DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro Released with new FW Released as well

Would really love to see RAW across all zoom levels, both optical and digital. Having to drop to a lower quality as it is when zooming on top of being forced into JPG makes the quality too poor for professional looking images. I'm guessing some of this can be addressed via a firmware update, at least across the digital spectrum.

The current mavic has no zoom. I would be interested if it had a real optical zoom.
That is semantics. The 2 camera system may not "zoom" in the literal sense. But When considered together you are getting a 7x zoom, but instead of zooming optically it's more like a jump straight to 7x.

Reactions: TheGroove
That is semantics. The 2 camera system may not "zoom" in the literal sense. But When considered together you are getting a 7x zoom, but instead of zooming optically it's more like a jump straight to 7x.
It is not sematics, it is about precision in language. The Mavic 3 has two fixed-focal lenses, also called prime lenses. A zoom lens has variable focal length. The Mavic 3 has no zoom and no variable focal length. The so-called digital zoom is nothing more than a crop of the sensor area, giving degraded image quality.

Reactions: SteveR43 and Meta4
Would really love to see RAW across all zoom levels, both optical and digital.
There is no point in RAW in a digitally "zoomed" image. It is nothing more than a cropped sensor area, which you can easily do from the RAW file yourself, with more control.
You get RAW-files from both the tele lens and the wideangle lens in the Mavic 3.

It is not sematics, it is about precision in language. The Mavic 3 has two fixed-focal lenses, also called prime lenses. A zoom lens has variable focal length. The Mavic 3 has no zoom and no variable focal length. The so-called digital zoom is nothing more than a crop of the sensor area, giving degraded image quality.
Also, the 7x, even though billed as optical, gives pretty degraded quality and getting a professional looking HQ image out of it is nearly impossible. Had the Mavic 3 Classic been available when I purchased I definitely would've gone with that knowing what I know now.

There is no point in RAW in a digitally "zoomed" image. It is nothing more than a cropped sensor area, which you can easily do from the RAW file yourself, with more control.
You get RAW-files from both the tele lens and the wideangle lens in the Mavic 3.
While true there's a big difference between what your focal point is as you're flying around and zooming in and out to get the right composition, getting it exactly sized up the way you want at say 3x (or some other focal length) and having to take blanket shots with at 1x and 7x and then come home and crop out that same composition in post. From the perspective of a photographer that's not a feasible way to shoot.

Also, the 7x, even though billed as optical, gives pretty degraded quality
That is because the tele lens (which you call 7x) has a much smaller sensor than the wideangle lens, so the quality is not as good as that from the large sensor in the wideangle lens. And because of the smaller aperture it needs good light.
But despite that, I have seen images posted here with surprisingly good quality. Good light and some adjustments of the RAW-file can do wonders.

While true there's a big difference between what your focal point is as you're flying around and zooming in and out to get the right composition, getting it exactly sized up the way you want at say 3x (or some other focal length) and having to take blanket shots with at 1x and 7x and then come home and crop out that same composition in post. From the perspective of a photographer that's not a feasible way to shoot.
I disagree. As a photographer myself, I do the opposite of what you describe here. Unless I have access to an optical zoom, I do all cropping in post because it gives me more control and no loss of quality.

Reactions: PAW and MS Coast
there will be a M3Pro Cine also
My guess is the next version of M3 will be in the Enterprise series. Possibly with the SSD storage and interchangeable camera/gimbal choices which might include spotlights on the gimbal to see where you are searching.

I hope it IS $4k+ considering I just purchased an M3 last November and would hate to think another (better) drone would be available in the the same neighborhood of cost as the M3. That would not be a positive move for DJI. But it appears thats not the case.. This new drone might be competing with the Cini, maybe? But even so, why? That M3C isn't old, either. Not sure where this new drone will fit in..
I hope it is 4k+,nice thing to say.

Also, the 7x, even though billed as optical, gives pretty degraded quality and getting a professional looking HQ image out of it is nearly impossible. Had the Mavic 3 Classic been available when I purchased I definitely would've gone with that knowing what I know now.
I personally like the 7x. I use it during the day mostly. The footage is fair to good. Zooming in helps to see things that I couldn't , then I simply move the drone in closer for a better shot.

I personally like the 7x. I use it during the day mostly. The footage is fair to good. Zooming in helps to see things that I couldn't , then I simply move the drone in closer for a better shot.
The tele lens on the Mavic 3 can give some very interesting footage, that does not look like typical drone videos. For example (the illusion of) change in perspective.
Philip Bloom is a professional filmmaker, and has made a good video on how to get the most from the tele lens in the Mavic 3:

Also, the 7x, even though billed as optical
Billed as optical ?? It is optical.
gives pretty degraded quality and getting a professional looking HQ image out of it is nearly impossible.
Nearly impossible?
Although it's not in the same league as the main camera, this doesn't match my experience with the tele camera.
I wrote this post not long after getting the Mavic 3:
Since then I've captured many more very good images with the tele camera.

Reactions: PAW and waynorth
Billed as optical ?? It is optical.

Nearly impossible?
Although it's not in the same league as the main camera, this doesn't match my experience with the tele camera.
I wrote this post not long after getting the Mavic 3:
Since then I've captured many more very good images with the tele camera.
Yes, we clearly have different definitions of high quality. Don't get me wrong, there are some nice images in there but it still does not meet that standard, the look is like something from a cell phone that you have to really doctor in post. You can get it from the main camera, but not the tele which will only product mediocre quality under the best of conditions. It's okay for average social media or general point and shoot type images, you can also see where it would be useful for scouting, etc.

Unfortunately, the Classic had not come out yet but knowing what I know now I would've just stuck with that and saved my money. Hoping they can improve on it in the next model.

The tele lens on the Mavic 3 can give some very interesting footage, that does not look like typical drone videos. For example (the illusion of) change in perspective.
Philip Bloom is a professional filmmaker, and has made a good video on how to get the most from the tele lens in the Mavic 3:
Here is a great example from a post of mine of the 7x zoom lens at work. It was set to 4 times it's optical 162mm Focal length ie 28x relative to the main camera. It does have it's uses. I can't do this in post.

Go to the end of the video to see exactly how far away the drone is from the tower. You will be amazed. It's worth the extra money. I would not buy the classic when I can do things like this.

Last edited:
You say it's not semantics, but lets say I own a 35mm standard DSLR camera. I then think to myself, I want a lens that can see things further away. Lets say this lens is a fixed lens. MOST PEOPLE STILL CALL THIS LENS, TO GET CLOSEUPS, A "ZOOM" LENS, EVEN THOUGH IT IS A FIXED LENS. THEY CALL IT A ZOOM LENS BECAUSE THEY ARE COMPARING IT TO THEIR NATIVE 35MM LENS.

Oops, sorry about the caps. I accidentally hit the all caps button and didn't want to retype.

Yes, we clearly have different definitions of high quality. Don't get me wrong, there are some nice images in there but it still does not meet that standard, the look is like something from a cell phone that you have to really doctor in post. You can get it from the main camera, but not the tele which will only product mediocre quality under the best of conditions. It's okay for average social media or general point and shoot type images, you can also see where it would be useful for scouting, etc.

Unfortunately, the Classic had not come out yet but knowing what I know now I would've just stuck with that and saved my money. Hoping they can improve on it in the next model.
Look at my video in post 78. I would not call that a social media shot or simple point and shoot. It's an effect you can only get with the zoom lens. I think it looks great myself. It's even zoomed to 28x digital. I could not create this effect in post either.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1