DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom: Connection lost continuously; total loss of control; no RTH; eventually landed itself; SCARY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

teach_n_tax

Reactions
Hello. We upgraded to a Mavic 2 Zoom the day they were released and have been flying several times a week since then. Recently I have had some occasional "lost connection" issues. Recently my Samsung 8 phone screen will go black for (usually) not more than 10-20 seconds. Each time, RTH would self-activate and shortly thereafter the connection and video feed to my phone would return.

Today I lost signal again, but during this flight I also observed a new notice about updating firmwide while I was flying. So, we immediately landed and installed the latest firmware update. Upon launching again, bad news! We hadn't flown more than 50 yards away and the UAV lost signal. We attempted to return to home point and land but still more connection problems. Re-connection would occur for a couple seconds before dropping again. In the meantime, we attempted to both reconnect and restart the remote and the app, which didn't help. Eventually we gained control and had the UAV hovering about 10 feet off the paved surface near where we launched. Then, we lost all control and couldn't do anything to fly the UAV. Also, the obstacle detection was not functioning based on attempting to make the UAV "move" out of our way when we came near it. We thought the UAV would activate RTH and land itself, but RTH never occurred at this point. Battery level was still above 70%, so fortunately no worries there. However, the UAV continued to hover for several minutes. Eventually it decided to land itself. We are not sure what caused that, and it never returned to the exact homepoint. Thankfully the landing spot was safe and no damage was sustained. However, we are sufficiently freaked out so as not to fly any more at this point!

I have seen some other users noting Mavic 2 connection issues. However, today was extra scary, and it occurred immediately after updating the firmware. So, that leads me to believe there are bugs in the firmware update(?) Depending upon where the UAV would have lost connection and self-landed (and since obstacle detection was not functioning, either), landing could have been quite problematic.

So, my question is "Now What??" DJI Support is closed until Monday. I have flown DJIs for more than 2 years but have never felt as out of control as I did today! I welcome any and all advice! (If flight logs/access would be helpful, just let me know where and how to retrieve those.) Thanks in advance for wisdom!

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I also have a mavic 2 zoom and I'm using a note 8 to fly with it. I got it immediately after it was offered and have had no problems like yours. I do have a couple of suggestions however.
Before I did anything I would remove the DJI 4 app and reinstall it. always make sure it is the only thing running on your smart device when you fly. First I would try a separate cable and see if my connection improves. Second I would try a different smartphone.
Also by any chance do you have lichee installed on your device? I found this caused symptoms similar to what you were experiencing and they were very frightening...
Hope this helps you.

Are you using the side USB or bottom USB? I had two weird disconnects happen when I was using the side port. That side port is just wonky. I think I just lost the video connection but I was either still on the ground or hovering so maybe it did lose connection. I restarted and all was fine. I changed over to the bottom USB after that and it has been rock solid for me. This is with a Pixel 2 XL.

IMHO the range sucks. Nowhere near 5 miles. Heck at 1/2 mile I get disconnects, loss of video etc. this is with iPhone X and XS.

IMHO the range sucks. Nowhere near 5 miles. Heck at 1/2 mile I get disconnects, loss of video etc. this is with iPhone X and XS.
Is the remote control disconnecting? or just the phone?
if the Go4 app drops off it does not usually mean you have lost connection to the drone. In your case it sounds like a cable to the phone issue. If you are using the DJI short cable in the side of the remote you need to make SURE that the phone clamp is square with the connector side of the phone, and the connector is fully seated in the phone.

For Android, Go 4.3.0 would often crash during second or third flight in a session.
So far Go 4.3.2 has been stable but haven't yet been able to fly 3 flights in a row. I thought I would be able to today but only 2 batteries charged in the hub, so only 2 flights this last session.
Charging that last battery using car charger now. Nice to have a Prius and get full 13.8v from system without engine constantly running.

Is the remote control disconnecting? or just the phone?
if the Go4 app drops off it does not usually mean you have lost connection to the drone. In your case it sounds like a cable to the phone issue. If you are using the DJI short cable in the side of the remote you need to make SURE that the phone clamp is square with the connector side of the phone, and the connector is fully seated in the phone.

Hmmm well I’m new to these drones so I haven’t looked at the remote yet when it happens. The first couple of times it was an o **** panic mode for me. Lost video many times then see it come back. Couple of times it wouldn’t come back without exiting the app. Sometimes it says signal loss in the app and it auto activated return to home.

It has happened in open areas with little interference (places like Adirondacks out in east bum****) many times no more then 3/4 mile straight line distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you power the remote off in flight, that will cause a RTH. When it happens, look at the RC display to see if it is still showing current data. If so, You have a cable problem, or a phone problem.

Just seems like the range is nowhere near the published in real life situations. Not even 1/4 the range.

I think there is a bad batch out there, I have heard several reports of this, exchanged and problem gone.

I have been blown away by my range, compared to MP. I have M2Z.

Reactions: fleurdelisxliv
Hello. We upgraded to a Mavic 2 Zoom the day they were released and have been flying several times a week since then. Recently I have had some occasional "lost connection" issues. Recently my Samsung 8 phone screen will go black for (usually) not more than 10-20 seconds. Each time, RTH would self-activate and shortly thereafter the connection and video feed to my phone would return.

Today I lost signal again, but during this flight I also observed a new notice about updating firmwide while I was flying. So, we immediately landed and installed the latest firmware update. Upon launching again, bad news! We hadn't flown more than 50 yards away and the UAV lost signal. We attempted to return to home point and land but still more connection problems. Re-connection would occur for a couple seconds before dropping again. In the meantime, we attempted to both reconnect and restart the remote and the app, which didn't help. Eventually we gained control and had the UAV hovering about 10 feet off the paved surface near where we launched. Then, we lost all control and couldn't do anything to fly the UAV. Also, the obstacle detection was not functioning based on attempting to make the UAV "move" out of our way when we came near it. We thought the UAV would activate RTH and land itself, but RTH never occurred at this point. Battery level was still above 70%, so fortunately no worries there. However, the UAV continued to hover for several minutes. Eventually it decided to land itself. We are not sure what caused that, and it never returned to the exact homepoint. Thankfully the landing spot was safe and no damage was sustained. However, we are sufficiently freaked out so as not to fly any more at this point!

I have seen some other users noting Mavic 2 connection issues. However, today was extra scary, and it occurred immediately after updating the firmware. So, that leads me to believe there are bugs in the firmware update(?) Depending upon where the UAV would have lost connection and self-landed (and since obstacle detection was not functioning, either), landing could have been quite problematic.

So, my question is "Now What??" DJI Support is closed until Monday. I have flown DJIs for more than 2 years but have never felt as out of control as I did today! I welcome any and all advice! (If flight logs/access would be helpful, just let me know where and how to retrieve those.) Thanks in advance for wisdom!

Hi Everyone, This is my first post / reply here so id be most grateful for any information or assistance.

in response to the above - On my last flight my Mav 2 zoom totally lost control, I activated RTH and it subsequently lost connection and landed 400 metres away, I found it upside down on a random driveway with a busted rotor arm.
could've hurt somebody and ended up in court over this. I have a potentially expensive repair and a full set of rotors to replace, not to mention a massive dent in confidence.

I also would like access to flight logs to try and understand what happened.

Please help!

Hi Everyone, This is my first post / reply here so id be most grateful for any information or assistance.

in response to the above - On my last flight my Mav 2 zoom totally lost control, I activated RTH and it subsequently lost connection and landed 400 metres away, I found it upside down on a random driveway with a busted rotor arm.
could've hurt somebody and ended up in court over this. I have a potentially expensive repair and a full set of rotors to replace, not to mention a massive dent in confidence.

I also would like access to flight logs to try and understand what happened.

Please help!

I think this is what you want. If you post your flight log your questions will be answered.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help

How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

Last edited:
Reactions: Vagabondproductions
Does the 2 zoom really have up to 5 miles range. Because I calll BS. The further i have flown it is 1/2 mile. And lost connection and flew straight into a building. I sent it off to DJI for repair and they claimed unable to pull the flight record from
The drone it’s not a malfunction issue so I would have to pay for the repairs. How in gods name do they know this if they xan’t even pull the flight record?? I’m blessed to have a succceess business and my family will not starve over $800. I’ve 2 Reputation and social media gurus that works for me and will make sure other potential consumer know that they are dealing with a company that’s Unaccountable. Also im
Planning to dispute this purchase with my credit card company. My business partner purchased the same model and you wouldn’t believe what happened today but a story for another time.

I’ve a few occasions that the Obstacle avoidance was disabled in mid flight without me changing to sport mode. I would feel a little better if the connection was lost. The drone would use the outbound path that it took to RTH. Im Still trying to wrap my head around why DJI CLAIMED 5 mile radius when it’s not even freaking close to that???

Last edited:
I’ve a few occasions that the Obstacle avoidance was disabled in mid flight without me changing to sport mode. I would feel a little better if the connection is lost. The drone would RTH ising inbound path that it took on the outbound. I’m Still trying to wrap my head around why DJI CLAIMED 5 mile radius when it’s not even freaking close to that???

There are plenty of examples of that kind of range being achieved, but it depends on terrain and environment.

...but it depends on terrain and environment.

And on your equipment, namely mobile device and cable used. Good USB cable and use the bottom USB-A port. If that doesn't solve the range problem, try another mobile device.

And on your equipment, namely mobile device and cable used. Good USB cable and use the bottom USB-A port. If that doesn't solve the range problem, try another mobile device.

I don't think that the mobile device should have any effect on range - that is surely dependent only on the radio link between the RC and the aircraft.

Reactions: JS1600 and ff22
With my MP I've found that some HDMI cables do have an impact on range. But, the biggest impact came from using a right angle HDMI adapter. My theory is that the sharp angle causes the the adapter to radiate RF. Either at a harmonic used by the RC/AC link or the RC receiver front end isn't too selective.

Reactions: sar104
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78