DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 ATTI Hack?

I was suggesting that Cruise Control adds some of the function that Litchi does, but it's nothing like Atti Mode.

I use it for videoing but more often, I use it to hitch a high speed ride on a tailwind when convenient.

Atti isn't something you can use as a rescue mode if GPS was to fail (GPS doesn't fail.)
Atti Mode is all you have left on any drone if GPS was to fail.
You seems to be arguing for a sake of arguing. I said if "GPS lock fails"(on the drone), not if GPS fail, I know that GPS satelites do not fail! Anyway, we will have to agree to disagree on this Atti vs. Cruise Control discussion. It is becoming counterproductive.
If you have a drone which does not have Cruise Control, Atti is great for what you are using it. Once you start using this new feature on M3 I am pretty sure that most of what you were using Atti for can be achieved with it, and that was all I was really trying to say here.
Happy flying!!

Once you start using this new feature on M3 I am pretty sure that most of what you were using Atti for can be achieved with it, and that was all I was really trying to say here.
It seems that you don't understand what Atti Mode is and does.
It's hard to see how you believe that Cruise Control is similar.

It seems that you don't understand what Atti Mode is and does.
It's hard to see how you believe that Cruise Control is similar.
I do understand exactly what Atti mode is and what it does. I started building drones with Naza M and flew in full Manual or Atti. Back then I only used P mode when taking stills to lock the drone in position for a short moment then flicked it to Atti and flew it to a new position. For shooting video I mostly flew in Atti. The Cruise Control is a game changer though and I can easily see how it can replace the Atti mode in most situations. But to each his own.

Last edited:
Note upfront: I've never used this new M3 Cruise Control.

However, from what I gather, I would still prefer full ATTI control. This is why (apologies if anybody already made this point and I missed it): Cruise Control is not the first or only automated program that promises to fly a straight line. This time, it will take bearing and x/y stick position and maintain them until canceled. Sounds good.

But it's still GPS locked on course, so what happens when a stiff wind hits it is that it will attempt to maintain that direction, compass orientation, speed, etc. This is where the jitter starts.

You might say "that same stiff wind will hit the AC in ATTI as well" and that's true, but there are degrees of air movement between "dead calm" and "stiff wind". To wit, you will always have drift in ATTI, which is the attraction for smooth video. A sudden gust would upset that, true, but smaller variations in wind speed are typically pretty gentle and the drifting can still be fairly smooth.

As Filmaik points out, if we never gain SDK access to the f-switches for ATTI in the M3, then at least we have Cruise Control. But I would still prefer full ATTI (then there are the other reasons for ATTI beyond smooth video drift).

Chris

However, from what I gather, I would still prefer full ATTI control. This is why (apologies if anybody already made this point and I missed it): Cruise Control is not the first or only automated program that promises to fly a straight line. This time, it will take bearing and x/y stick position and maintain them until canceled. Sounds good.

But it's still GPS locked on course, so what happens when a stiff wind hits it is that it will attempt to maintain that direction, compass orientation, speed, etc. This is where the jitter starts.

You might say "that same stiff wind will hit the AC in ATTI as well" and that's true, but there are degrees of air movement between "dead calm" and "stiff wind". To wit, you will always have drift in ATTI, which is the attraction for smooth video. A sudden gust would upset that, true, but smaller variations in wind speed are typically pretty gentle and the drifting can still be fairly smooth.

As Filmaik points out, if we never gain SDK access to the f-switches for ATTI in the M3, then at least we have Cruise Control. But I would still prefer full ATTI (then there are the other reasons for ATTI beyond smooth video drift).

Chris
Nothing is perfect and Atti is not either. The biggest advantage of Atti to me was that I was in full control of the drone independent of GPS connection.
At least with this Cruise Control the M3 now continues to fly smoothly in any direction by simply pressing the Cruise Control button. To me, it is a great feature to have. I know it is not Atti but for what I used Atti mostly when shooting videos (drifting/gliding) this is as good as its gets.

Last edited:

Point of clarification: As you point out, Cruise Control locks ALL the existing stick inputs without needing to keep your fingers on them. However, unlike course lock, flying in a straight line is not its only "promise." It can also be used fly orbits and circles and corkscrews because all the current stick inputs are locked.

There’s a few reasons that I prefer ATTI over GPS mode:
1. To maintain my Professional Pilots Certification I have to be able to fly ATTI during the annual flight test;
2. I film a lot of fast moving bikes, boats and cars. Flying in ATTI allows me to get much smoother motions, plus GPS is actually dangerous when flying as close to my subject as I often do, because if I get it wrong in GPS the drone screams to a halt and can cause a collision where as in ATTI it will continue moving.
3. Landing on a moving boat in GPS is a nightmare. With ATTI I can just drift the UAV to me and hand-catch.

I love the Mavic form factor, that’s why I moved away from the Inspire range, so I’d really like to be able to stay with Mavic.
Agreed. It's essential to learn how to fly ATTI, even if you're just flying for recreation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan