DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Ascending when flying forward.

I experienced the same ascending behavior when flying around two large commercial buildings for cardinal photos. I have done this 100+ times with the P4P, and I want all the photos to be from the same altitude. So I was flying more sideways in a semi-orbit pattern.

All of these photos should have been at the same altitude. Several times I noticed altitude had increased and descended, but never gave any input to ascend.

1637045200348.png

ThumbnailFlight timeAltitudeGimbal PitchGimbal HeadingType
A01m 38s152.2 ft19.8° down116°Photo
B01m 59s153.9 ft19.8° down86°Photo
C02m 19s160.8 ft19.8° down63°Photo
D02m 39s162.1 ft19.8° down52°Photo
E03m 05s164.7 ft19.8° down27°Photo
F03m 50s171.3 ft19.8° down356°Photo
G04m 18s179.1 ft19.8° down326°Photo
H04m 37s180.8 ft19.8° down312°Photo
I05m 08s183.4 ft19.8° down267°Photo
J05m 24s184.4 ft19.8° down237°Photo
K05m 34s185.4 ft19.8° down226°Photo
L06m 01s186.0 ft19.8° down208°Photo
M06m 16s187.7 ft19.8° down177°Photo
N06m 38s189.6 ft19.8° down145°Photo
O06m 48s190.0 ft19.8° down137°Photo
P07m 03s191.3 ft19.8° down122°Photo
Q07m 30s194.9 ft19.8° down86°Photo
R08m 23s131.2 ft19.8° down28°Photo
S08m 50s133.9 ft19.8° down356°Photo
T09m 11s135.8 ft19.8° down323°Photo
U09m 50s138.8 ft19.8° down315°Photo
V09m 57s138.4 ft19.8° down299°Photo
W10m 33s161.1 ft19.8° down356°Photo
X10m 53s148.0 ft19.8° down355°Photo
Y11m 33s141.4 ft19.8° down265°Photo
Z11m 59s143.7 ft19.8° down234°Photo
a12m 10s143.7 ft19.8° down298°Photo
b12m 48s159.4 ft19.8° down176°Photo
c13m 09s191.9 ft19.8° down177°Photo
d13m 42s167.0 ft19.8° down176°Photo
e13m 55s168.0 ft19.8° down176°Photo
f14m 21s168.0 ft19.8° down129°Photo
g14m 29s168.0 ft19.8° down129°Photo
h14m 53s170.6 ft19.8° down85°Photo
i15m 22s173.2 ft19.8° down27°Photo

Got M3 Fly More Sunday.. SAME Behavior Yesterday and today while flying in a slow arc to the right at least twice I was caught off guard when our friendly voice states a "the drone is at maximum altitude" Huh? I thought I must have had some forward pressure on the stick (even though I have a Mini 2 and Air 2 with the same controller) So I tested flying straight forward without touching the left stick... Same behavior. When it happened 2 more times tonight at dusk, I turned OA to Brake instead of Bypass. Seemed better. Landed, Did compass calibration, RC calibration, IMU calibration. Gimbal Calibration (because why not) Behavior better but I'm not convinced it's fixed.. Between that and some **** squirrelly jerking around when launching near obstacles... my car, near a fence, near a post. It appears obstacle avoidance needs a fair amount of refining. Some would say turn it off when near stuff. Fair enough, but I can launch my Air 2 and Evo 2 Pro right next to stuff and they are stable. What is disturbing it it jaunts TOWARD the obstacle when it jumps around. I understand it being shocked and jumping "Yah! I didn't see you there! You frightened me!" But jigging toward the obstacle then jumping a foot in .2 seconds frightens ME. 1. Hope they get this figured out and 2. It would be nice to get confirmation that DJI is aware of this and working the issue. 🤔 Same with the uncommanded altitude climbing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Point Zero
Maybe barometer sensor is affected when flying at speed?
The barometric sensor isn't affected by flying at speed.
If it was everyone would have noticed that long ago.

For all of these queries, the first thing to do to understand what's happening and what the cause might be, it to post your flight data.
Otherwise all anyone can do is guess.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Will do. Also curious about negative altitude readings. A YouTuber was complaining about it, and so I started watching my numbers. Happened while landing, height number went a few feet negative, drone was under 50 feet and landing. When I saw it I paused or stopped (don't recall if it was landing autonomously or manually) A small ascent corrected it. Probably something that can be addressed in firmware. I would not expect defective barometer unless reports are widespread, but we shall see. Not super worried about it. There will be fixes. All part of a huge, real world shakedown. I did get a defective cover (strap is ripping) and some bent props - but I'm not thinking defective components. Not yet. If that becomes the case there's a thing called warranty. I'll upload flight logs tomorrow.

I registered just to chime in and say the same thing about gaining altitude. I was hands off on the left stick in Mode 2 and would still gain altitude. I went from ~200 to just under 400ft and it really caught me off guard. Very dangerous! It's not 100% repeatable but the altitude is all over the place when flying right stick forward. I submitted a ticket to DJI and hope they respond as it needs to be resolved ASAP.

I registered just to chime in and say the same thing about gaining altitude. I was hands off on the left stick in Mode 2 and would still gain altitude. I went from ~200 to just under 400ft and it really caught me off guard. Very dangerous! It's not 100% repeatable but the altitude is all over the place when flying right stick forward. I submitted a ticket to DJI and hope they respond as it needs to be resolved ASAP.
Thanks for affirmation that this behavior is happening to quite a few M3 owners. It is unsafe, and it is concerning. The fact that it is intermittent is more worrisome than if it were consistent, since it is obviously not working as designed, or if it IS by design, its not doing that consistently. Either way a fix or confirmation that DJI is aware of it and addressing it. It SEEMS to have a possible connection to APAS 5.0, but even that is hard to verify since... it is intermittent. The most difficult bugs to rectify. Please report in of additional information becomes available.

Reactions: Desert Drone Works
I have the same problem with my M3. Sometimes while flying at sport mode full speed low to the ground it went up to 100FT in altitude without touching the elevator. I will try to find the DJI Log, but this happened a few times already.

Thanks for affirmation that this behavior is happening to quite a few M3 owners. It is unsafe, and it is concerning. The fact that it is intermittent is more worrisome than if it were consistent, since it is obviously not working as designed, or if it IS by design, its not doing that consistently. Either way a fix or confirmation that DJI is aware of it and addressing it. It SEEMS to have a possible connection to APAS 5.0, but even that is hard to verify since... it is intermittent. The most difficult bugs to rectify. Please report in of additional information becomes available.
About the reply I was expecting from DJI:

"
Dear Jason,

Thanks for contacting DJI Technical Support.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

We got the problem and will do our best to assist you.

In this case, it is recommended you refresh the firmware of the drone and remote with DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series) on PC.

This video is kindly for your reference: from 0:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am9P6-7GBks

Then calibrate the gimbal and remote controller again.

If still doesn't work, kindly let us know your location, it is recommended you send it back to us for inspection.

Your patience and understanding are very much appreciated.

You are always welcome to come back to us if there is any further question.

Best Regards,
Rae
DJI Technical Support
"

The classic reflash your firmware and let me know if it persists response. I guess I'll give it a go tomorrow.

About the reply I was expecting from DJI: ...
The classic reflash your firmware and let me know if it persists response. I guess I'll give it a go tomorrow.
You got that right.
Suggesting to refresh firmware suggests they have no idea.
It's unlikely to make any difference.

Did you submit flight data for them to check?

You got that right.
Suggesting to refresh firmware suggests they have no idea.
It's unlikely to make any difference.

Did you submit flight data for them to check?
No and they didnt even ask which is odd. To be fair, I didn't think to send it either. Refreshing the firmware now and going to take it for a spin this afternoon. Maybe I'll get lucky. I really don't want to send this back.

No and they didnt even ask which is odd. To be fair, I didn't think to send it either. Refreshing the firmware now and going to take it for a spin this afternoon. Maybe I'll get lucky. I really don't want to send this back.
If they haven't looked at data, they have no idea and the suggestion to reload firmware is just wasting your time.

Reactions: Desert Drone Works
Well this thread concerns me. I thought I had a anomaly. Now it looks like many are having issues. I'm getting the rise and lowering while flying in a straight line and I'm also getting negative altitude like this image shows, -110 feet on landing.
Here's my log

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-17 135118.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-11-17 135118.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 5
Well this thread concerns me. I thought I had a anomaly. Now it looks like many are having issues. I'm getting the rise and lowering while flying in a straight line and I'm also getting negative altitude like this image shows, -110 feet on landing.
Your data confirms a real issue that probably requires replacement.
Whether or not others on this thread also have a genuine issue hasn't been confirmed with data.

Well, I must say... no issues since reflashing the firmware to the Mavic 3. I'm not going to say it's fixed yet, but had no signs of my issue after almost 2 hours of flight today. Will follow up if that changes.

For all of these queries, the first thing to do to understand what's happening and what the cause might be, it to post your flight data.

Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
@Meta4 I'm really sorry to bother you with this. But my new Mavic 3 just doesn't fly smoothly and I can't make smooth movements with it. My Mavic 2 Pro was an absolute dream ... buttery smooth movements, I always filmed "manually" and got me longer control sticks to be able to perform more precise movements. What I mean by that: I have some flying experience and I don't know what's going wrong with the new drone. @Meta4 or @msinger maybe you could you please help me understand?

After I have recalibrated imu, compass and remote control and also refreshed the firmware with the dji flight assistant on the Mac (what probably helped in the post before), I carried out another test flight a couple of hours ago.

In the DJI Flight Log Viewer (DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com), instead of a gentle curve in the flight path, you can now and then see a spike... or a sharp corner instead of a curve. For example at 4m 14.7s you can see it quite clearly. From 4m 57.3s onwards I simply carried out a forwards and backwards flight to test it. I noticed here that the drone does not slow down softly, even if I take the stick back very slowly, but that it performs sudden braking maneuvers, as if I was flipping the left control stick up and down. The drone does indeed shake and you see it in the virtual horizon.

I think that you can only really understand the flight behavior if you stretch the time a bit ... or take a closer look at the control commands in relation to the movements of the drone.

Maybe someone of the tech and flight record masters could help me again this time? I cannot thank you enough in advance.

— edit: some more thoughts …
I think the only problem is the deceleration behavior of my AC and only after moving forwards or backwards. Sideways is okay and It decelerates normally to stop flying sideways. The way I understand the APAS 5.0 system at the moment, the drone also brakes automatically as soon as I turn (yaw - but I hope they change that behavior or give us an option to allow drifting like on the Air2s APAS). So also when decelerating on yaw movement, the AC acts a little crazy and does exaggerated movements or multiple movements to brake instead of just doing one pitch movement to stop flying into that direction.

— @moderators: should I start a new thread with this? I’m sorry for posting my problem that is not really connected to this thread‘s title / topic

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2021-11-20_[10-58-46].txt
    798.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Flight log: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

. @Meta4 or @msinger maybe you could you please help me understand?
@moderators: should I start a new thread with this? I’m sorry for posting my problem that is not really connected to this thread‘s title / topic

And there is @slup and @sar104 that could look also . . .

I think it's great to have a few flight logs here now in recent posts above, so comparisons are easy to make.

Will be interesting to see some of the analysis views on these.

It's a shame there are similar comments coming through about the flight characteristics of the M3.
If DJI rushed it out before it flies right, it'll be a big let down for consumers after the M2 range.

Well, my M3 shipping has been delayed due to label issues with FedEx. Since reading about various "glitches", I'm kinda getting cold feet. I don't think I will even open the box for a bit just to see how/if things begin to pan out and DJI addresses/corrects these problems. A sealed box should be easier to return if I decide that is my course of action. It's a darn shame though :(

Short Update on my case: I had another chat with DJI Support and will send it in for repair / exchange. During our chat, the employee mentioned that maybe the rear arms could be the problem on my aircraft. Maybe the joints are a bit too loose. On the first flight I actually noticed that the two rear motors vibrate in a horizontal axis ... so maybe the rear arm joints are simply too loose and lead to vibrating motors and multiple braking pitches instead of one smooth and controlled pitch.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy