DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Sharpest Settings & Best Focus Method

zeeeegerman

Reactions
Hey all,

I did some testing and came across a few things that either surprised me or confirmed to me the best way to get sharp footage or images.
I go through the sharpest settings & best focus methods in this video:

Feedback & Comments welcome!

How do you guys normally go about focusing when flying your Mavic 2?

B
I ain't clicking any youtube links no more. That's my feedback...
If there's any desire for a discussion - pls use words.
Bummer man, there's no way for me to type out the cinematic intro i worked hard on in words. How do you go about making sure your focus is tack-sharp then?

I use AFC all the time and I have yet to see any attempts at refocus in the recorded footage. Now, I probably don’t have a critical eye and am not looking for it so for this casual videographer it’s good enough.

I did enjoy your video but I suspect your intended audience is much more sophisticated than this old dude.

Reactions: ZooCougar and JAW
I'm with you, Camino Ken. I guess us "more age experienced" dudes are fine with AF. My first video shot with a new M2Z was just 45 seconds of random flying around that I watched on a 65" UHD TV. Content-wise it was a real snoozer but quality-wise it couldn't have been sharper.

I use AFC all the time and I have yet to see any attempts at refocus in the recorded footage. Now, I probably don’t have a critical eye and am not looking for it so for this casual videographer it’s good enough.

I did enjoy your video but I suspect your intended audience is much more sophisticated than this old dude.
Hey Camino Ken! Thanks for taking the time to watch and write a reply. I guess what mostly bugs me about AFC is the constant refocussing and all the beeping as im just flying around. Plus i tend to shoot in manual, so picking my favorite focuspoint is kind of a habbit i guess.

Thanks again!

Hey Camino Ken! Thanks for taking the time to watch and write a reply. I guess what mostly bugs me about AFC is the constant refocussing and all the beeping as im just flying around. Plus i tend to shoot in manual, so picking my favorite focuspoint is kind of a habbit i guess.

Thanks again!

Yes, your right, the constant beeping is a bit annoying. Unfortunately, my limited photography knowledge and skills never allowed me to be comfortable shooting in manual mode. I suspect there are a lot more people who are photographically challenged like me than experts like you. You should be proud.

Ken: Believe me, once you give manual mode a try and get comfortable with manipulating "the numbers," you will probably wonder why you haven't been using it all the time. By using the histogram and over-exposure warnings, you can quickly "dial it in" and off you go. Me thinks you will be happier in the long run.

Ken: Believe me, once you give manual mode a try and get comfortable with manipulating "the numbers," you will probably wonder why you haven't been using it all the time. By using the histogram and over-exposure warnings, you can quickly "dial it in" and off you go. Me thinks you will be happier in the long run.

Thanks for the encouragement. Your right, I probably will at some point after I get more comfortable flying first. Only around 25 flights total so far and it’s my very first drone. Still too nervous worrying about crashing to think about proper camera settings.

Reactions: sashby4
Hey all,

I did some testing and came across a few things that either surprised me or confirmed to me the best way to get sharp footage or images.
I go through the sharpest settings & best focus methods in this video:

Feedback & Comments welcome!

How do you guys normally go about focusing when flying your Mavic 2?

This is the best video I have seen on this topic. Thanks.

Reactions: zeeeegerman
Hey thanks ZooCougar. Much appreciated. You rocking the Mavic 2 Pro?

Yes. I originally got it because I love flying but the photography aspect has really taken hold of me. So I’ve been taking lots of bad pictures and videos but improving week over week.

Question on the peaking. Why do you do it on low first and then go to high?

Manual Mode - To help with the learning curve going from AF to manual, remember you do not have to fly your drone. Keep it on the ground, power it up, take it outside, move into different lighting and focus situations, and play with the manual mode features.

Reactions: Thomas B and ff22

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lschabert