DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro pano use

CurtisLowe

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I intended to try and get a complete picture of this small lake in Gwinett County GA at a local park. I flew my drone out to the center, elevated to 400 feet, turned the gimbal down and could see with the main camera that the view was only of about 60% of the lake. I thought a Pano would take the six or so pictures looking down and then stitch them together and I would have met my objective.

instead the camera tilted upward to start the multi picture shoot and I got a nice picture of half the lake and the surrounding scenery looking forward. Did I do somehting wrong perhaps? The manual is not very clear on this issue.

Any comments or assistance would be appreciated. Again my goal is to have a shot of the complete lake which I think I would get if the Pano was centered on the direction of the Gimbal down. Does the limitations of Gimbal movenment beyond directly down influence this limitation?

The other solutions is to fly much higher than the limits of 400 feet, which I am unwilling to do.

This is for my own use and not for a client or others as I am a hobbyist and not a pro.

That looks pretty good, wondering if this is correct ?
Are the track supposed to be off center ?

I have had a few issue like this with my first Air 3 but not the Second one thus far.

Screenshot of Google ChromeScreenshot of Google Chrome (8-13-23, 3-55-20 PM).jpg

I don't think any DJI drones use the gimbal pitch position as the "center" of the pano and will always start the pano at 0 degrees pitch and then go 180 degrees (or however wide the pano FOV is) left-to-right from the drone's starting orientation. You can always do it manually to avoid this problem, but it's obviously much more time consuming.

Reactions: DashSolo
I do lots of panoramas with my drones but for each new drone I typically try the built in pano feature at least once. Then I go back to positioning the camera manually for the panoramic views and stitch them in Lightroom. I have yet to be impressed with the built in pano features from DJI.

Im not sure I think I might have experienced that on the Mavic 3 Pro , lol but than I thought i was dreaming. I got to check that out now.

Phantomrain.org
Wet Suits to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

I don't think any DJI drones use the gimbal pitch position as the "center" of the pano and will always start the pano at 0 degrees pitch and then go 180 degrees (or however wide the pano FOV is) left-to-right from the drone's starting orientation. You can always do it manually to avoid this problem, but it's obviously much more time consuming.
The Air 2 definitely does. I just tried it, but I am on old firmware, so they might have changed it.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I do lots of panoramas with my drones but for each new drone I typically try the built in pano feature at least once. Then I go back to positioning the camera manually for the panoramic views and stitch them in Lightroom. I have yet to be impressed with the built in pano features from DJI.
I found that the 360's would almost always mis-stitch on the mini 3 pro, but one of the updates along the way has improved things significantly. I love the convenience, but always keep the original files so I can re-stitch on my PC. I use ICE (Microsoft Image Composite Editor) which is quick and pretty much automatic, and let's me create a full resolution 360 (as opposed to the relatively low res 360 that DJI spits out). However, I've recently been playing around and getting a little deeper into photoshop and lightroom. I'd like to try a better stitching tool seeing as when ICE fails, there's not a lot you can do. Do you use LR or LRC?

Also, I get why you would stitch the 360 yourself, but why aim and shoot each image yourself? Do you find that the automatically shot images don't work out for some reason?

• Sad
Reactions: New England Droning
I found that the 360's would almost always mis-stitch on the mini 3 pro, but one of the updates along the way has improved things significantly. I love the convenience, but always keep the original files so I can re-stitch on my PC. I use ICE (Microsoft Image Composite Editor) which is quick and pretty much automatic, and let's me create a full resolution 360 (as opposed to the relatively low res 360 that DJI spits out). However, I've recently been playing around and getting a little deeper into photoshop and lightroom. I'd like to try a better stitching tool seeing as when ICE fails, there's not a lot you can do. Do you use LR or LRC?

Also, I get why you would stitch the 360 yourself, but why aim and shoot each image yourself? Do you find that the automatically shot images don't work out for some reason?
When I shoot anything I have a very good idea of what I want to include in my final image. I have no interest in how DJI is shooting panoramas as it includes many frames I have no interest in at all. I have been shooting panoramas since the mid 1960's and know how to overlap my frames to get the stitching I want so DJI's version of how to overlap the images has little to offer for my needs. I have never used in camera stitching since I have far more powerful software and processing power on my desktop at home to do the job the way I want.

The only time I was really interested in DJI automating the frame captures was with my old Mavic 3 when I was too far away from my subject for the 24mm lens and waaaay too close for the 162mm lens so I had to shoot matrices of frames to get the field of view I wanted. The better solution is the 70mm lens on my current Mavic 3 Pro.

A lot of this is entirely dependent on what you are trying to do with the imagery you are capturing in the first place and what works great for me may not work for your needs at all. As always YMMV.

Reactions: DougMcC and basyok

ICE is no longer available... :-(

almost... but that requires special runtime C++ libraries and when it goes to get them... they are no longer available... :cool: It's not meant to be... (in other words I'm not dedicated enough to search the dark crevasses of the internet to find it all...

almost... but that requires special runtime C++ libraries and when it goes to get them... they are no longer available... :cool: It's not meant to be... (in other words I'm not dedicated enough to search the dark crevasses of the internet to find it all...
Fair enough. PanoVolo seems better anyway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13