DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 pro - Sudden flight error and report

hexaman

Reactions
Hi,
I bought my mavic 2 pro in 2020 may.

Today, I was taking off directly from ground towards sky, about in 10meters height my drone suddenly start drifting with higher speed towards nearby trees (distance from lift position 10-20 meters). This havent happened before.

I only pressed joystick to rise up towards skies, but this sudden event happened for reason X.

Drone crashed into tree branches, and I manage to turn it off with emergency controls.

I go home and check overall status (giving result in attached file). Drone is able to transmit image and video and record them, but other issues are informed as shown in screen shot. Gimbal dont move with joystick up or down.

What is your suggestion how to deal with errors and problems shown in screenshots? Are those repairable problems, by myself if I open drone, or necessary to send it to maintance?

I downloaded with DJI assistant log file, but dosent give any clear information (just random code etc., markings I'm unable to understand). How to open analyze this DAT file?

Thanks for help, if you can help...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211123-145639.png
    Screenshot_20211123-145639.png
    962.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Where exactly did you take off from , as it seems your drone might have gone into atti mode.
Do you remember getting a clear home point ?

Someone will help you with the upload soon.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Where exactly did you take off from , as it seems your drone might have gone into atti mode.
Do you remember getting a clear home point ?

Someone will help you with the upload soon.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

My home point is to set where I start drone.

I only pressed joystick towards up, then it about between 10-20 meters, it start fly away(speed up) towards those trees.

I manage to check my drone path from Dji app, it clearly shows howering away from rising path (was going to rise it into 50 meters). Odd thing is that when I check joystick controls from DJI app, it shows im pressing backwards etc, but I didnt because I'm not those people who start circle around trees or branches, only to test senseros.

DJI app also shows there is GPS mode, but near crashing trees it goes into ATTI mode.

Without seeing the logs, , i would say you some magnetic interference on take off and the Compass got hammered .
Where did you take off from, the grass ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. ?

...I only pressed joystick to rise up towards skies, but this sudden event happened for reason X.
Hi there country neighbor & welcome to the forum 👋 :D

The best way to find out what the "reason X" could have been ... is to share your flight logs here.

The one you downloaded from the craft itself is unfortunately unusable for us, that one is encrypted & can only be read by DJI staff.

The logs we can decode is stored in the mobile device you flew with. Go here & read up on how to retrieve the mobile device .TXT log (read under section 3.) --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide when you have it, just return to this thread & attach it in a new post.

The cable issue may be very simple. If it is a loose cable and not a damaged cable then half an hour's work or much less, should fix it.
On the underside of the drone there are two covers, the bright, silver one that houses various lenses and, to the front of that, a smaller, plastic cover. It is the latter you need to remove, 2 screws, but one may have a plug in the Allen key recess.
I assume the drone is no longer under warranty.
Remove the plug with a needle etc. and remove the 2 screws. With care and control pop the side arms of the cover 'out' to their sides and slide the cover forward and off.
The cable connector is under that cover, it is the smaller one of the two.
If it is NOT loose then the other end of the ribbon-cable is accessable on the top of the gimbal. If it is this that is loose you may have bigger problems, as the gimbal end of this ribbon cable is clamped down under a metal plate and the cable may have torn etc.
You can access the top of the gimbal by
1) disconnecting the ribbon cable from the drone
2) removing the 4 screws that hold the gimbal assembly in the drone.
Once the gimbal assembly is out you can get to the screws holding the above metal plate.
I think this is the video I followed,

There is a round multi stranded cable within the gimbal, if that by any chance is damaged then it is a lot bigger job. If its 'drone most' end has come loose it sits underneath the gold cover on the top of the gimbal carrier.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cable issue may be very simple. If it is a loose cable and not a damaged cable then half an hours work or much less should fix it.
On the underside of the drone there are two covers, the bright, silver one that houses various lenses and, to the front of that, a smaller, plastic cover. It is the latter you need to remove, 2 screws, but one may have a plug in the Allen key recess.
I assume the drone is no longer under warranty. Remove the pug with a needle etc and remove the 2 screws, with care and control pop the side arms of the cover 'out' to their sides and slide the cover forward and off.
The first pair of cable connectors are under that cover.
If they are NOT loose then the other end of the ribbon-cable cable is accessable on the top of the gimbal, if it is this that is loose you may have bigger problems, as the gimbal end of this ribbon cable is clamped down under a metal plate and the cable may have torn etc.
You can access the top of the gimbal by
1) disconnecting the two cables that run to the gimbal (1 ribbon, 1 round, multistranded ) then
2) removing the 4 screws that hold the gimbal assembly in the drone.
Once the gimbal assembly is out you can get to the screws holding the above metal plate.
I think this is the video I followed,

If the round, multistanded cable is damaged then the job is A LOT bigger, you have to completely dismantle the gimbal and remove the actual camera from its housing to replace that cable.

There was also these problems, if any idea what they mean

1. Imu calibration failed

2. Accelorometer failed (is this electronic part, or related to IMU?)

3.Check overal status in main controller

I am editing the above post, the round cable I initially mentioned comes later in the dismantling, I got things a bit muddled up.

With regards to the IMU, as far as I remember the procedure for calibrating that is in the app.
With regards to the accelorometer, I would be inclined to give the drone a couple of sharp knocks with the palm of my hand so that you accelerate the drone in the opposite direction to the decceration it suffered in the crash. This sometimes works with a Phantom when their accelerometer gets 'stuck', if your accelerometer has failed you will have to google where it is and how to replace it, sorry.
I suspect fixing 1 & 2 & the gimbal will sort out 3).

Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143