DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 File Name Reset to 001 with every card formating - How to avoid ?

I don't live in fear of things I can't prevent...

I actually prefer the numbering to reset since I store my media by location and date and bin accordingly. The smallest card I use is 128GB (RC Pro, RC and goggles) everything else is at least 256GB. Copy everything to my desktop at the end of the day. Works for me.
I think you are missing the point. "Cloud storage" was never intended to mean flying all your drone recordings for the day off into the atmosphere on the last flight of the day, before you finally remove the card. Every time you change batteries, you should also be changing cards! This isn't a terrestrial DSLR that remains in your possession all day. Do as you wish, but losing the day's work product is fully preventable. It's not living in fear. It is simply not putting all your eggs into one basket, and deliberately flying it away from you for 30 minutes at a time!

I think you are missing the point. "Cloud storage" was never intended to mean flying all your drone recordings for the day off into the atmosphere on the last flight of the day, before you finally remove the card. Every time you change batteries, you should also be changing cards! This isn't a terrestrial DSLR that remains in your possession all day. Do as you wish, but losing the day's work product is fully preventable. It's not living in fear. It is simply not putting all your eggs into one basket, and deliberately flying it away from you for 30 minutes at a time!
Changing your card every time you change batteries is not only unnecessary, but creates multiple additional opportunities for something to go wrong, get broken, or get lost.

• Wow
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Changing your card every time you change batteries is not only unnecessary, but creates multiple additional opportunities for something to go wrong, get broken, or get lost.
Quite the opposite.

Once you bring the drone back, sending your files out again and again,is an unnecessary risk.
You could lose everything on the card in one incident.
This advice is only for those who value their work and don't just fly in their backyard or the local park.

Although getting the biggest SD card is a popular option with forum members, if you value your imagery it might not be a good idea.
Whenever I see questions about the biggest SD cards I'm reminded of a story of a "pro" shooting a music video with his Inspire on a boat off Miami.
He was one of those get-the-biggest- SD-card guys because bigger is always better?

He had been shooting all day and and at the end of the eighth flight when bringing his inspire in, it hit an outrigger pole on the game boat he was using for a camera boat.
The Inspire went straight down in a busy shipping channel with his whole day's work on his expensive high capacity SD card.
He was disappointed about the Inspire but more concerned about the work he'd lost.
The full story is here:

You only need about 8-10 GB to hold a whole flight of full 4K video or over 3000 jpg photos.
It makes a lot more sense to have several small cards and swap out between flights so that you don't risk losing precious work every time you fly.

I am flying a Mavic3 classic,
newest firmware including waypoints.

With every sd card formating file numbers restart from 001.

Is there any possibility to set the drone to ongoing file numbers like in the mavic 2 pro zoom ?
I have the opposite need! In doing timelapse photography, my software program (LRTimelapse) works on a consecutive numbering system, so when it reaches 9999 it reverts to 0001 and doesn't recognize its a consecutive number. I mentally try not to exceed 9999 exposures when doing any timelapse or hyperlapse using DSLR or drone.

Reactions: Torque
Too complicated

No need to see ... it works just fine.
Copy your image files to your computer .. format the card in the computer ... file numbering continues where it left off.
If you format in the drone the numbering reverts to 001.
That is how it works for me 😄

Quite the opposite.
I agree that if shooting a live event multiple cards can minimize the risk... but I see that as the exception and not the overall rule...

Several posts have nothing to do with "file numbering" - please stay on topic. if you can't find a thread that deals with SD card size, speed, etc. start one. There is no need to hijack this thread (which is a community rule violation).

Although I realize that my following complaint is not exactly the same as the OP but it all falls under the same issue. This has long been a complaint of mine regarding the DJI numbering system. Every digital camera that I have ever owned (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony) allows you to add any prefix (often times limited to three digits). It's a pain to mix files from multiple DJI devices, drones an Osmo Pocket etc, into the same editing session with that DJI prefix and limited numbering scheme. I mean this should not be to hard of a deal to write into the software not for a company that is as high tech as DJI is.

Reactions: Filmarik
Yikes, is that wrong!! Maybe you are just a play around flyer but my images are serious. I download or change cards after each flight. Never know when the bird will fly off, sink, or just vanish. I may never get back to some locations while on a road trip and shooting at different locations along the route. I never reformat a card either, just drag to trash and empty.

Yikes, is that wrong!! Maybe you are just a play around flyer but my images are serious. I download or change cards after each flight. Never know when the bird will fly off, sink, or just vanish. I may never get back to some locations while on a road trip and shooting at different locations along the route. I never reformat a card either, just drag to trash and empty.
Thank you for bringing balance to the Force.

I am with Jeffrey on this one. I have lost a card with a day's worth of shooting on it (sadly along with the M3 the card was installed in). The good news was that it was only the one day's worth of images since I have been downloading the contents after every day's shots. I can't imagine sending my drone off with many day's worth of shots riding in the back.

I can replace the drone (and did) but I can't replace the shots or the conditions I shots them in easily or perhaps not at all. In this case it was a day's worth of waterfall images in the Columbia River Gorge that showed a whole bunch of ephemeral waterfalls that only appear in late spring after heavy rains. By the time I got a replacement the waterfalls in question had dried up.

As above indicates several times, update the firmware.

Personally what I do is copy them all to my pc, then in explorer highlight all files, click rename, put the date in format of yyyymmdd and then follow with _X where x is the card number (I have sharpied on each one a number) then an abbreviation of the activity then hit enter. It gives them all numeric and all unique. Works for me

So now how to you ever get your numbering back to 001?
If you want your file numbers to start at 001 for each flight, just format the SD card in the done at the start of the flight.

If you want your file numbers to start at 001 for each flight, just format the SD card in the done at the start of the flight.
Bumping this thread because I’m having an issue that even if I format the card in the drone, it never resets the number to 001. How am I having the opposite issue as everyone else? I’d like it to reset to 001 but it never does even if I format the SD card.

My M3 does not re-rumber from 1 after a format via computer with cable connection to drone. It may do if reformat is via dji fly.

Bumping this thread because I’m having an issue that even if I format the card in the drone, it never resets the number to 001. How am I having the opposite issue as everyone else? I’d like it to reset to 001 but it never does even if I format the SD card.
This unwanted behavior was finally changed in a recent Mavic 3 FW update, which is why the thread went dead. It now remembers the last used file number and increments from there.

This unwanted behavior was finally changed in a recent Mavic 3 FW update, which is why the thread went dead. It now remembers the last used file number and increments from there.
My wanted behavior would be to reset to 000 or have the choice. We got neither.

My wanted behavior would be to reset to 000 or have the choice. We got neither.
You are in the minority. The resetting to 000 was a new unwanted change with the Fly app. Every other DJI drone using GO and GO 4 before has always incremented. DJI finally made both apps perform the same, in this regard.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet