DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 zoom gone crazy

Fred Smyth

Reactions
I was flying my 1 hour old mavic 2 zoom very slowly in tripod mode using a nexus 7 tablet connected to a hotspot on my phone in my pocket. Suddenly the drone took off up above the surrounding trees and wouldn't respond to the control sticks at all. At one stage after bouncing from one tree to another I brought the 2 sticks down and in to kill the prop motors and fall in a pile of soft moss. But no response.
Can any one please give me a possible reason for this behaviour or misbehaviour.
I put on the spare prop and its flying again but I have lost confidence in being in control.

I was flying my 1 hour old mavic 2 zoom very slowly in tripod mode using a nexus 7 tablet connected to a hotspot on my phone in my pocket. Suddenly the drone took off up above the surrounding trees and wouldn't respond to the control sticks at all. At one stage after bouncing from one tree to another I brought the 2 sticks down and in to kill the prop motors and fall in a pile of soft moss. But no response.
Can any one please give me a possible reason for this behaviour or misbehaviour.
I put on the spare prop and its flying again but I have lost confidence in being in control.
Sounds like a disturbing experience! You'll want to follow the instructions in this post: Flight log retrieval and analysis guide
By making your log files available to the experts here, you'll likely receive a detailed analysis of exactly what happened. Good luck!

Reactions: Zeke
It's not possible to tell what the cause of your incident is without seeing the recorded flight data.
But the most likely cause of a drone unexpectedly climbing is low battery RTH.
Post your data and it will confirm whether this is what happened or provide clues to find out what did.
There are lots of things that can go wrong and understanding what could go wrong is the key to making sure they don't happen to you.

Really just sound like you hit the RTH button by mistake , is that possible ? That would explain the behavior and the panic to kill the motors.

Sounds like a disturbing experience! You'll want to follow the instructions in this post: Flight log retrieval and analysis guide
By making your log files available to the experts here, you'll likely receive a detailed analysis of exactly what happened. Good luck!
Thank you. I have attached the flight record in question.
I also opened it as a flight data replay on my nexus 7 flying tablet. It seems to me that the message came on the screen that the home point was recorded even though i didn't notice the no GPS with 13 satellites message on 20200222_230511.pngthe screen as i was flying.
I also think for some reason the drone decided to go home at the 70 meters i have it set it to for the hilly area I live in and on its accent caught a branch and the rest is history. I am in experienced at log reading but that would fit.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-02-22_[17-32-05][1].txt
    407.9 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Really just sound like you hit the RTH button by mistake , is that possible ? That would explain the behavior and the panic to kill the motors.
I really don't think so and I didnt hear the return to home beep or speech message even though GO HOME shows up on the flight data replay video.

I really don't think so and I didnt hear the return to home beep or speech message even though GO HOME shows up on the flight data replay video.
It is more likely than that you did not hear the beep in the panic of loosing control and that would explain the Go Home message and the behavior of the drone . The data log should show if you pushed the button by accident or it happened on its own.

Without analysis of the log file, @Fred Smyth, everything is just speculation. I recommend you sit tight until @sar104 or @slup or another resident expert steps in with something based on facts.

I also opened it as a flight data replay on my nexus 7 flying tablet. It seems to me that the message came on the screen that the home point was recorded even though i didn't notice the no GPS with 13 satellites message on the screen as i was flying
I also think for some reason the drone decided to go home at the 70 meters i have it set it to for the hilly area I live in and on its accent caught a branch and the rest is history. I am in experienced at log reading but that would fit.
The flight data shows you received a low battery warning at 4:02.4 which initiated RTH.
RTH under trees often ends badly and it's not a good idea to fly under trees at low battery levels.
It's better to be proactive and bring the drone back with a safe reserve than leaving it to come home itself with a low battery.

One other problem is that you launched with a partially discharged battery.
This is unsafe as the %indication will be wrong unless the battery starts the flight fully charged.
This is also why it reached low voltage level after only 4 minutes of flight.

The flight data shows you received a low battery warning at 4:02.4 which initiated RTH.
RTH under trees often ends badly and it's not a good idea to fly under trees at low battery levels.
It's better to be proactive and bring the drone back with a safe reserve than leaving it to come home itself with a low battery.

One other problem is that you launched with a partially discharged battery.
This is unsafe as the %indication will be wrong unless the battery starts the flight fully charged.
This is also why it reached low voltage level after only 4 minutes of flight.
Thank you for your help. It seems I messed up and got off lightly.

Without analysis of the log file, @Fred Smyth, everything is just speculation. I recommend you sit tight until @sar104 or @slup or another resident expert steps in with something based on facts.
Have nothing more to add to @Meta4's assessment of this event ... at 242sec SmartPowerGoHome were initiated as the battery were down to 20% which also the gohomeBattery level were set to.

You were obviously too overwhelmed by panic to feel that the craft was completely under control. When you applied the stick-in command the craft did tilt accordingly :

1582423005623.png

You probably have tuned the vol. down on you tablet or you would have known that the craft has switched to RTH mode and reacted more sensibly

Last edited:
Thank you for your help. It seems I messed up and got off lightly.

Don't feel to bad , Panic shows up a lot on these forums and its all part of becoming a Seasoned Pilot .
RTH is not as simple as it seems so you might want to read up on some of the finer points of how to use it.. and learn to use and abuse it as its your fail safe most of the time but not all of the time.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Reactions: Gindra
I also opened it as a flight data replay on my nexus 7 flying tablet. It seems to me that the message came on the screen that the home point was recorded even though i didn't notice the no GPS with 13 satellites message on View attachment 94780the screen as i was flying.
The 18% battery would worry me

Don't feel to bad , Panic shows up a lot on these forums and its all part of becoming a Seasoned Pilot .
RTH is not as simple as it seems so you might want to read up on some of the finer points of how to use it.. and learn to use and abuse it as its your fail safe most of the time but not all of the time.

Phantomrain.org
Coal
Thank you . I'm delighted that it wasn't a craft failure. I was walking 3 meters behind it and forgot that it didn't use the controller as a home point. And even if I had the home point set to the controller the rise to home point would have ended the same..
This is a wonderful Forum.

Although the low battery audible message comes from the phone, the RTH beeping comes from the RC itself.

The user selectable battery level is for a warning only. This is not the level that determines when RTH is engaged. Low Battery RTH level is dynamically determined by height and distance from home point. Upon reaching low battery RTH level, the app will prompt to engage or cancel, defaulting to engage if no response from pilot for 10 seconds.
I would think it difficult to miss all of this.

At least it ended OK.

Always watch your battery level. I glance at my batt level at least once every couple of minutes, I’m just programmed to do that. I always bring her home early, I have 6 batts, so no reason to keep my craft up longer than need be... You learned a lesson that will not be forgotten, and hopefully for you, never happen again. Happy Flights !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverbobomalem