DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro, or Phantom 4 Pro for a photographer?

That's exactly what my wife is telling me [emoji1787]

I have the tendency to confuse myself between two products (always happens). Well more like tangling myself.
It goes like this, " I know I want this, and this seems to be the better one overall. But..... what about this....? What if the second option is the better choice". Here mavic is the one that I think should be better for me, and P4P is the one tangling me in the situation lol

i feel you ;D

Reactions: katarian
Mavic2pro hands down is your drone, first pic is Mavic2pro,2 pic is phantom 4pro, very glitchy drone years has more resolutions better sensor but the Mavic has much better colors and if you’re just going to be taking pictures so much easier to transport and no glitches no bugs in the software don’t even hesitate it trust me I’m two years in the field I wish I never had bought the phantom for pro been nothing but trouble shooting the whole way
Phantom 4 pro = very glitchy??
No Over two years it's proved to be very reliable and a professional workhorse

Mavic 2 pro = more resolution and a better sensor ??
No. They both use the same sensor and have the same resolution ( 5472 x 3648)

Mavic has much better colors??
That's hard to say since there are multiple things you can do in settings and in Photoshop that change the look of an image.

trust me I’m two years in the field I wish I never had bought the phantom for pro been nothing but trouble shooting the whole way
No ... if that's true, yours had problems and was not functioning as it should.

The Mavic wins on easy portability and has tech that's 2 years newer.
Both are capable of creating great photos.
On the basis of photographic ability, there's not much to show one or the other is a clear winner.

Hi everyone,

I am debating between a Mavic 2 Pro, and a Phantom 4 Pro. Can't decide which one to buy.

My main focus will be taking photos, not so much videos. I have been seeing a lot of debate between the two about which one is better, but mostly are just video related.

So what do you guys recommend?
I do travel fairly enough, but most of the traveling is done in my car, but Mavic's portability is definitely a plus since I can toss it in a backpack with my DSLR.

Any input will be highly appreciated [emoji4]

P.S: The reason I want to buy one of these is because I will love to add an aerial perspective to the landscapes I shoot.

If you are interested in seeing some of my work, check out my Instagram (nakul_kataria): www.instagram.com/nakul_kataria
I'm a 60 year photographer including 20 years in my own commercial studio (film days). I have a mining photographer friend that has the Phantom 4 and does nice work with it.
I spoke with him recently about his work and he's getting rid of his Phantom 4 and buying the M2P. His words... "carting the Phantom around is a pain in the arse."
Personally, I wouldn't even bother with the Phantom due to the lack of portability. The images out of my M2P are excellent even in difficult lighting conditions if I use the 5 exposure bracketin in RAW.
Are there things I wish I could do that aren't possible? Yes! But that could be said for almost every camera on the market regardless of price.

I'm a 60 year photographer including 20 years in my own commercial studio (film days). I have a mining photographer friend that has the Phantom 4 and does nice work with it.
I spoke with him recently about his work and he's getting rid of his Phantom 4 and buying the M2P. His words... "carting the Phantom around is a pain in the arse."
Personally, I wouldn't even bother with the Phantom due to the lack of portability. The images out of my M2P are excellent even in difficult lighting conditions if I use the 5 exposure bracketin in RAW.
Are there things I wish I could do that aren't possible? Yes! But that could be said for almost every camera on the market regardless of price.
Thank you for responding to my thread. Always wonderful to have experienced photographers suggesting and answering your questions.
I think I am definitely leaning more towards the M2P, just because it is so much more portable.
Was telling my wife about all the comments I have received and she agrees that M2P will be the way to go. She finished her statement by saying, it will be one less bag she will have to carry around when we are out and about and I am taking photos.
To give a background to her statement; When I am out taking photos of something, I generally hand my camera bag to her to hold it so I am not setting it down on the wet ground and collecting mud (it's wet here in Oregon 9 months of the year).

Secondly, the photos don't really look that different from each other except M2P leans more towards warmer colors (especially in videos since most of the reviews I have been able to see are video-shooting oriented. But that's an easy fix in the post processing.

How does your drone do in low light settings?

And to end: thank you for using the work "arse". It just sounds so much better than "***" [emoji28]

And I totally agree that no camera is perfect. I myself am using an entry level DSLR (Nikon D5100), but I can always work out something even in challenging situations.

How does your drone do in low light settings?

And to end: thank you for using the work "arse". It just sounds so much better than "***" [emoji28]

And I totally agree that no camera is perfect. I myself am using an entry level DSLR (Nikon D5100), but I can always work out something even in challenging situations.

Low light isn't too much of an issue (depending on how low). There will be noise but it's to be expected with a 1" sensor on an aircraft. My problem is a a difficulty with stability in long exposures (say longer that 1 sec.)
However I have seen examples on these pages of 4-8 second exposures which are very good. I'm new to drone photography so it might just be a learning curve.
Photography in general... I use Canon 5D III, Canon 80D and Canon G1X MkII plus a bunch of lenses. I can't do anything in the air with any of them unless I hire a chopper. :D

I originally had the Mavic Pro (which first got me into aerial photography), but quickly realized I was not getting satisfied with the IQ results. Sensor was just too small and I had no room to work with in post. Then, I jumped to P4P strictly because of IQ. I absolutely loved the P4P but my real problem was not being able to have with me all the time. As great a bird was the P4P, it was just too darn big to have with me all the time. So I eventually sold (after keeping it for almost 2 years) in anticipation of M2P release. I preordered the M2P as soon as it was announced and I'm still really really loving this ultra portable P4P. I know M2P lacks in video quality but photo wise it was perfectly comparable to P4P image qualities, thus the ultra portable P4P. I now carry her with me everyday to work just in case I happen to feel like flying or don't want to miss any good opportunities. Here are few sample images I created with M2P.

DJI_0252-X3.jpg

DJI_0289-X3.jpg

DJI_0511-X3.jpg

DJI_0312-X3.jpg

DJI_0358-X3.jpg

DJI_0423-X3.jpg

DJI_0929-X3.jpg

By the way, if you want to wait for the Phantom 5 please go ahead. I'm sure you heard this a million times, but technology will always evolve. Once you get the Phantom 5, there will eventually be another drone that will outperform P5.. You get where I'm going with this.

And just so you know, I have shot with Canons until 1DX days (with most expensive primes) but switched to Sony for its superior sensors and SIZE. I now shoot with Sony a7Rii (not the Riii because I didn't feel the need to, and still enjoy the smooth reflection app) so you know my demands for IQ is quite high. I just love working with high mega pixels. However, I have long ago accepted the IQ from P4P days. They are plenty good enough for what I can NEVER EVER capture with ground cameras whether it has 100+ mega pixels or not.

Good luck to you and happy flying!

Congratulations fella, these image are superb and ably demonstrate the quality available from the M2P. Well done.

Reactions: joonrhee
I'll say, you have got a great equipment.
I was considering buying a full frame camera, but decided against it. They are very expensive and then the lenses are expensive too.
I am gonna gift one to myself once I graduate from college.
So in the meanwhile thought of buying a drone so I can atleast add another perspective to my photos collection.

I'll say, you have got a great equipment.
I was considering buying a full frame camera, but decided against it. They are very expensive and then the lenses are expensive too.
I am gonna gift one to myself once I graduate from college.
So in the meanwhile thought of buying a drone so I can atleast add another perspective to my photos collection.

There are significant advantages with full frame sensors in terms of dynamic range (DR) (particularly with the new Sony's) but for me, well I'm about to bail out of full frame. I just don't need it.
If I was a pro I'd definitely continue with full frame but all I do with images these days is display them online ( Anthony Lewis ) and entries into my monthly photography club competition.
If I need megapixel images, or massive DR I shoot multiple images and stitch them in Photoshop or Lightroom. The M2P has that ability also.

There are significant advantages with full frame sensors in terms of dynamic range (DR) (particularly with the new Sony's) but for me, well I'm about to bail out of full frame. I just don't need it.
If I was a pro I'd definitely continue with full frame but all I do with images these days is display them online ( Anthony Lewis ) and entries into my monthly photography club competition.
If I need megapixel images, or massive DR I shoot multiple images and stitch them in Photoshop or Lightroom. The M2P has that ability also.
Wow! Just wow! Those photos are just so surreal. Truly a work of art!
I wish you had Flickr or Instagram so I could follow you.
You should definitely get on Instagram if you already don't have it. It's a much popular way to display your work these days since everyone is using it.

Reactions: noosaguy
You should definitely get on Instagram if you already don't have it. It's a much popular way to display your work these days since everyone is using it.
Instagram is fine if you only want to see thumbnail size images ... but useless for displaying quality work properly.

Instagram is fine if you only want to see thumbnail size images ... but useless for displaying quality work properly.
True. But it is a very big platform. People generally list their website or other platform links on their Instagram profiles so people can visit for full content.

Wow! Just wow! Those photos are just so surreal. Truly a work of art!
I wish you had Flickr or Instagram so I could follow you.

Thank you for your very kind words. But Katarian, I'm in my 70's these days and I'm not on Facebook or any other 'Social Media'. I guess I'm too old to appreciate the subtleties.
All this 'Liking' of things you don't really like and all the 'friends' you have that aren't really friends.
I like displaying my work for (real) friends and family but don't play the game. That's why i have less than 80 followers I guess.
There are people on 500px who's work is of average quality (IMO) that have way more than ten of thousands followers.

Thank you for your very kind words. But Katarian, I'm in my 70's these days and I'm not on Facebook or any other 'Social Media'. I guess I'm too old to appreciate the subtleties.
All this 'Liking' of things you don't really like and all the 'friends' you have that aren't really friends.
I like displaying my work for (real) friends and family but don't play the game. That's why i have less than 80 followers I guess.
There are people on 500px who's work is of average quality (IMO) that have way more than ten of thousands followers.
I am very surprised you don't have very many followers.
I understand what you mean, but I think your work is exceptionally outstanding and the world needs to see it and feel the same awe I did! Just a personal thought [emoji5]

I am very surprised you don't have very many followers.
I understand what you mean, but I think your work is exceptionally outstanding and the world needs to see it and feel the same awe I did! Just a personal thought [emoji5]
Holy cow, I think I'll have to start looking for larger hats. :p
Seriously, thank you.

View attachment 51838View attachment 51839
Mavic2pro hands down is your drone, first pic is Mavic2pro,2 pic is phantom 4pro, very glitchy drone years has more resolutions better sensor but the Mavic has much better colors and if you’re just going to be taking pictures so much easier to transport and no glitches no bugs in the software don’t even hesitate it trust me I’m two years in the field I wish I never had bought the phantom for pro been nothing but trouble shooting the whole way

Not shure you can tell Mavic has better colors but in video phantom has more resolution, both are killer in different situations, I like my phantom in mid day and the Mavic at sunset, I want to start using post but can not find any editing software that will work good with my Mac 5-k , when I can I will be getting Final Cut Pro 300$

Not shure you can tell Mavic has better colors but in video phantom has more resolution, both are killer in different situations, I like my phantom in mid day and the Mavic at sunset, I want to start using post but can not find any editing software that will work good with my Mac 5-k , when I can I will be getting Final Cut Pro 300$
That's expensive.
I just use PS.
Never really edited any videos, so never learnt and had any need of video editing softwares

You can edit video in Lightroom although Premier or FCP are better options.

Those are the best M2P stills I have seen so far. Wow. Obviously the sensor is great, but your composition skills are outstanding. Well done Sir. I have been flying a Mavic Pro for 10 months and think it is a remarkable little machine. I do professional DSLR however I am still a drone beginner. I do struggle in changing light conditions. I find myself using the Polar Pro filters almost 100% of the time. Usually the 3 stop polarized filter. I fly over water often. Have you been using ND filters with the M2P? Counting my pennies and I am about to pull the trigger! I have spent so much on the MP though. Five batteries, Lowe Pro backpack and several carrying cases, multi-charger, car charger, all Polar Pro filters ..... pretty much every accessory available. So maybe selling all of that will reduce my pain some. :) Once again, just tremendous photos.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer