DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 pro range photo - 6 kilometers = 3.72 mile

What is the fascination with flying so far?! You do know the rule, right... keep it within visual line of sight. That does not mean looking in the general direction of where it flew, but being able to actually see it. I know I can't see my MP2 any farther than 1200',

Very valid point Chicago, but is he really any more guilty than 90% of most drone pilots? ( I made the 90% up! I actually have no idea). Regardless I totally agree with you. I don’t see the need to fly 3 or 4 miles away. Although I guess it’s nice to know you have that capability under the right circumstances.

We're on the same page Paulf. But I also find it curious that so many people are baffled that their drone would not return home or get lost completely when it's 3 miles away! No surprise there. As a Part 107 pilot, I feel very strongly about VLOS and altitude limits being ignored by people. All it's going to take is one airplane struck by an errant drone for the FAA to close the skies completely to us... ONE. Just think about how often someone asks you, "How high can that thing fly, what's the range of that drone"? There is apparently a fascination with pushing the limits, but I just see it as a way to push stupidity. Fly safe people, other people's live do actually depend on it!

The idea of flight was unique in nature, and so flying I just drifted away.

I hear you. The temptation is strong to look around like you are a bird, Humans have dreamt of it for millennium and now we have the chance to do it vicariously through our drones. But like Icaras who flew to close to the sun on his wings, we too must be careful not to fly so far away as to lose our signal and drift with the wind.

Reactions: ivpool$ and dkuhne
The only rules I could find were about airports and a max height of 30m

PRoss stated, "Well, this is why the rules are getting stricter, good job". That maybe but the real reason for the restrictions I believe is to clear the air ways for big business like Amazon, FedEx and move the little guys to flying 400 feet in all directions only in designated areas. We need to let the FAA know that we are here and willing to follow the rules and regulations and voice our opinions about them requiring so much information and new equipment with the new ID proposal. That's just my 2 cent!

People posting 7km videos to prove they are amazing will only get a 500m limit on VLOS restriction.

Grrr... Then folks like this will complain when we have Remote ID rules implemented and are unable to fly in rural areas without internet connectivity.

I did not research limits of VLOS in Bosnia, but I cannot imagine that it is legal to fly 6km away. Folks like this need to be chastised.

Actually, I am wondering whether we should or not (I am torn) we should ask our moderators to take posts such as this down. There is no need to encourage illegal behavior like this.

Actually, I am wondering whether we should or not (I am torn) we should ask our moderators to take posts such as this down. There is no need to encourage illegal behavior like this.
I already did so I wouldnt bother.

Reactions: Thanev
Grrr... Then folks like this will complain when we have Remote ID rules implemented and are unable to fly in rural areas without internet connectivity.

I did not research limits of VLOS in Bosnia, but I cannot imagine that it is legal to fly 6km away. Folks like this need to be chastised.

The forum allows such posts and even had range leaderboards for each of the models where pilots are all flying well beyond VLOS. The same people will also criticise DJI's enforcing the rules because people will follow the rules themselves....evidently not.

Reactions: USMC0351

??

Reactions: USMC0351
Sorry @Zeljkobn but a range test still does not make it legal. The end does NOT justify the means. You could technically do a range test legally by simply having someone take the drone far away and see if you can still control it while it is on the ground. Flying beyond VLOS is dangerous as you cannot tell if something is nearby (like a small plane or helicopter).

The reason people are getting upset with this type of behavior is that there are a lot of people looking to put limits on what we can do as recreational fliers. In the USA there is now regulation being considered to make sure that drones and operators will be forced to identify themselves. This will make flying drones that do not have this feature of Remote ID illegal to fly here in the future so our drones today will not be permitted to fly. Also, it will become more difficult to fly in rural areas where internet service is not available.

I realize that you are from Bosnia but this is an international forum and we all have regulations to follow. I know of no place that allows you to fly beyond VLOS. So, rather than giving people a bunch of ??? why not show some respect for the rules. If you cannot bring yourself to do that, then please do NOT post videos that show you breaking the rules. It is not helpful.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman