DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 domestic prices out

Does anyone have a rough guess as to the resale value of my M2 Pro, Smart Controller, 4 batteries, 2 carrying cases, multi-battery simultaneous charger, auto charger, and lots of other accessories? All in very good condition. This will help fund my inevitable purchase of the M3 Fly More bundle. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Droniac
I've said for many years that DJI has the same corporate arrogance that Apple has towards their customers. The flagship iPhone will soon cost $2.000 USD in a couple years. It looks like the price of Mavic 3 has proven me right .... AGAIN

Keep jacking up prices to exorbitant levels for minimal increase in features. Sounds like a LOSING formula --- ie, losing both net profits and loyal customers!

Sorry, DJI --- you had me as a loyal customer for 8 years but I'm officially DONE with you. Yuneec and Autel Robotics will be more than happy to get my cash from now on. Hope you're happy, greed-mongers!

My hope kinda was that there would be an offering between the Fly More and the Cine that had the SC2 included.

In all reality my Air2 does just fine for whatever I need. I was kinda eyeing the Air2S with an SC, but then rumors of this thing popped up. I guess I figured I'd just wait and spend a few bucks more to get the big daddy. Never once in my life have I ever bought something that was more than I needed and had regrets... Anyway, if they offered the Fly More + SC2 for the mid $3k range I'd be pretty happy.

They might add that later, presumably when stock catches up - they did with the M2P. Also, the current SC should work just fine with the M3 and is already available as a standalone purchase. There should be plenty of options for people, just maybe not immediately after launch due to global supply chain issues affecting everyone.

The reason the Cine is so expensive is the built in SSDs, full filter kits, etc, and unfortunately it's the only kit that comes with the SC2 at launch. If you add the existing SC to the Fly More Combo or wait until DJI sells the v2 as a standalone, you I suspect you'll be able to get exactly what you want for mid-$3K.

I love my a2 but I'm just a hobbyist those prices are way too much for me . I think if you have a drone business it's worth the money just my opinion it's a tax rite off . good luck stay safe and have fun flying

They might add that later, presumably when stock catches up - they did with the M2P. Also, the current SC should work just fine with the M3 and is already available as a standalone purchase. There should be plenty of options for people, just maybe not immediately after launch due to global supply chain issues affecting everyone.

The reason the Cine is so expensive is the built in SSDs, full filter kits, etc, and unfortunately it's the only kit that comes with the SC2 at launch. If you add the existing SC to the Fly More Combo or wait until DJI sells the v2 as a standalone, you I suspect you'll be able to get exactly what you want for mid-$3K.
Maybe I should order the SC now then before a bunch of new M3 owners try to do the same. lol

I love my a2 but I'm just a hobbyist those prices are way too much for me . I think if you have a drone business it's worth the money just my opinion it's a tax rite off . good luck stay safe and have fun flying

I would guess the majority of people who are "excited" about this M3 price tag are commercial operators who will write off the entire cost of this pricey drone, and some may even do dubious things with insurance policies on these "business expenses". I won't go into details but we all know the kind of shady stuff that goes on with that.

Reactions: Droniac and Steel63
I've said for many years that DJI has the same corporate arrogance that Apple has towards their customers. The flagship iPhone will soon cost $2.000 USD in a couple years. It looks like the price of Mavic 3 has proven me right .... AGAIN

Keep jacking up prices to exorbitant levels for minimal increase in features. Sounds like a LOSING formula --- ie, losing both net profits and loyal customers!

Sorry, DJI --- you had me as a loyal customer for 8 years but I'm officially DONE with you. Yuneec and Autel Robotics will be more than happy to get my cash from now on. Hope you're happy, greed-mongers!

I'm not sure if I agree with that assessment. A 4/3 sensor is a huge upgrade from the 1" sensor that I don't think everyone understands or appreciates. Image sensors are also very expensive, and cost goes up exponentially with size. Lenses have to be larger to accommodate the larger image circle, which means more glass and more complicated lens designs. On top of that you are getting a second camera with a 1/2" sensor (larger than the M2Z main sensor).

I don't think they are going to lose any customers, I suspect the M3 will be so popular it will be difficult to buy for several months after announcement, especially with current global shortages.

If you think the M3 is overpriced, you probably aren't it's target market and are likely better served by one of the existing drones (I don't mean that in a negative way at all). For someone looking to get a 4/3 sensor in the air with high framerates, it's a bargain relative to anything else on the market currently. If someone isn't excited by that or doesn't need that, then it probably isn't a worthwhile purchase for their particular usage. The biggest win for the market is probably the Air 2S that is only $999 (~$500 less than the M2P at launch). When the M4 is on the horizon, you will probably see M3 tech trickle down into the Air lineup - it's never cheap to stay on the cutting edge. Also, as you already mentioned, many will be buying this drone for business where cost is largely irrelevant.

If you think the M3 is overpriced, you probably aren't it's target market and are likely better served by one of the existing drones (I don't mean that in a negative way at all). For someone looking to get a 4/3 sensor in the air with high framerates, it's a bargain relative to anything else on the market currently. If someone isn't excited by that or doesn't need that, then it probably isn't a worthwhile purchase for their particular usage. The biggest win for the market is probably the Air 2S that is only $999 (~$500 less than the M2P at launch). When the M4 is on the horizon, you will probably see M3 tech trickle down into the Air lineup - it's never cheap to stay on the cutting edge. Also, as you already mentioned, many will be buying this drone for business where cost is largely irrelevant.

I guess, but it seems awfully weird to not have a viable drone in the $1,200 to $2,000 price range. We all know how product cycles work --- once the M3 comes out, then the M2Z and M2P will be discontinued.

I know the premium price of the M3 means the A2S will sell much better, but why throw away corporate profits by not offering a drone in the $1500 range with an 8K sensor and 10X optical zoom and other high-end features that hobbyists will buy?

Reactions: jonatious
I guess, but it seems awfully weird to not have a viable drone in the $1,200 to $2,000 price range. We all know how product cycles work --- once the M3 comes out, then the M2Z and M2P will be discontinued.

I know the premium price of the M3 means the A2S will sell much better, but why throw away corporate profits by not offering a drone in the $1500 range with an 8K sensor and 10X optical zoom and other high-end features that hobbyists will buy?
Who makes a $1500 drone with an 8k sensor and a 10x optical zoom?

Do you know that those other drone companies will increase their own prices too for their premium drones? One company will increase its price and others will follow suit. It is what happens.

See how the price of cars have gone up? Who would have known that the price a coworker paid for their Mustang over 2 years ago would be the price they would sell it for after over 30,000 miles on it?

Plus, I bought a brand new 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid in 2020. I took it to a dealership after 11 months and over 25,000 miles and they were offering me slightly above what I paid for it.

Trust me, if DJI raises prices, others will follow suit. You should not be surprised by that either.

Who makes a $1500 drone with an 8k sensor and a 10x optical zoom?

This company does:

Technically not 10X but that could be easily upgraded in the next version!

Reactions: jonatious
but why throw away corporate profits by not offering a drone in the $1500 range with an 8K sensor and 10X optical zoom and other high-end features that hobbyists will buy?
I would pay M3 prices for a drone with 10x optical zoom. As I understand it, the M3 doesn't zoom at all.

The price gap is significant, but there isn't really a plausible mid-point in between the two in terms of technology. Also remember that any completely separate product line they release needs to have a market big enough to sustain it - if it is positioned such that most people would either just spend a bit more for the M3, or save $500 and get the Air 2S, that isn't good for them either. I'm sure they have done the necessary market research. It's also possible that they are banking on the M3 being more expensive causing an increase in Air 2S sales - win/win for DJI.

A large sensor drone with good 8K frame rates and a 10X optical zoom would probably be priced well above the M3 and the gimbal would have be massive due to the 10X optical zoom lens. Those specs on a tiny sensor drone would be mostly wasted, and a tiny sensor with enough resolution for 8K (roughly 33MP) would have horrible image quality as the pixel size would be unbelievably small. Everything in the photo/video world is a compromise of some kind.

They could simply make the price of the Air 2S higher and their lineup pricing would be more linear, but then people would be upset about that too haha. They could have the Air 2 (1/2" sensor) at $999, Air 2S (1" sensor) $1499, M3 $2049 (4/3 sensor). I'm actually surprised they don't do that and just discontinue the M2P, but it's hard to complain about an Air2S for $999 - almost the same price as the original Mavic Air with the tiny 1/2.3" sensor.

Reactions: RonBower
Plus, I bought a brand new 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid in 2020. I took it to a dealership after 11 months and over 25,000 miles and they were offering me slightly above what I paid for it.

Trust me, if DJI raises prices, others will follow suit. You should not be surprised by that either.

I'm not surprised at all that all drone prices are going up --- it's a direct result of the global chip shortage and overall supply chain problems plaguing all consumer electronics

My main complaint is DJI not offering a viable drone in the "serious hobbyist" price range of $1200-$2000 where a lot of profits are to be found with other companies like Yuneec and Autel Robotics already offering drones in that range. It seems like corporate malpractice for DJI to abandon that niche market and only offer the luxury-priced M3 or the bargain model A2S and nothing in between. Seems really, really weird.

The price gap is significant, but there isn't really a plausible mid-point in between the two in terms of technology. Also remember that any completely separate product line they release needs to have a market big enough to sustain it - if it is positioned such that most people would either just spend a bit more for the M3, or save $500 and get the Air 2S, that isn't good for them either. I'm sure they have done the necessary market research. It's also possible that they are banking on the M3 being more expensive causing an increase in Air 2S sales - win/win for DJI.

A large sensor drone with good 8K frame rates and a 10X optical zoom would probably be priced well above the M3 and the gimbal would have be massive due to the 10X optical zoom lens. Those specs on a tiny sensor drone would be mostly wasted, and a tiny sensor with enough resolution for 8K (roughly 33MP) would have horrible image quality as the pixel size would be unbelievably small. Everything in the photo/video world is a compromise of some kind.

They could simply make the price of the Air 2S higher and their lineup pricing would be more linear, but then people would be upset about that too haha. They could have the Air 2 (1/2" sensor) at $999, Air 2S (1" sensor) $1499, M3 $2049 (4/3 sensor). I'm actually surprised they don't do that and just discontinue the M2P, but it's hard to complain about an Air2S for $999 - almost the same price as the original Mavic Air with the tiny 1/2.3" sensor.
I like your posts. They come with logic, reasoning, and facts.

I'm not surprised at all that all drone prices are going up --- it's a direct result of the global chip shortage and overall supply chain problems plaguing all consumer electronics

My main complaint is DJI not offering a viable drone in the "serious hobbyist" price range of $1200-$2000 where a lot of profits are to be found with other companies like Yuneec and Autel Robotics already offering drones in that range. It seems like corporate malpractice for DJI to abandon that niche market and only offer the luxury-priced M3 or the bargain model A2S and nothing in between. Seems really, really weird.

What features are the Air 2S missing that are critical to your usage? It is better than a M2P in virtually every way except a variable aperture, and the M2P is currently DJI's most expensive drone (for another week haha) without going into the Inspire line which is completely different. I think it's fair to say the A2S/M2P are square in the "serious hobbyist" category for the vast majority of people anyway.

Reactions: mschaffer66

Autel EVO II already has an 8K sensor and 4X optical zoom for $1500 --- not that technically difficult to make an 8X or 10X zoom, and even if the gimbal is larger the most you would lose is maybe 5 or 6 minutes on the battery hoisting a slightly beefier gimbal and lens into the air, and many people much prefer a better zoom to super long flight times anyway

Last edited:
What features are the Air 2S missing that are critical to your usage? It is better than a M2P in virtually every way except a variable aperture, and the M2P is currently DJI's most expensive drone (for another week haha) without going into the Inspire line which is completely different. I think it's fair to say the A2S/M2P are square in the "serious hobbyist" category for the vast majority of people anyway.

8K sensor would be hella nice, especially since 8K televisions are becoming rapidly affordable and would be the perfect way to enjoy all your footage in big screen style.

The whole point of being a great company is to know your niche markets and exploit them for maximum profits. Tesla would be a horrible failure if they only offered the budget $45K Model 3 and the high end $125K Model X and nothing else in the middle, but they wisely chose to produce the Model S and Model Y in the mid range of around $70K and fill an important niche and they make a ton of money from that middle range. Why can't DJI do the same?

Autel Evo II already has an 8K sensor and 4X optical zoom for $1500 --- not that techniccally difficult to make an 8X or 10X zoom, and even if the gimbal is larger the most you would lose is maybe 5 or 6 minutes on the battery hoisting a slightly beefier gimbal and lens into the air, and many people much prefer a better zoom to super long flight times anyway

It is actually much more difficult to make a 10X zoom than a 4X zoom. You need a lot more glass to control various types of distortion and aberrations, and vignetting also becomes more of an issue, especially if you don't want the lens to be massive. You also lose image quality every time you increase the zoom rate, all else equal. These problems all exist already in similar lenses made for "normal" cameras and they are full of compromises. This means more cost, more weight, and worse image quality.

The Evo II 8K uses a 1/2" sensor with a very low bitrate and image quality is nothing spectacular from that drone. I would much rather have good 4K from a larger sensor than half-baked 8K from a smaller sensor. I guess Autel needs to do something different as they cannot compete directly with a company like DJI that basically has a monopoly on the industry. Autel's drones also have a bit of a reputation for impressing people with their spec sheets and being somewhat underwhelming in actual use.

I would also question how many people actually need/want low quality 8K over excellent quality 4K. 8K has it's advantages, mostly on the post processing side of things (all else equal), but I genuinely wonder how many hobbyists are shooting, storing, and editing 8K footage on the regular. My gut feeling is not very many. I would also argue that going through all that trouble for low-quality 8K footage is not worth it, especially given the end usage most people's videos see (YouTube, etc.)

Reactions: Sripey and RonBower
8K sensor would be hella nice, especially since 8K televisions are becoming rapidly affordable and would be the perfect way to enjoy all your footage in big screen style.

The whole point of being a great company is to know your niche markets and exploit them for maximum profits. Tesla would be a horrible failure if they only offered the budget $45K Model 3 and the high end $125K Model X and nothing else in the middle, but they wisely chose to produce the Model S and Model Y in the mid range of around $70K and fill an important niche and they make a ton of money from that middle range. Why can't DJI do the same?

Most companies do not cater to niche markets with cheaper products because that isn't where the money is. The cheaper, lower margin products are intended for volume sales and niche products are usually high margin and high cost because sales volume is much lower. The electronics world is full of examples like this. Take Nikon for example - they make 80% of their revenue from the $500-800 DSLR kits you find in Costco, WalMart, BestBuy, etc. Their $4000-$7000 flagship cameras have enormous margin and sell in dramatically fewer numbers. Features almost always trickle down from the top of the range to the bottom, but they need to pay off that R&D first. To your point, if a company wants to make maximum profit, this is exactly what they do and what most of them do already.

I personally think the market for a tiny sensor 8K drone full of serious compromises to keep the price at $1500 would be far too small to be worth perusing. I also think it's important to reiterate that not all 8K is the same. If it's highly compressed with a really low bitrate coming from a tiny sensor, there is nothing attractive about that beyond the fancy symbols they can put in their marketing material. Good quality 8K from a large sensor with a high bitrate is incredible, and would cost well above the current M3 even without a 10X optical zoom. The processing power a drone would need to handle that would also be no small feat.

As for 8K TV's, current market projections show about 3% of households to have one by end of 2023. That number is around 40% for 4K (which have been available roughly since 2012), and the majority of the population is still using 1080P or less. These are all USA figures. For the foreseeable future anyway, 4K is going to be enough for the overwhelming majority of people in terms of playback resolution. Like I said earlier though, 8K does have plenty of other benefits, mostly on the editing side of things, but if the quality isn't there and it's just 8K for the sake of being 8K, those advantages go out the window.

Rest assured DJI has done their market research and knows far more than you or I ever will on the subject. If they thought a $1500 drone of some kind would make them the most money, that is exactly what they would have done. It's also very possible that they have priced the M3 such that they are expecting the price to end up around $1500 after 2-3 years, rounding out their product line and making room for the next big thing.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranger 7