DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Issue's Out of the box...

Something to keep in mind is all of the folks who take a free drone or loan it from DJI are not really interested in helping you make an independent choice. Look at the new Northrup video he tells it like it is "the camera isn't all that much better" unless your shooting at night as compared to the Air 2s. The zoom feature is at the level of toy quality. Now why would they put that in a drone that is only for the "Professional cinematographer"?
Although I think the new M4/3 sensor camera is very good and probably the best so far in a Mavic, (in my experience with it). I do agree the little telephoto is a joke. It looks like it was designed by a committee and not a professional photo/videographer. Most of our "pro DSLR camera" choices these days come riddled with silly features that no pro wants or uses. Many features are only for marketing purposes. But I agree that it does hurt the perception of the M3 as a pro-level tool. But I guess that's what the Inspire 2 series is for.

Although I think the new M4/3 sensor camera is very good and probably the best so far in a Mavic, (in my experience with it). I do agree the little telephoto is a joke. It looks like it was designed by a committee and not a professional photo/videographer. Most of our "pro DSLR camera" choices these days come riddled with silly features that no pro wants or uses. Many features are only for marketing purposes. But I agree that it does hurt the perception of the M3 as a pro-level tool. But I guess that's what the Inspire 2 series is for.
Inspire 2 in some configurations is cheaper, more for your money, than Mavic 3 as well... I also think it's absolute bologna to market this drone as a several thousand dollars better drone than the Air 2s or older Pro 2...

Makes a nice fantasy "imaging above everything" = Dollars above quality or sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Point Zero
I am having many issues with the Mavic 3 and smart controller.
I have calibrated the controller and all other calibrations have been done over and over again. IMU, RC controller gimbal etc...
Every time at take off the left stick control works to increase elevation and rotation but if I use the right stick the Mavic 3 goes in a diagonal and erratic uncontrollable direction. It even gains elevation while I am only using the right stick.

And yes I have the most current firmware update on the controller and Mavic 3. VERY ANNOYED, NOT AT ALL HAPPY WITH MY Mavic 3 experience! Just wanted all to be advised before they purchase this thing that it doesn't appear to have been thoroughly tested be fore release. We are the guinea pigs!

Next stop is to get in touch with DJI to see how I might get this resolved. I am just like you a simple consumer. I did not expect this thing to be a flop out of the box. Buyer Beware!!
If I get this resolved I will let you know.
Kindest regards,
I had the EXACT same issues on its 2nd flight. It's first flight was perfect, but 2nd time taking it out, it did exactly what you described. I have a support ticket in with DJI.

Can someone start a poll to see how many of us are having problems with the M3. I'm still considering one after the January update and would like some numbers.
Mark me in the "Problems" category. I experienced the same erratic flight behavior as Plasma mentioned in the original post for this thread. Was only on the 2nd drone flight... first time out was without a hitch.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
Sounds like your not in stick mode 2, try going into your controller settings and change to master stick mode 2 or if your use to using a game controller you can change to that setting.
That's not the case. I am experiencing the same issues and for me, definitely in the correct mode (default), and only one stick was pushed forward, causing forward momentum on the drone and at the same time a quick and sudden altitude climb whenever it would go forward. When hovering, it would be erratically moving back and forth. There was very little wind at the time. I'm a fairly experienced drone pilot so definitely can identify erratic behavior when I see it. I have a ticket submitted with DJI.

Agree that everyone should stop whining about price. But I think it’s great value. $2k for a 4/3 sensor AND a bonus zoom camera, so you don’t have to choose one or the other (I’m looking at you, Mavic 2!), longer flight time, quieter, smoother more stable flights, etc, etc.
it’s a no brainer! Unless you just bought a Mavic 2. But at around $1k used, that’s a good deal too.
Agreed! I feel like although it is definitely more expensive, you are getting a hell of a lot more than other drones on the market, even the M2 Pro. For those who feel like it is overly expensive, DJI is keeping the M2 on the market (at least for now and foreseeable future), which is considerably less expensive, in order to fit everyone's budget.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
Something to keep in mind is all of the folks who take a free drone or loan it from DJI are not really interested in helping you make an independent choice. Look at the new Northrup video he tells it like it is "the camera isn't all that much better" unless your shooting at night as compared to the Air 2s. The zoom feature is at the level of toy quality. Now why would they put that in a drone that is only for the "Professional cinematographer"?
They make it implicitly clear that the zoom feature is not for capturing quality video... it's merely for scouting, exploring and setting up the shot. That's why they call it "Explore Mode", this is by design. Admittingly, this does take away a lot of the functionality, but DJI has always been upfront with its intended use, so should be NO surprise that you're not going to get high-quality footage with the Explore Mode.

Inspire 2 in some configurations is cheaper, more for your money, than Mavic 3 as well... I also think it's absolute bologna to market this drone as a several thousand dollars better drone than the Air 2s or older Pro 2...

Makes a nice fantasy "imaging above everything" = Dollars above quality or sense.
maybe it is the virus that cause everything to be marked up.

chips are hard to fine.

That's not the case. I am experiencing the same issues and for me, definitely in the correct mode (default), and only one stick was pushed forward, causing forward momentum on the drone and at the same time a quick and sudden altitude climb whenever it would go forward. When hovering, it would be erratically moving back and forth. There was very little wind at the time. I'm a fairly experienced drone pilot so definitely can identify erratic behavior when I see it. I have a ticket submitted with DJI.
I experience this same issue. I did not mention it to DJI, because I thought it was me.

I have Rc Pro disconnects on Auto dual transmission and 2.4ghz, 5.8 works well..., stock controller works fine no disconnects. I sent the drone and controller in and they sent them back saying drone and controller are fine. Still having disconnects. I'm thinking about sending the controller in alone for an exchange.

Just reading thru these threads, and the issues that are talked about, it makes me think that the first few flights that an individual
fly their Mavic 3, they should fire the drone up outside and do a couple of start up test flights before sending the drone on any type of a distance flight. Kind of like breaking the drone in. making sure that all of the software and motors /electronics are responding and functional. they are new drones. I do not what DJI testing procedures prior to shipping a new drone.

Reactions: Nash2017
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose