DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro - How to check for motor damage

jc2345

Reactions
We were flying our Mavic 2 Pro today and while it was hovering about three feet from the ground the person flying the drone accidentally veered to the right instead of the left and it bumped into a metal fence and crashed. For some reason the collision avoidance wasn't turned on even though we weren't in S mode. The blades were pretty scratched up with a few chips but the only damage to the rest of the drone seems to be a scratch on the top near the power button and a scuff mark on one of the motors. I already re-calibrated it and everything seems to be working fine, but when I turn the motors by hand it seems like the motor with the scuff mark has a rougher feel to it compared to the others. Is there a normal amount of variance in the motors where they'd feel slightly different or should I be concerned about damage? If so would I be able to tell or would it be pretty obvious when it takes off?

We were flying our Mavic 2 Pro today and while it was hovering about three feet from the ground the person flying the drone accidentally veered to the right instead of the left and it bumped into a metal fence and crashed. For some reason the collision avoidance wasn't turned on even though we weren't in S mode. The blades were pretty scratched up with a few chips but the only damage to the rest of the drone seems to be a scratch on the top near the power button and a scuff mark on one of the motors. I already re-calibrated it and everything seems to be working fine, but when I turn the motors by hand it seems like the motor with the scuff mark has a rougher feel to it compared to the others. Is there a normal amount of variance in the motors where they'd feel slightly different or should I be concerned about damage? If so would I be able to tell or would it be pretty obvious when it takes off?
If I am not mistaken, the sideways OA only works when using active track or tripod mode.

I would say be very wary if the motor does not spin freely. Is it only a scuff mark or does the body of the motor look misshapen? Could be some debris inside the motor also?

Reactions: Former Member
You have dual controller operation ("we were" flying")? Was we just you?

The motors shouldn't feel different. Check very carefully for any radial play or end float and make sure there is no run-out.

If I am not mistaken, the sideways OA only works when using active track or tripod mode.

I would say be very wary if the motor does not spin freely. Is it only a scuff mark or does the body of the motor look misshapen? Could be some debris inside the motor also?

It's just a scuff mark, it still spins almost as freely it just has sort of a slightly rougher or bumpy feel to it when it spins compared to the others. I'll take a closer look and see if I can find any debris. Thanks!

You have dual controller operation ("we were" flying")? Was we just you?

The motors shouldn't feel different. Check very carefully for any radial play or end float and make sure there is no run-out.

Sorry for being vague, I was with one other person and they were the one piloting the drone and I was just watching at the time. I'll check closely for anything out of the ordinary, when I spun the blades slowly by hand it seemed like I could feel a little more bumpiness from the scuffed motor compared to the others.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zephaniah2001