DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Speed Run - 78.5 MPH

Brockrock

Reactions
The winds were fairly strong in my area yesterday afternoon, and I could not resist doing several speed runs with my M2P. Each outbound flight, I stayed low over the water - directly into the wind - until approximately one mile away, and then I performed a climbing turn towards home followed by switching to ATTI Mode. Included are Screen Recordings to show telemetry, and all of the flight clips are in real time. The fastest speed I reached was 78.5 MPH, which is also what is reported as Top Speed in GO4... For me, it's a personal best.

If you are not familiar with GO4, when the Screen Recordings show, the UAV speed is shown in MPH on the lower left. I am also aware that my camera settings were not ideal as I used Auto without an ND Filter, but these flights were all about speed.

When I first saw the title, I thought "uh oh, how did he manage to fight the wind in the other direction?" But then I saw that you used the wind to your advantage heading back.
Yip

Reactions: fguthrie
Why don't you give FPV a try? If you're interested in speed, it's the correct tool for the job
I would, but my early fifty eyes and mind would not do it justice. Plus, I love weather and wind, and I love playing with them..

Nice, like the way you flew out low, then up to some altitude to get the higher wind speed.
Certainly into that turn around it changed the speed fast.
I didn't see a switch to Sports mode, did you fly the whole thing in that ?

Nice, like the way you flew out low, then up to some altitude to get the higher wind speed.
Certainly into that turn around it changed the speed fast.
I didn't see a switch to Sports mode, did you fly the whole thing in that ?
I flew out in P-mode until I turned and climbed. I then switched to ATTI-mode. I previously remapped my remote's Tripod mode to ATTI.

Reactions: Mav1c
I flew out in P-mode until I turned and climbed. I then switched to ATTI-mode. I previously remapped my remote's Tripod mode to ATTI.

Ah, saw atti come up, wondered if it had (strangely) lost signal for a sec.
You flew atti all the way back I just noticed, looking at the end of video again.
Is that going to be faster than sports mode ?

Ah, saw atti come up, wondered if it had (strangely) lost signal for a sec.
You flew atti all the way back I just noticed, looking at the end of video again.
Is that going to be faster than sports mode ?
Good question. I do not know if ATTI is faster than Sports mode. Maybe someone else can chime in. I do not use Sports mode for another reason however. In ATTI mode, when you let off the gas, it coasts with the wind and momentum. In Sports mode, it stops on a dime, attempting to maintain position. This rapid stop from very high speed is tough on the UAV, but in ATTI, you can overfly and do a 180 in the coast, and then gently throttle up yourself in order to stop. Then into P mode, and then catch the bugger in your hand..

I would, but my early fifty eyes and mind would not do it justice. Plus, I love weather and wind, and I love playing with them..
I think you downplay yourself. Being able to control your quad fully in acro lets you surf on the wind, it's really satisfying. Best part though: you're allowed to crash, encouraged even. They're built to take a dive, change the props, and off you go.

I've got dive speeds over 100 mph easy if I wanted to. I tone it down not to keep it legal, but because footage at that speed is all but worthless, and its not worth pushing the rig that hard. I still use my Mavic pro, but once you try FPV it'll be your daily flier for sure

I think you downplay yourself. Being able to control your quad fully in acro lets you surf on the wind, it's really satisfying. Best part though: you're allowed to crash, encouraged even. They're built to take a dive, change the props, and off you go.

I've got dive speeds over 100 mph easy if I wanted to. I tone it down not to keep it legal, but because footage at that speed is all but worthless, and its not worth pushing the rig that hard. I still use my Mavic pro, but once you try FPV it'll be your daily flier for sure
You have me in thought. You are probably right. I will look into it.

• Love
Reactions: RTKD
I do not know if ATTI is faster than Sports mode. Maybe someone else can chime in. I do not use Sports mode for another reason however. In ATTI mode, when you let off the gas, it coasts with the wind and momentum. In Sports mode, it stops on a dime, attempting to maintain position. This rapid stop from very high speed is tough on the UAV, but in ATTI, you can overfly and do a 180 in the coast, and then gently throttle up yourself in order to stop.

Hmm, I would have thought atti would just stay with P mode speeds ??
Really need an atti hack to be able to test it though.
Be interesting to try your flight again in atti, then sports, you might break your record yet again.

Good point on the atti / sports and different flight with ease on the sticks, and atti not braking hard etc.
I fly sports mode fairly rarely, but when I do I avoid letting the stick go fully, rather a gradual release over 10 seconds or so to more normal P mode speed.

Probably this is more important with flying the M2 drone and possible battery selling / ejection risk.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
You have me in thought. You are probably right. I will look into it.
Jumper T12
Ev800d
Micro brusless trainer
(Around $300 USD)

Analog looks bad when you see it online, but it's somehow more engaging live. The beauty of this system is that you only have $100 in the air, and it's so light it avoids heavy damage when you crash. This is what I fly every day, and it's great for gaining confidence for bigger HD rigs

The winds were fairly strong in my area yesterday afternoon, and I could not resist doing several speed runs with my M2P. Each outbound flight, I stayed low over the water - directly into the wind - until approximately one mile away, and then I performed a climbing turn towards home followed by switching to ATTI Mode. Included are Screen Recordings to show telemetry, and all of the flight clips are in real time. The fastest speed I reached was 78.5 MPH, which is also what is reported as Top Speed in GO4... For me, it's a personal best.

If you are not familiar with GO4, when the Screen Recordings show, the UAV speed is shown in MPH on the lower left. I am also aware that my camera settings were not ideal as I used Auto without an ND Filter, but these flights were all about speed.

nice...I love it.
good job flying!

I thought ATTi mode slowed the drone down?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdober