DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro Obstance Avoidance- Distance towards the abstacels

Manu Gopinath

Reactions
Hi All,
Thanks in Advance,
I had to take off my Mavic 3 pro inside the house to give a quick demo to my friend. Drone was at around 1.5 to 2 M above the floor and was at pause. Accidently i hit the left stick upwrds and to my surprise, the drone took off and hit the roof! Room was decently lit and drone was in Cine Mode. Can anybody explain how did this happen? And ,what is the shortest distance drone will break before an obstacle? Say, the roof itself. I see that My Mavic 3 pro reached so close to the roof, roughly around 15-20 CM close to my flat white roof. Is this a sensor falut? Bit worried here.

Hi All,
Thanks in Advance,
I had to take off my Mavic 3 pro inside the house to give a quick demo to my friend. Drone was at around 1.5 to 2 M above the floor and was at pause. Accidently i hit the left stick upwrds and to my surprise, the drone took off and hit the roof! Room was decently lit and drone was in Cine Mode. Can anybody explain how did this happen? And ,what is the shortest distance drone will break before an obstacle? Say, the roof itself. I see that My Mavic 3 pro reached so close to the roof, roughly around 15-20 CM close to my flat white roof. Is this a sensor falut? Bit worried here.

"Had to" fly indoors? That's a common phrase in aviation accidents. Years ago a friend flew his Cessna into a hilltop in low visibility and low ceiling when he "had to" get home VFR after a meeting, despite the weather.

Why would you be surprised that the drone climbed when the left stick was pushed forward?

The OA system needs adequate shape detail and contrast to be able to discern obstacles. A uniformly white and well lit ceiling does not provide that.

The OA system is only a collision avoidance aid; it can't be relied upon to detect all obstacles and supplant the need for a pilot's judgement.

(Drones may break after hitting an obstacle when the OA system doesn't brake the drone.)

Reactions: Felix le Chat
"Had to" fly indoors? That's a common phrase in aviation accidents. Years ago a friend flew his Cessna into a hilltop in low visibility and low ceiling when he "had to" get home VFR after a meeting, despite the weather.

Why would you be surprised that the drone climbed when the left stick was pushed forward?

The OA system needs adequate shape detail and contrast to be able to discern obstacles. A uniformly white and well lit ceiling does not provide that.

The OA system is only a collision avoidance aid; it can't be relied upon to detect all obstacles and supplant the need for a pilot's judgement.

(Drones may break after hitting an obstacle when the OA system doesn't brake the drone.)
I never flew it indoors and that was not the intent too! It was just at pause at around 2 Meters from ground. I was of the impression that OA works with the help of Multiple sensors including a binocular vision system which is capable of judging an opaque surface in a well lit environment. I am surprised because, I have seen my Mavic 3 pro so cautious at times to climb up in areas covered with very tall trees.

I never flew it indoors and that was not the intent too! It was just at pause at around 2 Meters from ground. I was of the impression that OA works with the help of Multiple sensors including a binocular vision system which is capable of judging an opaque surface in a well lit environment. I am surprised because, I have seen my Mavic 3 pro so cautious at times to climb up in areas covered with very tall trees.

Trees present lots of complex visual shapes, with contrast at the edges of the shapes, and they're at different distances from the drone. A planar ceiling that's all the same color and has no visible shapes offers little for the sensors to "see."

Trees present lots of complex visual shapes, with contrast at the edges of the shapes, and they're at different distances from the drone. A planar ceiling that's all the same color and has no visible shapes offers little for the sensors to "see."
I get it now. That makes sense too.

Reactions: MS Coast
I hope your drone wasn't damaged. Do check the props very carefully for damage, especially tiny cracks that may enlarge in future flights.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ifish4bass