Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom

GFields

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
digitalphotocreations.co
I have owned my Mavic 2 Zoom since Jan 2019 and have many great flights. However, while flying yesterday, it fell from the sky without warning. The video file was corrupted in the crash and I'm trying to repair it. I have uploaded the flight record log and hope that some of the experts might be able to tell what happened. The flight log can be viewed here (DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com).

I have been flying for over six years.

Reactions: E90RAW
To me it looked like it hit something. Did you recover it?

The only thing at 170 feet AGL would be a bird perhaps. Yes I recovered it.

The only thing at 170 feet AGL would be a bird perhaps. Yes I recovered it.
Glad you recovered it. Did it land on the roof of the house, or close by? And was the battery by any chance still in the body of the drone?

Could be a birdstrike, seems like either that, or the battery dislodging. Though you where flying in a straight line.

How old was the battery? And have you noticed any swelling on it, or on any other battery’s that you have and most likely treated the same way as this.

You could try and post the flight log here, it might provide some insights to what happened. You could also try to upload the log to Drone Data Management and Flight Analysis | Airdata UAV that presents some more data including battery data and cell voltage.

Glad you recovered it. Did it land on the roof of the house, or close by? And was the battery by any chance still in the body of the drone?

Could be a birdstrike, seems like either that, or the battery dislodging. Though you where flying in a straight line.

How old was the battery? And have you noticed any swelling on it, or on any other battery’s that you have and most likely treated the same way as this.

You could try and post the flight log here, it might provide some insights to what happened. You could also try to upload the log to Drone Data Management and Flight Analysis | Airdata UAV that presents some more data including battery data and cell voltage.

The link to the flight log is in the post. The battery has only 6 charging cycles and no swelling. It is doubtful (in my opinion) to be a battery issue

The link to the flight log is in the post. The battery has only 6 charging cycles and no swelling. It is doubtful (in my opinion) to be a battery issue
Sounds at least highly doubtful that if the battery fell out, it was caused by swelling since it’s that new. Unless it has been left fully charged for really long periods, or stored unsuitable, such in a hot car or something like that.
Did you recover the battery?

I saw the log, but it might be more convenient for people to download it from the thread here.

Sounds at least highly doubtful that if the battery fell out, it was caused by swelling since it’s that new. Unless it has been left fully charged for really long periods, or stored unsuitable, such in a hot car or something like that.
Did you recover the battery?

I saw the log, but it might be more convenient for people to download it from the thread here.

Yes I recovered the battery and it works fine. What do you mean by downloading from the thread? If anyone wants to download the file they can do so from the phantomhelp.com/LogViewer

Although I do use Airdata as well, it show much less information and detail as the log above.

Looks like it lost a prop.

Attitude.png

The mobile device DAT file ending FLY058.DAT will provide the definitive data.

You could try to post the .dat file here if you have it. I alerts thought that Airdata presents more information derived from logs, and present them in a way that’s easy to overlook.

Glad to hear you recovered the battery.

Given the height and that the battery was so new, I would place my money either on a bird strike, or the loss of a propellor (which could be caused by a bird ofc).
Someone skilled enough to interperate logs will probably be able to tell.

Attached is the .dat file.

I'm leaning towards a bird attack since I have not removed the props and always check them pre-flight for tightness and wear or other damage.

Attachments

• 20-07-05-10-19-32_FLY063.DAT
    658.2 KB · Views: 5
Attached is the .dat file.

I'm leaning towards a bird attack since I have not removed the props and always check them pre-flight for tightness and wear or other damage.

That's FLY063.DAT. As I mentioned in post #8, the flight log is FLY058.DAT.

That's FLY063.DAT. As I mentioned in post #8, the flight log is FLY058.DAT.

I'll try to find it but the one I posted was the last flight I made.

Attachments

• 20-07-04-05-48-25_FLY058.DAT
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
FLY058.DAT. is dated the day before, but here ya go

Thank you. That was not a lost prop - it appears to have been front right motor failure. Motor speed dropped to zero and demand (PWM) went to 100%. The aircraft kicked CCW and nothing unusual was recorded by the accelerometers, which rules out a mid-air collision.

motorspeed.png

pwm.png

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Reactions: itsneedtokno
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007