DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro, or Phantom 4 Pro for a photographer?

Hi everyone,

I am debating between a Mavic 2 Pro, and a Phantom 4 Pro. Can't decide which one to buy.

My main focus will be taking photos, not so much videos. I have been seeing a lot of debate between the two about which one is better, but mostly are just video related.

So what do you guys recommend?
I do travel fairly enough, but most of the traveling is done in my car, but Mavic's portability is definitely a plus since I can toss it in a backpack with my DSLR.

Any input will be highly appreciated [emoji4]

P.S: The reason I want to buy one of these is because I will love to add an aerial perspective to the landscapes I shoot.

If you are interested in seeing some of my work, check out my Instagram (nakul_kataria): www.instagram.com/nakul_kataria

DJI_0607.jpgDJI_0010.jpg
Mavic2pro hands down is your drone, first pic is Mavic2pro,2 pic is phantom 4pro, very glitchy drone years has more resolutions better sensor but the Mavic has much better colors and if you’re just going to be taking pictures so much easier to transport and no glitches no bugs in the software don’t even hesitate it trust me I’m two years in the field I wish I never had bought the phantom for pro been nothing but trouble shooting the whole way

Reactions: katarian
View attachment 51838View attachment 51839
Mavic2pro hands down is your drone, first pic is Mavic2pro,2 pic is phantom 4pro, very glitchy drone years has more resolutions better sensor but the Mavic has much better colors and if you’re just going to be taking pictures so much easier to transport and no glitches no bugs in the software don’t even hesitate it trust me I’m two years in the field I wish I never had bought the phantom for pro been nothing but trouble shooting the whole way
Those are some good shots.
Question: what's the bit-depth in raw stills for both these two drones?

Let me start by saying:
Sir, you're one heck of a photographer. Those images are amazing. Although I can't tell which ones are taken with the M2P haha
And that star trail shot is just gorgeous. How long of a exposure was it? I am sure I can check it on Flickr myself, so I will go over to it again and check it out haha

Also, have you ever owned a Phantom yourself?
Thanks,
underneath the images the camera type is listed: drone photos have a Hasselblad LID-20c, almost all others are different Nikon cameras. My last photo was made out of a plane by mobile phone.
The startrails photos are each 4 hours exposure time.
I didn't own any other drone before

I was trying to look it in the information section on there, but to my surprise it wasn't showing it to me.
I will try to look it up on the Flickr app itself

Thanks,
underneath the images the camera type is listed: drone photos have a Hasselblad LID-20c, almost all others are different Nikon cameras. My last photo was made out of a plane by mobile phone.
The startrails photos are each 4 hours exposure time.
I didn't own any other drone before
This is all I can see in the information tab on there
7f93bcb9c3c4c5bef0db346d6582d5c5.jpg

I originally had the Mavic Pro (which first got me into aerial photography), but quickly realized I was not getting satisfied with the IQ results. Sensor was just too small and I had no room to work with in post. Then, I jumped to P4P strictly because of IQ. I absolutely loved the P4P but my real problem was not being able to have with me all the time. As great a bird was the P4P, it was just too darn big to have with me all the time. So I eventually sold (after keeping it for almost 2 years) in anticipation of M2P release. I preordered the M2P as soon as it was announced and I'm still really really loving this ultra portable P4P. I know M2P lacks in video quality but photo wise it was perfectly comparable to P4P image qualities, thus the ultra portable P4P. I now carry her with me everyday to work just in case I happen to feel like flying or don't want to miss any good opportunities. Here are few sample images I created with M2P.

DJI_0252-X3.jpg

DJI_0289-X3.jpg

DJI_0511-X3.jpg

DJI_0312-X3.jpg

DJI_0358-X3.jpg

DJI_0423-X3.jpg

DJI_0929-X3.jpg

By the way, if you want to wait for the Phantom 5 please go ahead. I'm sure you heard this a million times, but technology will always evolve. Once you get the Phantom 5, there will eventually be another drone that will outperform P5.. You get where I'm going with this.

And just so you know, I have shot with Canons until 1DX days (with most expensive primes) but switched to Sony for its superior sensors and SIZE. I now shoot with Sony a7Rii (not the Riii because I didn't feel the need to, and still enjoy the smooth reflection app) so you know my demands for IQ is quite high. I just love working with high mega pixels. However, I have long ago accepted the IQ from P4P days. They are plenty good enough for what I can NEVER EVER capture with ground cameras whether it has 100+ mega pixels or not.

Good luck to you and happy flying!

I originally had the Mavic Pro (which first got me into aerial photography), but quickly realized I was not getting satisfied with the IQ results. Sensor was just too small and I had no room to work with in post. Then, I jumped to P4P strictly because of IQ. I absolutely loved the P4P but my real problem was not being able to have with me all the time. As great a bird was the P4P, it was just too darn big to have with me all the time. So I eventually sold (after keeping it for almost 2 years) in anticipation of M2P release. I preordered the M2P as soon as it was announced and I'm still really really loving this ultra portable P4P. I know M2P lacks in video quality but photo wise it was perfectly comparable to P4P image qualities, thus the ultra portable P4P. I now carry her with me everyday to work just in case I happen to feel like flying or don't want to miss any good opportunities. Here are few sample images I created with M2P.

DJI_0252-X3.jpg

DJI_0289-X3.jpg

DJI_0511-X3.jpg

DJI_0312-X3.jpg

DJI_0358-X3.jpg

DJI_0423-X3.jpg

DJI_0929-X3.jpg

By the way, if you want to wait for the Phantom 5 please go ahead. I'm sure you heard this a million times, but technology will always evolve. Once you get the Phantom 5, there will eventually be another drone that will outperform P5.. You get where I'm going with this.

And just so you know, I have shot with Canons until 1DX days (with most expensive primes) but switched to Sony for its superior sensors and SIZE. I now shoot with Sony a7Rii (not the Riii because I didn't feel the need to, and still enjoy the smooth reflection app) so you know my demands for IQ is quite high. I just love working with high mega pixels. However, I have long ago accepted the IQ from P4P days. They are plenty good enough for what I can NEVER EVER capture with ground cameras whether it has 100+ mega pixels or not.

You have taken some beautiful photos! I do really love the photo of that building with the sunshine hitting it just right!

Question for you sir:
1) Since you have flown both, do you see any difference in the flight stability between the two for long exposures?
2) Which do you think takes better images at night times? Hence which one performs better under low-light settings?

And I definitely see where you're going with that. The only reason I have been wanting to wait on P5 is because of the speculations about it coming out soon. I definitely won't wait another year to start, but if it's more like a month or two, I am okay with waiting since we here in Oregon have wet winters, and I don't think I will get very many opportunities to take the bird out flying in rains.

You have taken some beautiful photos! I do really love the photo of that building with the sunshine hitting it just right!

Question for you sir:
1) Since you have flown both, do you see any difference in the flight stability between the two for long exposures?
2) Which do you think takes better images at night times? Hence which one performs better under low-light settings?

And I definitely see where you're going with that. The only reason I have been wanting to wait on P5 is because of the speculations about it coming out soon. I definitely won't wait another year to start, but if it's more like a month or two, I am okay with waiting since we here in Oregon have wet winters, and I don't think I will get very many opportunities to take the bird out flying in rains.

In all honesty, I actually thought P4P had a slightly better flight stability than the M2P. However, M2P is no slouch. It is very stable under strong winds. As for night images, I think they take similar photos. But because I thought P4P had a slightly better stability, it feels like I sometimes take more shots than I actually need to. If I take about 10 of same 4 seconds exposure shots under around 10 miles wind, I think I end up with about 4-5 keepers (which to me is not bad and totally acceptable). Again this speculation is only based on my experience and not speaking on others' behalves.

In all honesty, I actually thought P4P had a slightly better flight stability than the M2P. However, M2P is no slouch. It is very stable under strong winds. As for night images, I think they take similar photos. But because I thought P4P had a slightly better stability, it feels like I sometimes take more shots than I actually need to. If I take about 10 of same 4 seconds exposure shots under around 10 miles wind, I think I end up with about 4-5 keepers (which to me is not bad and totally acceptable). Again this speculation is only based on my experience and not speaking on others' behalves.
Thank you for your valuable input on the matter [emoji4]

DJI_0252-X3.jpg

DJI_0289-X3.jpg

DJI_0511-X3.jpg

DJI_0312-X3.jpg

DJI_0358-X3.jpg

DJI_0423-X3.jpg

DJI_0929-X3.jpg

Our experiences are very similar from the switch to Sony and the reasons for the M2P (though it was my first drone but I seriously considered the

Our experiences are very similar from the switch to Sony and the reasons for the M2P (though it was my first drone but I seriously considered the
Can’t seem to edit my post. Anyway I seriously considered the P4P. As the M2P is my first drone I have nothing to compare it to but have been pleasently surprised with what I can do with it. My clients are thrilled.

Can’t seem to edit my post. Anyway I seriously considered the P4P. As the M2P is my first drone I have nothing to compare it to but have been pleasently surprised with what I can do with it. My clients are thrilled.
I really appreciate your input [emoji4]
I am glad everyone is so helpful on here.

Reactions: Kgitti
For everyone following the thread:

I have someone selling a P4P V2 for USD 1100, brand new in the box (still sealed). Whereas the Mavic 2 Pro will cost me USD 1500 plus extra batteries.

Do you think I should still stick with M2P or go for P4P V2 that's $400 cheaper?

I just am so confused [emoji55] (cringing [emoji37])

i dont consider my self as an expert but i can tell you following:
i love photography, i travel and hike a lot
with this in mind a drone is a must and a mavic because of portability.
i recently sold my MP1 to buy the MP2 because of the sensors and the camera.
if you know how to precess your pictures it does not matter if you get p4p or MP2 to my point of view... or at least for my use.

now regarding the 400$ cheaper. . as my gf said ^^ ( i was considering both zoom and MP2 ) if you are ready to put 1500 $ out you can also put the 200 or 400 .... does not really matter at that stage.. the only thing that matters is .. what will make you happy at the end ;D wise words.. cost me 200$ more ahah but i don't regret

i dont consider my self as an expert but i can tell you following:
i love photography, i travel and hike a lot
with this in mind a drone is a must and a mavic because of portability.
i recently sold my MP1 to buy the MP2 because of the sensors and the camera.
if you know how to precess your pictures it does not matter if you get p4p or MP2 to my point of view... or at least for my use.

now regarding the 400$ cheaper. . as my gf said ^^ ( i was considering both zoom and MP2 ) if you are ready to put 1500 $ out you can also put the 200 or 400 .... does not really matter at that stage.. the only thing that matters is .. what will make you happy at the end ;D wise words.. cost me 200$ more ahah but i don't regret
That's exactly what my wife is telling me [emoji1787]

I have the tendency to confuse myself between two products (always happens). Well more like tangling myself.
It goes like this, " I know I want this, and this seems to be the better one overall. But..... what about this....? What if the second option is the better choice". Here mavic is the one that I think should be better for me, and P4P is the one tangling me in the situation lol

Reactions: Miki121
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_