on the water .

Thank you.

'

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Oh Man I don't Think i would ever have the Ba!!s to do that

Reactions: SMB Mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member