DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 zoom landing “spot on”

Cloud Bustet

Reactions
FYI, Today I was practicing flying maneuvers at a model aircraft field. This field is just outside of OHare restricted air space along an approach lane and planes were using it. At one point, I positioned the AC 3’ above a painted spot surrounded by a painted 6’ diameter painted ring on this very large asphalt landing pad. This was not a recorded home point but was serving as a camera focus point. The camera was pointed nadir view.
The MPz was in tripod GPS mode and the wind was very gusty around 12 mph AGL. I ascended straight up to 398’ hovered for a few seconds and descended still in tripod mode and the AC landed about 1 foot from the taken off spot.
This was not conducted as a test but to capture slow motion video to be used as b roll. I was astonished that it landed so close to the where it first elevated given the wind, potential jet turbulence, the wind at altitude, not using a recorded home point as a target to land from 398’. The flight was left stick straight up / straight down.

Sounds like it may have recorded a Precision Landing. If you were only flying Straight up that is exactly how you set Precision Landing with the Zoom. Launch, let it hover at its take off height then go straight up to to 23 feet before leaving the home point.

Sounds like it may have recorded a Precision Landing. If you were only flying Straight up that is exactly how you set Precision Landing with the Zoom. Launch, let it hover at its take off height then go straight up to to 23 feet before leaving the home point.
Hmm. I thought it had to be 33 or 34 feet. Maybe someone can clarify that number.

Hmm. I thought it had to be 33 or 34 feet. Maybe someone can clarify that number.
Here ya go, from the updated instructions for Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom Precision Landing

Prerequisites for using Precision Landing
In order to use Precision Landing on the Mavic 2, you’ll need to install firmware version 1.00.02.00 (or higher). Follow these instructions to update the firmware using DJI GO or the DJI Assistant 2 application. You should also install the current version of DJI GO 4 from the app store on your mobile device.

4) Wait for the home point to be set.
If the Mavic has a good GPS signal, the home point should be automatically marked after the motors have been started. Check the map in DJI GO to ensure the “H” symbol is marked in the correct location.

5) Ascend straight up when taking off.
When taking off, it’s important to ascend straight up above the home point for at least 23 feet (7 meters) before moving the Mavic in any direction horizontally. That will allow the Mavic to properly record the takeoff location. There is no need to hover in place after the Mavic has ascended to at least 23 feet (the takeoff point has already been recorded at this point).

Reactions: kidroc
Here ya go, from the updated instructions for Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom Precision Landing

Prerequisites for using Precision Landing
In order to use Precision Landing on the Mavic 2, you’ll need to install firmware version 1.00.02.00 (or higher). Follow these instructions to update the firmware using DJI GO or the DJI Assistant 2 application. You should also install the current version of DJI GO 4 from the app store on your mobile device.

4) Wait for the home point to be set.
If the Mavic has a good GPS signal, the home point should be automatically marked after the motors have been started. Check the map in DJI GO to ensure the “H” symbol is marked in the correct location.

5) Ascend straight up when taking off.
When taking off, it’s important to ascend straight up above the home point for at least 23 feet (7 meters) before moving the Mavic in any direction horizontally. That will allow the Mavic to properly record the takeoff location. There is no need to hover in place after the Mavic has ascended to at least 23 feet (the takeoff point has already been recorded at this point).
Thank you for that Info. What publication is that from?

Thank you for that Info. What publication is that from?
I dont even know, when I saw your question I just did a quick google search....I love google. When I bought the zoom there were no instructions on how to do a precision landing so I googled it "how to do a precision landing with Mavic 2 zoom" got lots of results including video tutorials. Google is your friend, I find more answers there then on the forum.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy007