DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 SD card is OK to at least 256GB (seems the spec is wrong?)

passedpawn

Reactions
The DJI specs for maximum SD card size is 128GB (on their site).

I use both a 128GB and 256GB cards for my M2P. I have noticed that the DJI GO 4 app indicates the correct storage for the larger card, and the available video time / picture count is adjusted too.

So I put 150GB of files (3 large files) onto the 256GB card, put it in bird, and recorded about a minute of video. Played video on computer. It's all good.

So, unless I'm fooling myself here, it seems the 128GB limit on SD Card size is not real. Thoughts?

1567790440251.png

You are correct.

However, I use 64GB cards and change each flight to prevent video/photo loss in a worst case. The 64GB are also less expensive. In truth a 32GB cards, used as I note above is probably enough.

Well, I guess, when they released the Mavic 2 one year ago, 128 GB was maybe the biggest they tested and 256 GB pretty scarce.

From a technical viewpoint, these 256+ GB cards use the same standards. So the 256 GB should its job fine, however I stick to 128 GB but 2 cards to avoid any surprise. You never know where probably one cent of a controller less compatible could save hundreds of thousands in a final product. ;)

Hmm, I guess UHS-I cards should be compatible ... the newer the more likely they may change interface to UHS-II or so, which I doubt would be accepted.

Hmm, I guess als UHS-I cards should be compatible ... the newer the more likely they may change interface to UHS-II or so, which I doubt would be accepted.

I don't anticipate a need for a bigger card, but extrapolating I figure 1 TB cheap SD is right around the corner :)

Reactions: hactick
Bigger cards would have to have bigger FAT tables or bigger clusters. SW might not be able to handle that so compatible card size can be limited by a device.
Most often though it's a matter availability when specs were written.
Example: my older ASUS MB doesn't say I can use 4x8gb memory for total of 32GB, but I just installed such a set with no issues.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk