DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Ascending when flying forward.

DJI has asked me to send the Mavic 3 - the ENTIRE Fly More Combo back for exchange. NOT because of the intermittent un-commanded ascension up to the max altitude, but for multiple defective accessories. Propellers with visibly wavy edges on the trailing edges - 2 badly, one slightly. Saw it the first time I unfolded those beautiful, long, slender metal arms while unboxing the combo.

Yes, the main length of the arms are cast in a lightweight metal alloy. The caps under the motors, and landing gear appears to be plastic. A quick test to identify a metal part is, in cool temps between 40-65° F is just to hold it to your cheek, which is more sensitive than your fingers. Metal is more inductive and will feel substantially cooler than a plastic component. I checked the camera module as well, as it looked like plastic. It is metal. I can't check the back of the gimbal this way. I hope it isn't polycarbonate like the Air 2 -DJI upgraded the Air 2S gimbal to some metal alloy, for the relatively big camera. At least it USED to look big, before this beast arrived.

But I digress. Often and annoyingly but I am seeking treatment.

The other defects were the muzzle (substitute your favorite derisive terms here) has the magnetic tab sewn on with thread that almost completely misses the elastic strap

and the bag has a fabric tumor right under the front magnetic flap.

The kit is shipping back today. DI says 4-6 days NOT including shipping. I am looking at a few weeks without my new drone. That's painful, but probably LESS painful than doing so later, assuming I would even get the opportunity again.

Attachments

• Drone Cover Strap Defect.jpg
    Drone Cover Strap Defect.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Point Zero
I have some interesting info. I will have to go through my flights from this past weekend to find where I saw it.

These were the scenarios that troubled me and sent me to this thread:

I would be flying at say, 100 ft. maybe a large circle, and it would keep ascending, not fast perhaps 3-5 feet per second, all the way up to max altitude. Thought maybe I was slightly pushing forward on left stick, but I fly with this controller on Mini 2 and Air 2. Then did it even with my hand off the left stick entirely.

On the weekend I saw it. I thought perhaps it was seeing obstacles way out (sensors can detect 200 meters vs. 20 on the MP2). Then this happened: I saw the radar lighting up for obstacles BELOW the drone. I was at 250 feet! I'm sure its not common, but there may be a production run with this, possibly fixable with FW, possibly not.

I am happy I am getting an exchange. I can't be playing around with the drone coming back and still doing it, sending it again, etc. Conditions were low sun, treetops illuminated, at dusk.

If I can identify the flight(s) logs will be uploaded.

I would be flying at say, 100 ft. maybe a large circle, and it would keep ascending, not fast perhaps 3-5 feet per second, all the way up to max altitude. Thought maybe I was slightly pushing forward on left stick, but I fly with this controller on Mini 2 and Air 2. Then did it even with my hand off the left stick entirely.
This is the behavior I was seeing before I reflashed the firmware through the DJI Assistant. I guess I just got lucky because I haven't had the issue since (been almost a week). At least you're getting it swapped out.

I got a new drone and it does the same my old one did. I too think it has something to do with the sensors.. waves pop up on the radar when there is nothing near the drone and I'm high up..keep us posted.

Well, I think I jinxed myself. Saw the issue again. I've been paranoid of it so I caught it immediately. Lost 10ft in about a second. Saw it on the screen and corrected.

1:36.7.... then started correcting at 1:38.1. No movement on the left stick at all.

I'll dig through a few other flights since the refresh but I've never had these issues with any other DJI product. It's really disheartening.

Well, I think I jinxed myself. Saw the issue again. I've been paranoid of it so I caught it immediately. Lost 10ft in about a second. Saw it on the screen and corrected.

1:36.7.... then started correcting at 1:38.1. No movement on the left stick at all.

I'll dig through a few other flights since the refresh but I've never had these issues with any other DJI product. It's really disheartening.
Why are you getting negative attitude when you return to your home point?

I got a new drone and it does the same my old one did. I too think it has something to do with the sensors.. waves pop up on the radar when there is nothing near the drone and I'm high up..keep us posted.
It won't fix your big altitude reading errors, but flying with the obstacle avoidance sensors turned off would be a way to check whether OA is causing the other issues.

I also received my new / exchanged Fly More package yesterday. Did a quick test flight a couple of minutes ago because of bad weather all day long yesterday... and what should I say... it's behaving exactly the same. So please, fellow M3 pilots... could you please answer this questions or check during your next flight:

When you fly straight forward without ascending or descending and let the control stick center immediately... the drone stops / brakes in one backward pitch movement. So far so good...

But maybe you could check on your drones: When you decrease throttle slowly ... does your drone slow down in a controlled one-pitch-movement or does it somehow "wiggle" back and forth and perform mulitple braking pitches when you throttle down to zero?

The same is the case, when flying forward and performing a slow turn / yaw. It brakes by design (APAS 5.0), that is clear. But also there it performs small pitch movements, what looks even stranger or wilder because of the additional turn. Is that normal?

I mean, I try to like this new drone... and I have no problem with keeping it and waiting for the firmware updates, if someone says, this is the normal state of the flying behavior...

But when someone watches my drone flying and thinks "oh... a complete newbie rocking the sticks on the controller like crazy". I mean, I know better :) ... The opposite is the case. It behaves that way when I'm really gentle on the sticks.

It really drives me crazy... please someone help me.

Last edited:
Mine did this as well, turn the OA off BYPASS at altitude, the sensors are too sensitive and react to light ghosting. The M3 thinks it is seeing something and is climbing to avoid it.

Reactions: bkushner
I have had everything from a Phantom 3 Pro to an Inspire and have never seen this. But I just got the Mavic 3 and when flying forward it ascends on its own. Even at 200+ feet and will hit the maximum altitude without in ascending yoke input. Is this because of the ability of the M3 to see further when in Bypass mode? Confused. Any idea. I have calibrated the controller and IMU but its raining here now and have not been able to test.
Drone is flawed. watch video...

I have had everything from a Phantom 3 Pro to an Inspire and have never seen this. But I just got the Mavic 3 and when flying forward it ascends on its own. Even at 200+ feet and will hit the maximum altitude without in ascending yoke input. Is this because of the ability of the M3 to see further when in Bypass mode? Confused. Any idea. I have calibrated the controller and IMU but its raining here now and have not been able to test.
I have started experiencing very similar issues, except my Mavic 3 gains height when flying backwards, in a flat open field with no trees, obstacles etc. Only when flying back in Normal mode. In Cine or Sports, everything is OK.
Did you find a cure?
Regards..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato