DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Mavic 3 Caught in a strong wind Gust : Fly away

I would have and have lowered my drone below the trees and house roofs and just flown using the camera. Sorry, but for me, in that situation, VLOS would be thrown out the window. I would have flown as low as I could using the trees and houses to blocked the wind gust's laminar flow and created a more turbulent, lower speed, less directional airflow. I also would have started in sport mode from the beginning of the flight.
Why do I say this? Because that's what I have done on several occasions. I used the trees and my neighbors houses to block the drone from the wind. Even though I can't see the drone, the camera guided me just as well. And with the wind speed slowing down and the wind direction no longer being linear, the drone had no problems getting back to me. I also wouldn't have tried landing in a contained area like a second story patio. I would have went straight to a nearby safe clearing or my driveway and landed. Then walked to the drone to pick it up.
I believe if he immediately found a safe space to lower his altitude below the trees and his roof line, the wind would have been significantly reduced allowing him to travel home.

This "rescue jacket" looks like a windsock to me. That can't help in the wind at all.
That is why we test and test and test , to make sure it has the ability to capture the wind and fly with it.
So Far the M3 is bar none an excellent match. Streamline design and low center of gravity is fantastic.

Today we landed on the lake a Dozen times in 15 mph winds , I will be posting the video soon. Very excited.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 in the Rain. Land on the Water and Light up the sky.

I would have and have lowered my drone below the trees and house roofs and just flown using the camera. Sorry, but for me, in that situation, VLOS would be thrown out the window. I would have flown as low as I could using the trees and houses to blocked the wind gust's laminar flow and created a more turbulent, lower speed, less directional airflow. I also would have started in sport mode from the beginning of the flight.
Why do I say this? Because that's what I have done on several occasions. I used the trees and my neighbors houses to block the drone from the wind. Even though I can't see the drone, the camera guided me just as well. And with the wind speed slowing down and the wind direction no longer being linear, the drone had no problems getting back to me. I also wouldn't have tried landing in a contained area like a second story patio. I would have went straight to a nearby safe clearing or my driveway and landed. Then walked to the drone to pick it up.
I believe if he immediately found a safe space to lower his altitude below the trees and his roof line, the wind would have been significantly reduced allowing him to travel home.
Nope : I started off at about 4 ft above the deck and the gust took me straight up and out . Starting in Sport mode was not the Test > lol A cinematic stroll down the river was the test out to the lake front.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain. Land on the Water and Light up the sky. Phantomrain.org

That is why we test and test and test , to make sure it has the ability to capture the wind and fly with it.
So Far the M3 is bar none an excellent match. Streamline design and low center of gravity is fantastic.

Today we landed on the lake a Dozen times in 15 mph winds , I will be posting the video soon. Very excited.

Phantomrain.org
I get it now... this was an advertisement!

Phantomrain.org
Does water not get into that front air vent on the M3? You can't cover that, can you?

Nope : I started off at about 4 ft above the deck and the gust took me straight up and out . Starting in Sport mode was not the Test > lol A cinematic stroll down the river was the test out to the lake front.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain. Land on the Water and Light up the sky. Phantomrain.org
I've noticed something interesting about the Mavic 3. I don't know if this was happening in your case, but I often start a flight about 50ft above my neighbors houses until I'm out into the nearby field. But, when in Normal mode, the obstacle sensors cause my drone to increase it's altitude without any input from me, even though there is no chance it's about to hit anything. I'm not saying your drone went up because of this M3 quirk I have noticed, but it's something to think about. On a normal day, try starting a flight about 30-50 ft over a neighborhood with the obstacle sensors on. See if the drone gains altitude. If you try this, let me know, if not no worries. Be safe.

You're a braver man than I, Gunga Din.
I think given that circumstance my first reaction would be to point the gimbal down and find a landing spot and get it down so I could take a hike and retrieve my $3000 drone if needed. After that I think I might try getting it closer with near ground level flight with IFR if I couldn't spot it down low.

I have to wonder how much that bigger lens area on the front becomes more of a "sail" that can get pushed around a lot easier than the more slender front ends of the M2 and A2? That's a whole lot of flat surface area the DJI put on there, right out in front, sort of like the windshield of a Peterbuilt.

Does water not get into that front air vent on the M3? You can't cover that, can you?

I've noticed something interesting about the Mavic 3. I don't know if this was happening in your case, but I often start a flight about 50ft above my neighbors houses until I'm out into the nearby field. But, when in Normal mode, the obstacle sensors cause my drone to increase it's altitude without any input from me, even though there is no chance it's about to hit anything. I'm not saying your drone went up because of this M3 quirk I have noticed, but it's something to think about. On a normal day, try starting a flight about 30-50 ft over a neighborhood with the obstacle sensors on. See if the drone gains altitude. If you try this, let me know, if not no worries. Be safe.
Not sure what vent you are talking about , the top vent ? The top one is not real. The side vents are redirected.
As far as alt increase , I have experienced the same today but not over the water. and I flew a lot over the water about 2 ft away and all was good.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain

Last edited:
This "rescue jacket" looks like a windsock to me. That can't help in the wind at all.
Increasing the surface area of the drone can only make things worse when dealing with wind.

Prepared for a cinematic run down the river in 35 mph winds to test the camera ,
A huge gust of wind came and took the drone backwards almost 2000 ft .

I wanted to wait till the gust died before entering sport mode and was just barely able to make it back
as the winds got stronger.

Not all Gusts are the same. lol That was nuts.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 in the Rain > Land on the water
View attachment 140340

Holy Canole, Dude. That would have made me go for therapy for a bit. Sheeesh. Nice save.

Have you ever seen any of Coals Vids on Vimeo or YouTube? I fly in storms off Long Island and I take my tips from him. But one singer one song. To each his own. Etc. Besides I don’t think he’s actually human.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+