DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 destroyed by bird - DJI Refresh 2 year plan question.

The propellers don't really cut much, because they don't have much mass.
I think that very much depends on the drone.
I can vouch that P3 props DO cut, a mate sliced the inner face of his forearm with one and they lifted the skin as flaps. I have scar lines on one side of my forehead due to a momentary lapse in concentration with a hand held P3, I consider that a very lucky escape.

Folding props may be less dangerous since they may fold but I can also vouch for the fact that they hurt and may bruise.
I made a reflexive grab for a Mavic Mini that was misbehaving and put my fingers into the props. They didn't cut and I can't remember if they bruised but one or more fingers tingled, like weak pins and needles, for quite some time afterwards.
I haven't taking a direct strike from an M2P/Z prop but I have had glancing blows from them, once and only once, due to poor finger position during a hand catch, they hurt and left a bruise.
I wouldn't like to try a proper flight rpm tip strike from a either a M2P/Z or an M3.

I must admit I do wonder what falconers do you protect the birds they use to bring down drones.

I think that very much depends on the drone.
I can vouch that P3 props DO cut, a mate sliced the inner face of his forearm with one and they lifted the skin as flaps. I have scar lines on one side of my forehead due to a momentary lapse in concentration with a hand held P3, I consider that a very lucky escape.

Folding props may be less dangerous since they may fold but I can also vouch for the fact that they hurt and may bruise.
I made a reflexive grab for a Mavic Mini that was misbehaving and put my fingers into the props. They didn't cut and I can't remember if they bruised but one or more fingers tingled, like weak pins and needles, for quite some time afterwards.
I haven't taking a direct strike from an M2P/Z prop but I have had glancing blows from them, once and only once, due to poor finger position during a hand catch, they hurt and left a bruise.
I wouldn't like to try a proper flight rpm tip strike from a either a M2P/Z or an M3.

I must admit I do wonder what falconers do you protect the birds they use to bring down drones.
The birds know to attack from the bottom, twist it to IMU disable the props, and retrieve it to the handler. No worry of prop injuries for the bird.

Please see my thread post on this forum:

Birds trained to in-flight attack, disable, retrieve and deliver drones to its handler.​

Oh yes true no one doubts how savage a bird is protecting its nest. Just think those talons could go right through our arm nevermind crushing prey mammal skulls and bones. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near one even in a full protective suit. We were at a Bass Pro birds of prey exhibit thing years ago and she let a giant owl sit on my arm on top of this thick leather drape thing. It really was a crushing hold and the bird was just sitting relaxing.
A Mavic chassis was an easy prey unfortunately.
Best wishes for safe flying with a new M3.
I have a friend that is a rehabilitator for raptors out West, mostly Eagles. He had launched a drone over a mile from a nest thinking he was far enough that it would be safe. The Eagle spotted it, attacked it and crushed his drone. Most states have a register showing where know Eagle nests are in the state. When out in the wild, it is a wise thing to check just so you know that dangers in the area.

Surprised that the bird didn't get cut by the spinning propellers. Those edges are sharp.

Maybe there were local rules prohibiting drone flights because of certain birds or other wildlife nearby?
Birds feet and legs are very thick and far stronger than humans. No, their were not restrictions. There are birds everywhere you go especially in nature.

Reactions: Torque
I have a friend that is a rehabilitator for raptors out West, mostly Eagles. He had launched a drone over a mile from a nest thinking he was far enough that it would be safe. The Eagle spotted it, attacked it and crushed his drone. Most states have a register showing where know Eagle nests are in the state. When out in the wild, it is a wise thing to check just so you know that dangers in the area.
Nothing in the registries in the area I was flying. Already checked.

To the OP - glad you are getting an express (premium service) replacement. You probably are aware, but just wanted to mention that in addition to the "hold" on your credit card, you will have to pay the replacement cost of $159USD for your first replacement. That cost increases for the 2nd and 3rd replacements under Care Refresh 2-year plan (see attachment below).

Good luck for your future flights!
Yeah, I'm aware. It's unfortunate to have to pay a fee on top of the premium paid in the beginning, but that's insurance for ya!

Glad I splurged on it from the get go.

I responded in the Youtube comments that I think that was a peregrine falcon. I had one attack my drone in Washington state, which I narrowly avoided. Same swept-back wings and flappy pursuit. They are super territorial and if I see one before launching my drone I will not fly. If I am flying around cliffs (their habitat), I take caution.

Sorry about the drone, OP, but I do think the Care Refresh applies to your loss.

Last edited:
If you care about nature, and we all should, then stay well clear of birds, in particular raptors. I imagine the props can inflict serious injuries to the bird and as a result will die a slow agonizing death. Injured birds usually get rejected by the mates and often can’t feed themselves. It would take a lot more skill than most of us have to out maneuver a raptor. Just retreat and land your drone until they go away or if your near a nesting area, move away and fly somewhere else.

N

Hey all,
This is my first "offical thread" I have started. I apologize if it's in the wrong place. If it is, please advise on how I should move it!

I am in need of some advise from someone with experience dealing with DJI and having their drone replaced. I have DJI TWO YEAR warranty coverage and a Mavic 3 drone.
Before I submit my claim, I wanted to post here.

I was camping with the fam and decided to take some photos of the fall leaves with my drone.

I got maybe 200 feet up and a good size hawk swooped in and literally destroyed my drone! It tore it apart. Two drone arms ripped off, still attached by the parachute chords, the gimble was ripped out, hanging by wires, and the bird some how managed to take my battery out my Mavic three and carry it off! I watched helplessly as my drone plummeted to the ground.

Question for anyone that knows...

When I bought the drone, I purchased DJI's refresh plan for two years. DJI's refresh plan CLAIMS to cover two hassle free replacements. Comprehensive coverage, collision damage, water damage, 2 fly away, accidents, etc., all covered.

I was NOT FLYING irrationally and had the drone in site at all times. My wife and my two teenage kids whitenessed it!

What's not clear and why I am asking here...Does anyone know if DJI will actually cover my drone due to a a bird collision? At first glance at their website and fine print, it seems to me this would be covered, under "accident" and "collision." The fine print does not specify birds thought.

Any advise from anyone with experience as to the exact wording I should choose to use when I make my claim with DJI?

Should I mention it was a collision with a bird? Unfortunately I had just got done taking two photos and about to press record in 4k 60fps, before the bird swooped in out of know where. Unfortunately I don't have video footage sadly, as I would of at least had that!:)

Any advise from experience would be helpful!

I just need to make sure DJI replaces my drone without a problem. It's going to need to be totally replaced!

Anyone know what I should say and should not say based off of experience? I'd be grateful to know so this process is as smooth as possible.

Many thanks!
Scary stuff. I have heard that you should hit sport mode and go straight up. Birds can be scared because it's unusual and they can't go straight up.

Reactions: LoudThunder
A bit far fetched I think?
I concur, I do not think it will become much of a thing… I have watched numerous videos of Raptors taking out a Drone, but not one ever carrying one off… If a Raptor takes on a Drone, it is more of a territorial fight or the drone is perceived as a threat, not a meal…

Now, with that being said, I do not doubt that someone who has a Raptor is going to have enough Drones around to train it and even then, I do not imagine I will see someone hunting Drones with their Raptor at the city park and if they are going to lie in wait for a lonely Drone to pass by in the wilds, it will be a long and lonely wait…

eagle.gif

Scary stuff. I have heard that you should hit sport mode and go straight up. Birds can be scared because it's unusual and they can't go straight up.
Flying straight up in Sport Mode certainly doesn't scare the birds, but it does make it impossible for them to follow, as they cannot fly straight up, and it gives you an opportunity to fly away and out of their territory, where they no longer perceive your drone as a threat, and won't follow. Peregrine falcons can attack from above at up to 200 mph!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada