DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 and Classic

So pardon my noobness, but whats this SDK all about? obviously software, but is it more for 3rd party apps?
Yes, it is a condition precedent for any 3rd party apps, that require it to embellish existing features and add new ones, within the SDK controllable parameters.

so this SDK is what is required for these automatic mapping apps to do their thing. got it. Thank you!

This community rocks. =)
Correct, although I thought I had recently read one of the mapping companies claiming they had created a workaround without the SDK. Litchi is the most popular alternative flying app, requiring the SDK, that gives the user much more control over all the various features, but it isn't a mapping app.

Until your phone heats up and the screen starts to go dim.

The difference is the 7x telephoto, the gimbal lock (no gimbal lock on the M3 Classic—it hangs limp when powered off, making it harder to install the bra), and the superior bra (now redesigned in a much cheaper form on the Classic with far less protection to save money).

Rather than feeling ripped off, I strongly suggest you realize what a gem the 7x telephoto camera currently is. You can safely get the same image and video from 7x further away, and can fly closer, where possible, to use the 4/3 sensor for even better images. It currently supports DNG and manual settings, and can also now be used for Spotlight and POI on static subjects. Try it! You'll like it!

You've also had the use of the drone over the last year!
Two upgrade options now exist for your inferior RC-N1!
The $300 DJI RC and the $1200 RC Pro.
Get the RC Pro, if you can afford it.
The DJI RC is the poor man's RC Pro, which is why it is sold with the poor man's Mavic 3, the Mavic 3 Classic!
You got the right drone.
You just haven't gotten the right RC for it yet!
"the gimbal lock (no gimbal lock on the M3 Classic—it hangs limp when powered off, making it harder to install the bra), and the superior bra (now redesigned in a much cheaper form on the Classic with far less protection to save money)."

Holy crap. I bought a Mavic 3 Classic a month ago, but picked up a Mavic 3 used. At first I thought my gimbal on the Classic was broken after seeing the 3 lock, and I always thought the bra that came with the Classic was cheap crap.

After reading your post above, I totally get it. I had bought a new bra directly from DJI but it was still in the box at my desk. I just opened it and wow, not only is it better made, but where it clips up on top instead of on the rear is easier to work with. I do get though that maybe they were trying to make it easier to access the battery compartment with the bra on.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Until that phone heats up and the screen goes dim on you,and it will.
Been there I know,thats why I only use a tripltek tabletnow.

The RC-N1 lacks a second scroll wheel needed for simultaneous zooming and gimbal elevation during video recording. If you want a brighter screen, the RC Pro is 1000 nits vs. the 700 nits of the DJI RC, and the RC Pro can also be used with the 10.1" FeelWorld 2200 nit monitor.

Last edited:
To lend some perspective...
I just yesterday bought a Mavic 3. I could have bought the Mavic 3 Classic: I saw that it cost significantly less, and came with the DJI RC controller. However, after I did some research (including watching the video PAW posted a link to, above) I realized I definitely wanted the Mavic 3 with the 2 cameras, instead of the less expensive Mavic 3 Classic.

I have several drones now. I have the Air 2S, and I have the Mini 2 and Mini 3 Pro.

I wanted the Mavic 3 for 4 reasons:
(1) greater wind resistance than the others (albeit not that much more than Air 2S)
(2) longer flight time than Air 2S (although similar to Mini 3 on the extended batteries)
(3) 360 degree obstacle avoidance -- nice to have though I fly cautiously and do not rely on obstacle avoidance for safety
(4) 2nd camera with 7x telephoto lens, and up to 28x digital zoom overall.

The last one was the most important to me. It was what would allow me to do things I can't do with any of my other drones. The ability to get telephoto views from up high (as opposed to standing on the ground with a standard camera) was very unique. Also, I was thrilled with the parallax video clips taken in the video PAW shared. This is really special. Now not everyone would be that excited with these things, but in my mind, those who are, are a good fit for the Mavic 3.

To have all these 4 things combined, was really desirable.
I actually fly my Mini 2 or Mini 3 most often, because I do a lot of flying in areas I hike into, where I don't want to be carrying in a heavy drone on a long hike. But when I dont' have a long walk to where I'm flying, the Air 2S and/or Mavic 3 could be really fun. And there have been many situations where I've brought the Mini 2 and felt it was too windy to fly. Eg, ground wind speed over 10-12mph I begin to feel it's too windy for the small drones. But the Air 2S and Mavic 3 I would feel comfortable flying in some conditions that are a stretch for the Mini 2 or Mini 3. Yet ground wind speeds over 15-18 mph I probably wouldn't fly any drone. (I imagine ground speed of 18mph translates to 22-25mph up a couple hundred feet...)

Reactions: PAW and GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998