DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 destroyed by bird - DJI Refresh 2 year plan question.

FlySkyJumper

Reactions
Mavic 3 attacked by relentless Bald Eagle!. We danced in the sky as he swooped and I rocketed the drone up and down in an attempt to lose him. Finally landed with only a nicked propeller…my heart can start beating again.
N

Hey all,
This is my first "offical thread" I have started. I apologize if it's in the wrong place. If it is, please advise on how I should move it!

I am in need of some advise from someone with experience dealing with DJI and having their drone replaced. I have DJI TWO YEAR warranty coverage and a Mavic 3 drone.
Before I submit my claim, I wanted to post here.

I was camping with the fam and decided to take some photos of the fall leaves with my drone.

I got maybe 200 feet up and a good size hawk swooped in and literally destroyed my drone! It tore it apart. Two drone arms ripped off, still attached by the parachute chords, the gimble was ripped out, hanging by wires, and the bird some how managed to take my battery out my Mavic three and carry it off! I watched helplessly as my drone plummeted to the ground.

Question for anyone that knows...

When I bought the drone, I purchased DJI's refresh plan for two years. DJI's refresh plan CLAIMS to cover two hassle free replacements. Comprehensive coverage, collision damage, water damage, 2 fly away, accidents, etc., all covered.

I was NOT FLYING irrationally and had the drone in site at all times. My wife and my two teenage kids whitenessed it!

What's not clear and why I am asking here...Does anyone know if DJI will actually cover my drone due to a a bird collision? At first glance at their website and fine print, it seems to me this would be covered, under "accident" and "collision." The fine print does not specify birds thought.

Any advise from anyone with experience as to the exact wording I should choose to use when I make my claim with DJI?

Should I mention it was a collision with a bird? Unfortunately I had just got done taking two photos and about to press record in 4k 60fps, before the bird swooped in out of know where. Unfortunately I don't have video footage sadly, as I would of at least had that!:)

Any advise from experience would be helpful!

I just need to make sure DJI replaces my drone without a problem. It's going to need to be totally replaced!

Anyone know what I should say and should not say based off of experience? I'd be grateful to know so this process is as smooth as possible.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20221015_225523739~2.jpg
    PXL_20221015_225523739~2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 188
Reactions: Torque and Amichael
I also replied to the other post -
Go to the support site and start a Care Refresh case. I just went through this. From sending it off to receiving my brand new 2S took one week. They e-mail you the UPS label, bind the new drone to your account, all in a timely manner. Just follow their directions exactly and you will have zero problems. Make sure to remove your micro sd card and or download all your pictures from the drone.

Sorry to see that damage. I hope DJI has you flying very soon. I have been chased by a few birds. We can’t see their nests or territorial boundaries if that is what they are protecting.

Just a question aside the Care Refresh, to hope to avoid this myself.
The bird did all this damage in the sky, then dropped the M3 from the air, after removing the battery and flying away with it?

Sorry to see that damage. I hope DJI has you flying very soon. I have been chased by a few birds. We can’t see their nests or territorial boundaries if that is what they are protecting.

Just a question aside the Care Refresh, to hope to avoid this myself.
The bird did all this damage in the sky, then dropped the M3 from the air, after removing the battery and flying away with it?
Yeah, my wife into animals/birds. It was a hawk and I was clearly around a nest and in it's territory without knowing at all!

YES, NOT KIDDING. In fact, I WISH I had it recorded with my cell phone, but I was in too much shock. I know it sounds unbelievable, but that's exactly what happened. Total destruction. I literally flew off with my battery! You can see where the Tallons went into the drone itself, wrenched the prop out in the back of the drone the battery popped out, and the bird snagged it and flew off!

Reactions: Cliff Cole
I also replied to the other post -
Go to the support site and start a Care Refresh case. I just went through this. From sending it off to receiving my brand new 2S took one week. They e-mail you the UPS label, bind the new drone to your account, all in a timely manner. Just follow their directions exactly and you will have zero problems. Make sure to remove your micro sd card and or download all your pictures from the drone.
Great news...
For the bad wrap, DJI gets for customer service, I am actually 100% impressed. Almost baffled. I simply started a chat after logging into my account. I gave a brief description of the problem. My plan includes "expedited covered" Within 5 minutes, the agent online filled out the claim form for me after I supplied them with my drone's serial number.
They are sending me a brand-new drone! I asked if it covers the battery and they said, "YES! " Also includes the propellers.

The only caveat is for the expedited coverage is they put a hold on my credit card for the cost of the drone just in case I don't return the current one I have. Fine by me!

I'm just relieved, but still in shock at my service experience.

Yeah, my wife into animals/birds. It was a hawk and I was clearly around a nest and in it's territory without knowing at all!

YES, NOT KIDDING. In fact, I WISH I had it recorded with my cell phone, but I was in too much shock. I know it sounds unbelievable, but that's exactly what happened. Total destruction. I literally flew off with my battery! You can see where the Tallons went into the drone itself, wrenched the prop out in the back of the drone the battery popped out, and the bird snagged it and flew off!
Oh yes true no one doubts how savage a bird is protecting its nest. Just think those talons could go right through our arm nevermind crushing prey mammal skulls and bones. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near one even in a full protective suit. We were at a Bass Pro birds of prey exhibit thing years ago and she let a giant owl sit on my arm on top of this thick leather drape thing. It really was a crushing hold and the bird was just sitting relaxing.
A Mavic chassis was an easy prey unfortunately.
Best wishes for safe flying with a new M3.

Reactions: FlySkyJumper
Oh yes true no one doubts how savage a bird is protecting its nest. Just think those talons could go right through our arm nevermind crushing prey mammal skulls and bones. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near one even in a full protective suit. We were at a Bass Pro birds of prey exhibit thing years ago and she let a giant owl sit on my arm on top of this thick leather drape thing. It really was a crushing hold and the bird was just sitting relaxing.
A Mavic chassis was an easy prey unfortunately.
Best wishes for safe flying with a new M3.
Yeah, it was pretty wild! Still wish I had video footage of it!

Does anyone know if DJI will actually cover my drone due to a a bird collision?
I now see that you have already started the claim but I had typed this before I saw that.

Last time I looked Care-refresh was, with the provisos shown below, applicable to ANY significant? damage 'irrespective' of the cause but providing
1) that the damage was not deliberately caused, and
2) the drone or signifcant bits of it where returned to DJI.

If that remains the case then the root cause, a bird attack, is irrelevant.
Personally I would say what happened, they may ask you for the logs and the logs will most likely show violent and inexplicable movements during the attack until the battery was disconnected.

Also, and again the last time I looked, which was pre flyaway coverage, 3 replacements were available under the two year plan, I think two were permitted in the first year and one in the second year. It might be worth checking to see if that is still the case.

Yeah, it was pretty wild! Still wish I had video footage of it!
You do have the profile flight logs still in your phone that show speed and altitude at impact point, and some g-action and IMU stuff until the craft lost power. Shows on the map overlay exactly where it hapoened. The playback shows the classic blue line and you could see telemetry data the speed, altitude and such numbers moving around until it lost power. DJI uses those to reconstruct failures and stuff. Can see the exact second of impact, speed up and down and more. Is good to have that playback you can watch. Certainly a not-so-cool story to show and tell later!
I hope that stolen toxic Lipo wasn’t taken to a nest. Some crushing and damage and it will easily start a serious fire for the nest and more. Lying in the open forest or desert it is still dangerous.

Anyone know what I should say and should not say based off of experience? I'd be grateful to know so this process is as smooth as possible.
Here is the DJI Care Refresh Replacement Policy.

care.png
Many Moons ago, I was flying my Mini 2 in a Right Roll (crab flying to the right) and videotaping a long line of trees along a dirt road. I did not realize the road was curing back slightly and my drone hit a branch. It fell to earth, upside down, and nothing more… The drone was several hundred feet away and I started running over to it. Well, as luck would have it, a pickup truck came down that dirt road and the driver was watching me as I ran in his direction, towards the my drone.

I tried the Find My Drone in the map and turned on the "Cry for Help", but no response. I was then still a newbie and did not yet know that I could preload the maps, so the map was really pixelated and really no help…

Well, I found my drone, it was right in the track of the dirt road, and the pickup truck drove over it. I cannot blame the driver of the truck as they were watching me and the Mini 2's beige/gray color was not that much different from the dirt and there was lots of leaves, small branches, and other debris on the road. The Drone was really flattened as well as the battery…

I contacted DJI with my story of woe and they sent me a return shipping label within an hour, I sent the drone and battery back to Fort Worth, TX. I received my NEW replacement drone and battery within 8-days.

Now, the story gets interesting. The replacement drone gave me error messages almost from the start. I contacted DJI and asked for a replacement under warranty and again, within an hour, I had a shipping label. But after they received the drone, there was a mix-up and they thought I wanted my drone repaired and sent me a No-Cost Repair check, and I told them; NO repairs, I want a new replacement and they agreed, but another misunderstanding occurred and after 10-days I still did not have a replacement drone.

I contacted them and they apologized and said they would overnight it. I asked about the care refresh and that I had lost the use of my drone for almost a month and I told them they needed to make this right. They asked what else they could do and I told them to include the Fly More Kit. They said they could not do that, so I asked for a new battery and they agreed to that and they sent me a coupon for a new battery, with free shipping from the DJI Store.

As I mentioned in an earlier posting, I checked the cost of the Care Refresh + and it says I still have one repair and one flyaway.

I've have been flying my new baby for about 8-months now and over 200-miles…

Oh, if it was not clear, I told DJI I hit a tree and the drone fell into the road and a truck ran over it and they said, "Not a problem…"

Good luck…

Reactions: FlySkyJumper
Surprised that the bird didn't get cut by the spinning propellers. Those edges are sharp.

Maybe there were local rules prohibiting drone flights because of certain birds or other wildlife nearby?

Reactions: LoudThunder
I now see that you have already started the claim but I had typed this before I saw that.

Last time I looked Care-refresh was, with the provisos shown below, applicable to ANY significant? damage 'irrespective' of the cause but providing
1) that the damage was not deliberately caused, and
2) the drone or signifcant bits of it where returned to DJI.

If that remains the case then the root cause, a bird attack, is irrelevant.
Personally I would say what happened, they may ask you for the logs and the logs will most likely show violent and inexplicable movements during the attack until the battery was disconnected.

Also, and again the last time I looked, which was pre flyaway coverage, 3 replacements were available under the two year plan, I think two were permitted in the first year and one in the second year. It might be worth checking to see if that is still the case.
Thank you for taking your time, much appreciated!

It a good idea to always be recording on your phone, in case you lose your drone you will still have video. The propellers don't really cut much, because they don't have much mass.

N

Hey all,
This is my first "offical thread" I have started. I apologize if it's in the wrong place. If it is, please advise on how I should move it!

I am in need of some advise from someone with experience dealing with DJI and having their drone replaced. I have DJI TWO YEAR warranty coverage and a Mavic 3 drone.
Before I submit my claim, I wanted to post here.

I was camping with the fam and decided to take some photos of the fall leaves with my drone.

I got maybe 200 feet up and a good size hawk swooped in and literally destroyed my drone! It tore it apart. Two drone arms ripped off, still attached by the parachute chords, the gimble was ripped out, hanging by wires, and the bird some how managed to take my battery out my Mavic three and carry it off! I watched helplessly as my drone plummeted to the ground.

Question for anyone that knows...

When I bought the drone, I purchased DJI's refresh plan for two years. DJI's refresh plan CLAIMS to cover two hassle free replacements. Comprehensive coverage, collision damage, water damage, 2 fly away, accidents, etc., all covered.

I was NOT FLYING irrationally and had the drone in site at all times. My wife and my two teenage kids whitenessed it!

What's not clear and why I am asking here...Does anyone know if DJI will actually cover my drone due to a a bird collision? At first glance at their website and fine print, it seems to me this would be covered, under "accident" and "collision." The fine print does not specify birds thought.

Any advise from anyone with experience as to the exact wording I should choose to use when I make my claim with DJI?

Should I mention it was a collision with a bird? Unfortunately I had just got done taking two photos and about to press record in 4k 60fps, before the bird swooped in out of know where. Unfortunately I don't have video footage sadly, as I would of at least had that!:)

Any advise from experience would be helpful!

I just need to make sure DJI replaces my drone without a problem. It's going to need to be totally replaced!

Many thanks!
There should be no problem with drone replacement under Care Refresh. I have had at least two replacements, one a Mavic Air 1, and one a Mavic 2 Pro. Both were new or re-furbished.They both came with all of the stickers etc.
Just make a claim using your Care Refresh number.
Dale
Miami

Submit a case I have never had a problem and used a half a dozen times over the year. You have nothing to loose..

PS put the DJI blade guards on next time they make the drone appear much larger to the bird. I have a lot of Red Tails by me and they look but don't touch (so far)

I've had to have DJI replace a Mavic 2 that crashed due to a propulsion issue with one of the motors. It was stuck in a tree and i couldn't retrieve it. DJI usually needs the damaged drone shipped to them before they will replace. Since my issue was hardware and not pilot related they replaced the drone without me sending the damaged one. I got it the next day which was a plus. I believe they will replace your drone without question. You'll just have to pay the refresh cost.

It a good idea to always be recording on your phone, in case you lose your drone you will still have video. The propellers don't really cut much, because they don't have much mass.
@ shb please see the link here.
These props weigh much more than a BB. Their rotational velocity is way faster also.
Force equals mass X velocity squared.
This child needed several stitches for his injuries caused by drone prop blades. Could have been blinded at age 1.
The “pilot” flew it right into his face. I hope he didn’t also think “they don’t really cut much, because they don’t have much mass.”

Attachments

• 12138945-D1C5-4C24-A883-12D1D3CB9D07.jpeg
    12138945-D1C5-4C24-A883-12D1D3CB9D07.jpeg
    534.5 KB · Views: 4
Just another reason I suggest Refresh to anyone buying a DJI drone. Especially new pilots, but I get it anyhow..never used but glad I did. Even without it, DJI is usually fair on replacement cost of destroyed drones and worth a try. Often cheaper than repair.

To the OP - glad you are getting an express (premium service) replacement. You probably are aware, but just wanted to mention that in addition to the "hold" on your credit card, you will have to pay the replacement cost of $159USD for your first replacement. That cost increases for the 2nd and 3rd replacements under Care Refresh 2-year plan (see attachment below).

Good luck for your future flights!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221019-112151_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221019-112151_Chrome.jpg
    795.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
@FlySkyJumper please see my thread post on this forum:

Birds trained to in-flight attack, disable, retrieve and deliver drones to its handler.​

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78