DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro, or Phantom 4 Pro for a photographer?

katarian

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I am debating between a Mavic 2 Pro, and a Phantom 4 Pro. Can't decide which one to buy.

My main focus will be taking photos, not so much videos. I have been seeing a lot of debate between the two about which one is better, but mostly are just video related.

So what do you guys recommend?
I do travel fairly enough, but most of the traveling is done in my car, but Mavic's portability is definitely a plus since I can toss it in a backpack with my DSLR.

Any input will be highly appreciated [emoji4]

P.S: The reason I want to buy one of these is because I will love to add an aerial perspective to the landscapes I shoot.

If you are interested in seeing some of my work, check out my Instagram (nakul_kataria): www.instagram.com/nakul_kataria

Lol! You sound exactly like me. I have almost pushed the BUY button about three times now on the MP2 but I have decided to wait for the Phantom 5. Why?

• Some users getting fuzzy corners, decentered lenses, fuzzy sides
  • Some users having gimble issues
  • Battery swelling (if that happens in flight you can lose your aircraft)
  • The FOV 4K issue
  • Noise in shadows and blues
  • To name a few. It may just be too early. Just read this and the DJI Mavic Pro 2 forum to get a feel.
  • This Youtube Video
    This guy is doing nice stuff but is opting out of the MP2.
  • In New Zealand you can't shoot in the National Parks so most of what I'll do is by car.
  • The Phantom 5 is rumoured to have interchangeable lenses and current lens quality of the P4 from all accounts appears to be better.
Like you I'm about image quality. Your images are great by the way, here's a link to what I do https://andrewbusst.wixsite.com/mysite just a hobby.

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted.

Cheers

Andrew

Reactions: katarian
Lol! You sound exactly like me. I have almost pushed the BUY button about three times now on the MP2 but I have decided to wait for the Phantom 5. Why?

• The FOV 4K issue
  • To name a few. It may just be too early. Just read this and the DJI Mavic Pro 2 forum to get a feel.
  • This Youtube Video
  • In New Zealand you can't shoot in the National Parks so most of what I'll do is by car.
  • The Phantom 5 is rumoured to have interchangeable lenses and current lens quality of the P4 from all accounts appears to be better.
Like you I'm about image quality. Your images are great by the way, here's a link to what I do https://andrewbusst.wixsite.com/mysite just a hobby.

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted.

Cheers

Andrew
Thank you for your personal insight on this matter.

I literally have M2P sitting in the cart for last 1 and half month. And I have almost clicked that buy button for a gazillionth time now!

I really don't care so much about the 4k and the video aspect of it (I mean I will shoot a video or two maybe once in a while, but I have never been that great at composing a good video shot). I am a 110% sure that 99.999% of the media captured will be photos.

I am keen on waiting for the Phantom 5, but the only problem is I can't find a legitimate/or even an approximate date of release for it. I don't know if you have this feeling or not, but I feel very restless and anxious looking outside and feeling, "man, only if I had a bird I would take it up right now and take pictures of these beautiful fall colors and weather". I feel like I am missing out, every day that goes by. Haha
I live in Oregon, and it's gorgeous here at this time of the year.

But at the same time, I feel like I should probably wait for the Phantom 5 launch and then make a decision, since it will be a big big investment for a college going student for a hobby. I am a pure hobbyist and an amateur photographer with high aspirations [emoji39].

And I love those photos you have taken, especially the long exposures. I am a sucker for long exposures. And are most of those photos taken in New Zealand? Because those locations look majestic (never been to NZ, but I always have wanted to).

They are both very good. A good photographer can get great results with either.
You just have to work out if the additional easy portability and quiet operation is what you need most.
That's very true. I mean I use an entry level DSLR, and have been using it for the past 4years and I manage to get good enough shots on it. So I can definitely understand what you mean.
But I think my main concern is just that I want to buy a drone with the best camera, since these two drones are identically priced.

Also, it will be my first ever drone (well I have flown this one cheap drone from Best Buy once, but I am sure that doesn't count compared to these beasts).

I would definitely prefer the ease of control and reliability. There are some marketed features on these drones respectively that are just bells and whistles to me since I will probably never use some of them.

But overall it just comes down to a reliable drone, that takes good photos. And I always shoot in RAW, and run the photos through PS. So the jpeg oversharpening, undersharpening doesn't really affect me.

Once you've tried the Mavic 2 or the original Mavic for that matter you can forgive any minor issues its just so much more usable because of the smaller size compared to Phantoms.
Also as above the lower noise levels mean you can be significantly more discrete whether popping up above your head or stealth use from a greater distance.

the M2P is hands down the best DJI product I've ever used to date.

at least, IMHO.

I've never owned or used anything in the INSPIRE or other categories as of yet, portability is my primary interest and anything bigger would just impede on my abilities. But I've owned and crashed just about every Phantom 1-4 all PRO, then the Mavic Pro changed the game for me. I wanted to love Mavic Air but from the connectivity issues, to the lost signals and disconnections, I don't think I've ever returned anything so fast in my life... and now the M2P. So far I'm blown away. So glad to have OccuSync again as that was most likely what made the AIR a giant failure for me. Hopefully the next AIR will have added OccuSync or something brand new that will take OS place.

Back to the M2P,

The 1" Hasselblad sensor alone, on that small of a drone is an aerial photographers wet dream.

I own TWO M2P's and now wondering if it would have been smarter to get the Zoom model as the second bird to be able to have all features available between both M2's.

My Mavic 2 Pro arrived just minutes ago... it feels really really good. Can't wait to fly it later on ... I'm currently watching and admiring it while loading batteries. LOL :) I update from a Mavic Air, but I will keep both. Just love my Air too much to give it away. I use both mainly for photography and carry them with me.

That said: For me, the foldable design was the most important point for the moment. Plus, I really don't like the overall design of the Phantoms.

Thank you for your personal insight on this matter.

I literally have M2P sitting in the cart for last 1 and half month. And I have almost clicked that buy button for a gazillionth time now!

Ha ha I so know that feeling, it's so frustrating I have the sign off from the family financial controller but just can't bring myself to do it!

I am keen on waiting for the Phantom 5, but the only problem is I can't find a legitimate/or even an approximate date of release for it. I don't know if you have this feeling or not, but I feel very restless and anxious looking outside and feeling, "man, only if I had a bird I would take it up right now and take pictures of these beautiful fall colors and weather". I feel like I am missing out, every day that goes by. Haha

A couple of Youtubers are saying before X-Mas but others saying April next year for the Phantom 5. I have given myself until June but like you I really do want to get up in the air now and take pics. What I really worry about is spending the $3300 NZD now on the MP2 and then within 6 months the P5 coming out with all the new sensing tech and a choice of changing lenses and higher quality lenses and seeing the reviews and everybody going - "woaa" this is a step up from the MP2 in terms of quality. Not as sexy but just better quality....I'll be gutted cos I can't see myself shelling out that sort of cash again for quite some time so I'm resigned to waiting. And it really feels like they are still ironing out the MP2 anyway.

I live in Oregon, and it's gorgeous here at this time of the year.

That is one place I too definitely want to visit. Your falls are stunning. In Queenstown / Arrowtown we get a bit of it but nothing like you!

And I love those photos you have taken, especially the long exposures. I am a sucker for long exposures. And are most of those photos taken in New Zealand? Because those locations look majestic (never been to NZ, but I always have wanted to).

Thank you. We are pretty lucky in NZ where all those images are taken. The landscape changes so much in a short distance makes it really easy to capture the variety here. Glad you like the long exposures just really getting into them myself. What really made me sit up was the fact on a relatively still day the DJI drones can take long exposures in the air! I never counted on that but opens some huge possibilities so looking forward to getting into that when I finally get my drone!!! :)

I do not have the problems with my M2P as described above. Bought it 3 weeks ago. I'm a demanding photographer since 20 years and bought the drone to extend my possibilities for different perspectives and getting to previously unaccessible views and areas. I'm not much interested in video, although there may be occasional opportunities. I'm quite pleased with the quality of the images. Important are the settings of aperture, ISO, control of autofocus and how you fly the drone, not to forget afterprocessing. Hasselblad fullframe 20MP is tremendous for a small drone camera.
On my flickr website are 4 images by drone:
Reiner Boehme
You can judge for yourself
Reiner
Germany

Once you've tried the Mavic 2 or the original Mavic for that matter you can forgive any minor issues its just so much more usable because of the smaller size compared to Phantoms.
Also as above the lower noise levels mean you can be significantly more discrete whether popping up above your head or stealth use from a greater distance.
That is definitely two pluses for M2P, quieter and foldable. I think the other plus is the new tech on it compared to P4P.

the M2P is hands down the best DJI product I've ever used to date.

at least, IMHO.

I've never owned or used anything in the INSPIRE or other categories as of yet, portability is my primary interest and anything bigger would just impede on my abilities. But I've owned and crashed just about every Phantom 1-4 all PRO, then the Mavic Pro changed the game for me. I wanted to love Mavic Air but from the connectivity issues, to the lost signals and disconnections, I don't think I've ever returned anything so fast in my life... and now the M2P. So far I'm blown away. So glad to have OccuSync again as that was most likely what made the AIR a giant failure for me. Hopefully the next AIR will have added OccuSync or something brand new that will take OS place.

Back to the M2P,

The 1" Hasselblad sensor alone, on that small of a drone is an aerial photographers wet dream.

I own TWO M2P's and now wondering if it would have been smarter to get the Zoom model as the second bird to be able to have all features available between both M2's.
A couple of questions:
1) What makes the Phantoms so crash prone? I think I have noticed other people say the same thing, but then there's the majority of other people who just love their Phantoms. Hence the dilemma I am in now haha

2) P4P V2 is equipped with OccuSync as well, wouldn't that be a game changer for the P4P?

3) What made you buy two M2P's? Wouldn't it be awesome to just sell one for a pretty reasonable price to someone like me (wink wink)? [emoji39][emoji12] jk.

My Mavic 2 Pro arrived just minutes ago... it feels really really good. Can't wait to fly it later on ... I'm currently watching and admiring it while loading batteries. LOL :) I update from a Mavic Air, but I will keep both. Just love my Air too much to give it away. I use both mainly for photography and carry them with me.

That said: For me, the foldable design was the most important point for the moment. Plus, I really don't like the overall design of the Phantoms.
Get that bird in the air after you're done setting it all up, and then give me a comparison review? Since you got Air and M2P now. [emoji4]

You guys really love drones, since everyone seems to have multiple drones on them. Plus, you guys got the moneeyyyy to do so [emoji16] Can't personally wait to be done in school and get that expensive piece of paper called a degree to start making money haha

Reactions: calmar81 and Kgitti
You gotta tell me how you separated those quotes like that! [emoji23]
What drone are you currently flying? Or are you on the same page as me?

Oregon is very beautiful, it's like a lot of things packed in a small package (we got the Pacific coast line, mountains, and desert).

I wouldn't mind waiting a tad bit longer, but I don't know how long I can really wait. I get anxiety just thinking about waiting haha

I do not have the problems with my M2P as described above. Bought it 3 weeks ago. I'm a demanding photographer since 20 years and bought the drone to extend my possibilities for different perspectives and getting to previously unaccessible views and areas. I'm not much interested in video, although there may be occasional opportunities. I'm quite pleased with the quality of the images. Important are the settings of aperture, ISO, control of autofocus and how you fly the drone, not to forget afterprocessing. Hasselblad fullframe 20MP is tremendous for a small drone camera.
On my flickr website are 4 images by drone:
Reiner Boehme
You can judge for yourself
Reiner
Germany
Let me start by saying:
Sir, you're one heck of a photographer. Those images are amazing. Although I can't tell which ones are taken with the M2P haha
And that star trail shot is just gorgeous. How long of a exposure was it? I am sure I can check it on Flickr myself, so I will go over to it again and check it out haha

Also, have you ever owned a Phantom yourself?

• The FOV 4K issue
  • This Youtube Video

Good luck with your decision and keep us poste

Cheers

Andrew
I am a professional architectal photographer of 40 years. I recently got into drones to add another dimension to work. I get very acceptable results from M2P.

I am a professional architectal photographer of 40 years. I get very acceptable results from M2P.
Thank you for your response sir [emoji4]
Mind sharing some photos with us who are on the fence at the moment?

Thank you for your response sir [emoji4]
Mind sharing some photos with us who are on the fence at the moment?
Sure in a couple of days. I am working on a huge deadline right now.

Get that bird in the air after you're done setting it all up, and then give me a comparison review? Since you got Air and M2P now. [emoji4]

You guys really love drones, since everyone seems to have multiple drones on them. Plus, you guys got the moneeyyyy to do so [emoji16] Can't personally wait to be done in school and get that expensive piece of paper called a degree to start making money haha

Of course, will do! But unfortunately, the weather conditions became very bad and rainy so I'll delay my first flight to tomorrow. CAN'T WAIT!!! :)

Here they sit and also can't wait:
IMG_4666.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_