DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro panorama question

Here's a slightly cleaner way to follow a topic. Just above the first post in a topic, toward the right side of the panel, there's a "Watch" button that allows you to be notified of updates, choosing between an alert (Read by clicking the bell shaped icon at top right corner.) or an email notification.
Indeed. Unless you deliberately want to publicly let everyone else to know you are interested in the answer/topic, too.

My pro is on order (as are most of us that aren't endowed with early release models) but none of the videos online have said that change is in the works. Having said that I do a LOT of panoramas with my 7x tele...almost ever time I go out I do some mountain vista pano with the 7x tele. I shoot (typically a 3 or 5 frame AEB) then move the frame the right or left, over lapping 1/3. I use the tic-tac-toe squares overlay to ensure I overlap the same amount each time. I might take a series of 4 or 5 or even more shots across horizontally and then after the last horizontal shot I may even drop down 1/3 and do another series across, back to the beginning. That's where keeping a pretty exact overlap with the tic tac toe corners becomes critical. Lightroom will allow you to merge all of those images into an "hdr panorama" with one click of the button.
when did the drone came out the mini 3 and pro? It has a lot of issues with panorama. It was one of the reasons to get it so I think I will send it back ! Look like DJI is going backwards, the probably have issues finding smart developers for their apps and software

Still no panoramas, 3 months later?

Do they plan to or not even offer it?

I know you can shoot manually but it's a lot easier when it saves each panorama set to a separate folders so that you can stitch it in LR later.

Or if some third party app like Lichti were allowed to support the new aircraft released in the last 1-2 years.

That's ridiculous, I bought my M2P within a year of release and it had all the feature set pretty much from the first day I owned it.

Are they releasing too many new drones in a compressed time period than 5 years ago?

Still no panoramas, 3 months later?

Do they plan to or not even offer it?

I know you can shoot manually but it's a lot easier when it saves each panorama set to a separate folders so that you can stitch it in LR later.

Or if some third party app like Lichti were allowed to support the new aircraft released in the last 1-2 years.

That's ridiculous, I bought my M2P within a year of release and it had all the feature set pretty much from the first day I owned it.

Are they releasing too many new drones in a compressed time period than 5 years ago?
All pano functions are fully supported on the primary 4/3 camera. Have been since release on both the Mavic 3 Classic and the Mavic 3 Pro. On the Mavic 3, they were added 18 months ago.

He means that he wants the pano functions on the 70mm camera. Which I do too... Deal breaker for me.
Does he really? How do you know?
Why is a lack of automated pano functions on the 70mm a "deal breaker" for you? You won't buy it solely because of that?

Does he really? How do you know?
Why is a lack of automated pano functions on the 70mm a "deal breaker" for you? You won't buy it solely because of that?
Why the sarcasm?

This entire thread is about 3x and 7x panoramas... Seems extremely obvious that is what he means.

I own a Mini 3 Pro, and want to use the 70mm to get some higher quality stitched images. However with some thought and research I don't think the pano mode will ever work for me. I would mostly use the 'wide angle' pano, but I would want a 4 shot stitch to keep a landscape orientation still, sometimes a two or three shot stitch for a portrait shot... And also I need AEB, which is rubbish on DJI as it only allows 2/3 of a stop steps, which is useless. So I would have to do it manually anyway so maybe its not a deal breaker.

Why the sarcasm?

This entire thread is about 3x and 7x panoramas... Seems extremely obvious that is what he means.

I own a Mini 3 Pro, and want to use the 70mm to get some higher quality stitched images. However with some thought and research I don't think the pano mode will ever work for me. I would mostly use the 'wide angle' pano, but I would want a 4 shot stitch to keep a landscape orientation still, sometimes a two or three shot stitch for a portrait shot... And also I need AEB, which is rubbish on DJI as it only allows 2/3 of a stop steps, which is useless. So I would have to do it manually anyway so maybe its not a deal breaker.
It wasn't intended as sarcasm. When you speak for someone else, unless you have independent personal knowledge of exactly what they meant, it's pure speculation on your part. The poster was not specific as to any camera. He stated "no panoramas," yet the Mavic 3 Pro already has all the same panoramas as every other DJI drone.

DJI simply doesn't offer panoramas on any of the telephoto cameras on any of their consumer drones, and DJI never promised them either. This entire thread is about wished for pano features on both telephoto cameras.

How do you know his post wasn't about the 7x telephoto, instead of only the 3x telephoto? The poster was also being very sarcastic, implying that DJI was making too many new drones, instead of fulfilling promises that they never made for the Mavic 3 Pro.

I'd also like Hi Res Grid pano capabilities on both telephoto cameras, like they offer on the Mavic 3 Enterprise on the 7x camera.

DJI may or may not add these capabilities in the future. However, they are under no obligation to anyone to do so.

In the mean time, manual shooting of any type of panorama is always possible on any of the cameras, and the 43 minute flight time gives everyone plenty of of time to do it, even without any automation from DJI. Lack of an automated pano feature on the telephoto cameras should not be a deal killer for any serious pano shooter. Automating it merely makes it easier and faster. However, the cameras and the drone already make it possible.

As to DJI's ridiculous 0.7 stop AEB bracketing, I completely agree with you that they should be full stops! However, we've been complaining about that for the last 7 years, and they haven't budged yet!

Last edited:
It wasn't intended as sarcasm. When you speak for someone else, unless you have independent personal knowledge of exactly what they meant, it's pure speculation on your part. The poster was not specific as to any camera. He stated "no panoramas," yet the Mavic 3 Pro already has all the same panoramas as every other DJI drone.

DJI simply doesn't offer panoramas on any of the telephoto cameras on any of their consumer drones, and DJI never promised them either. This entire thread is about wished for pano features on both telephoto cameras.

How do you know his post wasn't about the 7x telephoto, instead of only the 3x telephoto? The poster was also being very sarcastic, implying that DJI was making too many new drones, instead of fulfilling promises that they never made for the Mavic 3 Pro.

I'd also like Hi Res Grid pano capabilities on both telephoto cameras, like they offer on the Mavic 3 Enterprise on the 7x camera.

DJI may or may not add these capabilities in the future. However, they are under no obligation to anyone to do so.

In the mean time, manual shooting of any type of panorama is always possible on any of the cameras, and the 43 minute flight time gives everyone plenty of of time to do it, even without any automation from DJI. Lack of an automated pano feature on the telephoto cameras should not be a deal killer for any serious pano shooter. Automating it merely makes it easier and faster. However, the cameras and the drone already make it possible.

As to DJI's ridiculous 0.7 stop AEB bracketing, I completely agree with you that they should be full stops! However, we've been complaining about that for the last 7 years, and they haven't budged yet!
Yep I do know he stated 'any' but as the whole thread was about the two telephoto lenses I think it's safe to assume that he was on topic. Anyway no point arguing its basically not relevant.

It looks like the 48mp mode with the Air 3 / Mavi 3 Pro tele lens allows AEB in 48mp mode I guess that 'might work' but probably not.

Torn between keeping my Mini 3 Pro of changing for the Air 3. The Magic 3 Pro is nice, but I am not very impressed by the lens on the main camera.

Yep I do know he stated 'any' but as the whole thread was about the two telephoto lenses I think it's safe to assume that he was on topic. Anyway no point arguing its basically not relevant.

It looks like the 48mp mode with the Air 3 / Mavi 3 Pro tele lens allows AEB in 48mp mode I guess that 'might work' but probably not.

Torn between keeping my Mini 3 Pro of changing for the Air 3. The Magic 3 Pro is nice, but I am not very impressed by the lens on the main camera.
What's wrong with the 4/3 main camera lens on the Mavic 3 Pro?
It has the biggest sensor on any DJI consumer drone, and produces great stills and video. It's in camera auto-stitched 360° panos with cloned ceilings are over 75MB from 25 images of 20MP each. The Quad Bayer 48MP is all marketing. It is really only 12MP.

Mini 3 Pro is an exempt sub-250g drone (no RID required in the U.S.) with the same sensor as on the Air 3 which is non-exempt, as over 250g, and broadcasting RID from the factory. Unless you need the 3x telephoto of the Air 3, I'd stick with the exempt Mini 3 Pro, especially for any international travel.

I have kept probably fewer than 10 single shot photos, maybe fewer than 5, since owning the M2P for 4-5 years.

You get that Birds Eye perspective, pano is the best presentation, not to mention maximizing the data captured.

I don’t yet have a Dual camera drone but the telephoto would Be of limited value unless it could be used for panoramas. And automated panoramas is better for organization and optimal use of flight time compared to manual capture.

Mini 3 Pro is an exempt sub-250g drone (no RID required in the U.S.) with the same sensor as on the Air 3
It is a misunderstanding that the Mini3Pro and the Air3 uses the same sensor.
It is the same size, yes. But the Air 3 sensor uses a different technology, it is a so called stacked sensor. The image signal processor and its ultra-fast DRAM memory is stacked into the same silicon. This allows a much faster readout of the data, and can greatly improve image processing and noise reduction, resulting in an overall better quality image.

Reactions: ShootingStills
What's wrong with the 4/3 main camera lens on the Mavic 3 Pro?
It has the biggest sensor on any DJI consumer drone, and produces great stills and video. It's in camera auto-stitched 360° panos with cloned ceilings are over 75MB from 25 images of 20MP each. The Quad Bayer 48MP is all marketing. It is really only 12MP.

Mini 3 Pro is an exempt sub-250g drone (no RID required in the U.S.) with the same sensor as on the Air 3 which is non-exempt, as over 250g, and broadcasting RID from the factory. Unless you need the 3x telephoto of the Air 3, I'd stick with the exempt Mini 3 Pro, especially for any international travel.
I have no experience using the Magic 3 Myself, but from the Raw samples I have found, mostly from DPreview, the actual lens (optics) seem soft. Soft compared to the M2P I used to have. At 100% view they are not sharp. When googling I see there is a lot of discussion about that too.

So While the sensor is great (ideally Id like 40mp as a landscape photographer) the lens it putting me off. And now the Magic 3 has been out a while I assume it'll be replaced within a year. I know the Pro is recent.

With the Air 3, I would use the 70mm lens to shoot multiple images and stitch and then reduce the file back to 40mp or so. Leaving a really high quality file. Takes some work but for great images / locations its worth it.

Great points on the RID. So the UK has not implemented that, looks to be 2026, I don't know about Europe though? I could keep both.

It is the same size, yes. But the Air 3 sensor uses a different technology, it is a so called stacked sensor. The image signal processor and its ultra-fast DRAM memory is stacked into the same silicon. This allows a much faster readout of the data, and can greatly improve image processing and noise reduction, resulting in an overall better quality image.
Yes true. Back illuminated sensors. It is the demosaicing that's the issue when using Quad Beyer. Hopefully it's better. If it was even slightly better, coupled with the new Controller and tele lens, and wind stability I would probably buy one.

While sensors can be optimized, the actual sensor size is still the most important factor, all else being equal, especially in low light. A 20MP still from the 4/3 sensor of the Mavic 3 or the 1” sensor of the Air 2S or P4P will still have more detail and less noise than the smaller 12MP from the 1/1.3” sensors on the Air 3.

The faster readout of which you speak reduces rolling shutter and allows faster shutter speeds, but if the drone is in a hover, photographing stationary subjects, in good light, at the base ISO, that faster readout won't improve image quality over a larger sensor.

While sensors can be optimized, the actual sensor size is still the most important factor, all else being equal, especially in low light. A 20MP still from the 4/3 sensor of the Mavic 3 or the 1” sensor of the Air 2S or P4P will still have more detail and less noise than the smaller 12MP from the 1/1.3” sensors on the Air 3.

The faster readout of which you speak reduces rolling shutter and allows faster shutter speeds, but if the drone is in a hover, photographing stationary subjects, in good light, at the base ISO, that faster readout won't improve image quality over a larger sensor.
My post was a comment to your statement that the Mini 3 Pro and the Air 3 shares the same sensor (which they don't).
I said nothing about sensor size comparison.

Well it's the pixel size not sensor size that matters. 20mp in 4/3 vs 12mp in 1/1.3 inch wouldn't be that large a difference. That said its 48mp stuff into the tiny sensor so the noise really sucks when you increase ISO.

Could you possibly.build a waypoints file that could automate this? Or can you not use different waypoint files at different places?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne