DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 took off forward instead of upward, then crashed into sidewalk

... I am not sure I understand if there is anything different that I should do to avoid a repetition of this problem.
As said ... your incident was hardware related, if the AC wasn't knocked around & flew normally without any abnormal back & forth drifts when hovering (which usually is signs of a needed IMU calibration) the flight before this happened it's nothing you can/could do to prevent this... a IMU calibration isn't normally needed on a regular basis.

Now it's more about finding out if a IMU calibration can fix the odd accelX value that in the end told the IMU that your AC was pitching up by 24 degrees ... if it's possible, try to do a proper IMU calibration on a flat horizontal surface & post the DAT.

Reactions: BudWalker
Yes, please do an IMU calibration and post the .DAT recorded during the calibration.
Thanks. Sorry for my late reply, I was traveling. I did the IMU calibration, and I got message that it was successful. I attach 2 .DAT files. They are both IMU calibrations I just did. Does this shed any light on how I could avoid this problem in the future? Do they say anything about whether this drone is salvageable? (I feel safer flying the new one I bought, but if this file says something about its status, and it is good, I could give it to someone as a present). Thanks!

Attachments

• 21-06-28-07-35-56_FLY077.DAT
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 21-06-28-07-24-40_FLY076.DAT
    4.2 MB · Views: 2
Thanks. Sorry for my late reply, I was traveling. I did the IMU calibration, and I got message that it was successful. I attach 2 .DAT files. They are both IMU calibrations I just did. Does this shed any light on how I could avoid this problem in the future? Do they say anything about whether this drone is salvageable? (I feel safer flying the new one I bought, but if this file says something about its status, and it is good, I could give it to someone as a present). Thanks!
The short answer is that the M2 needs to be repaired - probably by replacing the IMU.

FLY077.DAT contained an IMU calibration but FLY076.DAT did not. At the end of the calibration the M2 still has a problem with the X axis accelerometer.

I don't think it will make any difference but it appears that the calibration was not done properly. The DJI instructions specify that the M2 be placed 1) normally, 2) on the right side, 3) on the left side, 4) on it's tail pointing up, and 5) upside down. But the data shows the last two being reversed. I.e., 4) upside down and 5) on it's tail pointing up. Is this right?
1624719903323.png

The short answer is that the M2 needs to be repaired - probably by replacing the IMU.

FLY077.DAT contained an IMU calibration but FLY076.DAT did not. At the end of the calibration the M2 still has a problem with the X axis accelerometer.

I don't think it will make any difference but it appears that the calibration was not done properly. The DJI instructions specify that the M2 be placed 1) normally, 2) on the right side, 3) on the left side, 4) on it's tail pointing up, and 5) upside down. But the data shows the last two being reversed. I.e., 4) upside down and 5) on it's tail pointing up. Is this right?
View attachment 131274
I would like to thank again you and the others who helped with this issue. I just recalibrated the IMU, three times. Each time the calibration seemed to work well, and at the end I got the message 'Calibration successful'. Unfortunately however, no .DAT file was generated (that is why I did it 3 times, hoping that by redoing it, it would actually create the file). As far as I am concerned, there is no point chasing this any further, because no matter what could be found, from a practical standpoint, it will not lead me to do anything different. I am going to dispose of this M2 and start flying with my new M2. The reason I do not plan to try to salvage the old M2 is that I would not feel comfortable flying it again. My hope was that the analysis by the experts would point to an error that I made and that I could avoid in the future. Or that it could point to a software or hardware issue, and to a way to prevent it from happening in the future. While you greatly deepened my knowledge of this incident, if I can summarize in my simple terms the conclusion: something happened that messed up the IMU, but we don't know what it was or what might have caused it, and a recalibration does not fix the problem. I really appreciate all the work you all did for me. It's great too know that there is a support group of knowledgeable and kind folks out there when things don't work quite as expected!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929