DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro panorama question

AlanL

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Another question for anyone who already has a Mavic 3 Pro - do any of the panorama modes work with either the 3x or 7x lens/sensors? With the older Mavic 3 the pano modes only work in 1x mode and if you select a pano mode while in 7x the drone immediately switches to 1x and 7x is not selectable.

I have found myself wishing I could use the pano features with 7x on more than a handful of occasions and can easily see how I will be wanting to do this even more with the Mavic 3 Pro.

Another question for anyone who already has a Mavic 3 Pro - do any of the panorama modes work with either the 3x or 7x lens/sensors? With the older Mavic 3 the pano modes only work in 1x mode and if you select a pano mode while in 7x the drone immediately switches to 1x and 7x is not selectable.

I have found myself wishing I could use the pano features with 7x on more than a handful of occasions and can easily see how I will be wanting to do this even more with the Mavic 3 Pro.

With the current firmware, Mavic 3 Pro does not support shooting panorama with 3X and 7X telephoto cameras. It is stated in the user manual (v1.0, 2023.4).

Reactions: AlanL
My pro is on order (as are most of us that aren't endowed with early release models) but none of the videos online have said that change is in the works. Having said that I do a LOT of panoramas with my 7x tele...almost ever time I go out I do some mountain vista pano with the 7x tele. I shoot (typically a 3 or 5 frame AEB) then move the frame the right or left, over lapping 1/3. I use the tic-tac-toe squares overlay to ensure I overlap the same amount each time. I might take a series of 4 or 5 or even more shots across horizontally and then after the last horizontal shot I may even drop down 1/3 and do another series across, back to the beginning. That's where keeping a pretty exact overlap with the tic tac toe corners becomes critical. Lightroom will allow you to merge all of those images into an "hdr panorama" with one click of the button.

Thanks - that's what I was afraid of. Oh well - its good to have dreams.....

There's always the possibility that DJI may add the support in a future firmware update.

Reactions: AlanL
My pro is on order (as are most of us that aren't endowed with early release models) but none of the videos online have said that change is in the works. Having said that I do a LOT of panoramas with my 7x tele...almost ever time I go out I do some mountain vista pano with the 7x tele. I shoot (typically a 3 or 5 frame AEB) then move the frame the right or left, over lapping 1/3. I use the tic-tac-toe squares overlay to ensure I overlap the same amount each time. I might take a series of 4 or 5 or even more shots across horizontally and then after the last horizontal shot I may even drop down 1/3 and do another series across, back to the beginning. That's where keeping a pretty exact overlap with the tic tac toe corners becomes critical. Lightroom will allow you to merge all of those images into an "hdr panorama" with one click of the button.

I am quite familiar with that workflow since I am often shooting waterfall panos at 7x with 5 shot bursts to smooth out the waterfalls. What I would really love is the ability to specify that I want a 2x3 pano sequence with 5 shot bursts starting with the current camera view as the upper left corner of the sequence. Like I said above it's good to have dreams :)

There's always the possibility that DJI may add the support in a future firmware update.
Far more likely on the 3x than than the 7x, because of the sheer volume of photographs needed for the 7x. Fortunately, the manual method still works, and the 43 minute flight time makes it possible.

Reactions: Roberto Smera
Far more likely on the 3x than than the 7x, because of the sheer volume of photographs needed for the 7x.
To make a super wide angle panoramic with the 7X, yes. But I think a number of us would just be happy being able to do 3-4 frames across and up and down to get somewhere in the 50mm FOV but with great resolution, that is mostly how I use it manually.

If they can add stitching to both the 3X and 7X cams sometime in the near future, it would make for an amazing increase in productivity per flight.

To make a super wide angle panoramic with the 7X, yes. But I think a number of us would just be happy being able to do 3-4 frames across and up and down to get somewhere in the 50mm FOV but with great resolution, that is mostly how I use it manually.

If they can add stitching to both the 3X and 7X cams sometime in the near future, it would make for an amazing increase in productivity per flight.

I stitch by hand in post processing so my primary goal was to automate more of the task of getting the captures. Like others I am frequently taking arrays of images with the 7x camera to get the scene I want and some of this might be mitigated by simply having the 70mm camera (3x) as an option to begin with.

As an example when I am shooting waterfalls in the Columbia River Gorge I often find I need something like a 3x5 grid of 7x frames to get the scene I want. The 24mm is simply too wide for the task. I usually use burst mode to get a 5 shot sample of the waterfall that can be blended to smooth out the water flow. That leaves me with 75 captures to process when I might have been able to do this with a 5 shot burst from the 3x camera.

If the 48MP output is workable you have a lot of room to crop and get the same scene we have been stitching from the 7x camera.

If the 48MP output is workable you have a lot of room to crop and get the same scene we have been stitching from the 7x camera.
I rarely crop these single drone images, if anything stitching gives me more along the lines of what I would be getting from my handheld cams (Nikon Z, Hasselblad X2D, Leica, Etc.)

I'm looking forward to stitching the 70mm cam for sure.

Agreed! No need for a full 360°. Even an automated 3x3 or 4x4 around the current field of view on both tele camera would also be very useful!

Nope, only with hasselblad.
But, you can do some other shots with 3x, like tracking objects and things like that.

The mavic 3 enterprise does have this feature on 7x already! Its named High res grid and that works amazing

Reactions: GadgetGuy
It's just DJI and their restrictions on software or limiting it to specific hardware again ...
If they fancy, they could implement the code instantly on other models too as @Darkabaz is right to quote from the Mavic 3 Enterprise.

And while they are at it, please include AEB while panos too. Especially with 360 ° you will have a hard time blending sky/sun and darker ground well. Again, the code is still there ...

So, what are you waiting for on a PRO named model? :p

Reactions: Darkabaz
It's just DJI and their restrictions on software or limiting it to specific hardware again ...
If they fancy, they could implement the code instantly on other models too as @Darkabaz is right to quote from the Mavic 3 Enterprise.

And while they are at it, please include AEB while panos too. Especially with 360 ° you will have a hard time blending sky/sun and darker ground well. Again, the code is still there ...

So, what are you waiting for on a PRO named model? :p
Indeed! Our lips to "God's" ears! It's easy code, and already exists! AEB is a great idea, too, although shooting DNG instead of JPG should give the same exposure latitude, since the DJI AEB is foolishly only limited to +/- .7 stops.

Indeed! Our lips to "God's" ears! It's easy code, and already exists! AEB is a great idea, too, although shooting DNG instead of JPG should give the same exposure latitude, since the DJI AEB is foolishly only limited to +/- .7 stops.
It does, but having large panos with the bright sky in view, you really struggle even with +2 EV from the RAW compared to the foreground.

With the Mavic 2 Pro and Litchi you could do the trick of first getting into the AEB mode, than pano mode and then all the pictures were shot multiple times.

And yes, you can all do it manually, but certainly, that is quite the hassle even for 180 ° already.

It does, but having large panos with the bright sky in view, you really struggle even with +2 EV from the RAW compared to the foreground.

With the Mavic 2 Pro and Litchi you could do the trick of first getting into the AEB mode, than pano mode and then all the pictures were shot multiple times.

And yes, you can all do it manually, but certainly, that is quite the hassle even for 180 ° already.
Best to have the sun directly overhead or shoot at night to avoid the sun. My best results have been on overcast days with the sky as a giant softbox. Litchi would definitely help on all accounts, but not without an SDK. So, the question remains as to whether the Mavic 3 Pro is considered "professional" enough by DJI to now warrant an SDK, or if that will remain exclusive to the Mavic 3 Enterprise versions. Hmmm.

Following

Following
Here's a slightly cleaner way to follow a topic. Just above the first post in a topic, toward the right side of the panel, there's a "Watch" button that allows you to be notified of updates, choosing between an alert (Read by clicking the bell shaped icon at top right corner.) or an email notification.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas