DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Range test - 30,000 ft - REPORTED TO FAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t been in this forum for a while. But I think the 400’ AGL from take off point makes sense as it is your only ‘accurate’ reference that you can see from the drone’s telemetry. Beyond that, you are guesstimating your drone’s current height AGL while flying, unless you are on completely leveled ground. Or have a very good mental map of the ground level around you (1.2 mile radius) and be able to calculate your drone’s actual height in your head while flying.

That doesn't make sense. For example, I live on a fairly steep hillside and if I went by my takeoff point I wouldn't be able to fly at all toward the mountain ... which happens to also be the safest place to fly in terms of minimal chance of encountering either people or other aircraft. In the other direction I would quickly be well above 400 feet AGL and at a altitude and position where border patrol helicopters show up in a heartbeat. Going by takeoff point is a useless guide.

I can easily judge whether I am approaching 400' AGl simply by monitoring the video feed. If you can't, you probably shouldn't be flying a drone.

Reactions: JimCunn
What doesn’t make sense is why anyone would feel the need to be flying at exactly 400’ AGL all the time. You need stereoscopic vision to gauge depth/height, so unless you have special powers, you are just guessing your height from a video feed anyway.
When you are flying towards a hill or mountain, then use a bit of common sense to increase your height so you don’t crash to the ground. If you are flying away from a mountain, then use a bit of common sense so you aren’t too high above ground.
When it comes to flying drones, the most important thing is to have and use common sense.

I still cannot believe someone reported your video to the FAA. Must have been one of those guys mad at life because he still lives in his mothers basement and never became a real pilot. Work with a few of those sissys...

For DECADES our industry has been Self Policing and doing a great job as such. Now that the level of entry is almost non-existent people are able to fly willy-nilly and cause the rest of us even MORE regulations.

Not only do I fully support "Reporting FAA Violations" I have reported several and for total transparency I have been reported (it was a lie and the FAA confirmed it as I was licensed to the gills). If we don't self police and report these things they will get out of hand and regulations will INCREASE!

For the record, I have been a "Real Pilot" for a few decades now so there's that error of your assumptions. And for living in the basement, I'd have no problem putting my annual earnings against yours any day of the week.

Last edited:
I still cannot believe someone reported your video to the FAA. Must have been one of those guys mad at life because he still lives in his mothers basement and never became a real pilot. Work with a few of those sissys...

Be aware that the FAA looks at Youtube. And I suspect that they received many reports on that video, too.

This "real pilot" (licensed the first time a couple of years before your birth) didn't report the video, but I agree wholeheartedly with those who did.

Last edited:

I can almost guarantee it was someone on this forum who reported it.

Not doing it again after read the rule carefully. Rules has been changing. It was legal before. At least I did it in a safe place with spotters thinking the rule still apply in that way. If something went wrong only trees will be affected.
It was only legal to have one remote spotter. It was never legal to leapfrog The flight with multiple spotters.

Note to those folks who are thinking about an endeavor such as range test or altitude test or flying alongside a Saleen doing a hillclimb demo...(and I am not advocating these either)...and then leading to posting the video on some site, and there are a LOT of them...dont advertise the location, by word or notable feature like Mt Rushmore...I saw a 20,000ft distance video and the guy never says where it took place, even replying to my question about the sloping horizon to say "Yes, the ground below is sloping" while never revealing where it is...

For DECADES our industry has been Self Policing and doing a great job as such. Now that the level of entry is almost non-existent people are able to fly willy-nilly and cause the rest of us even MORE regulations.

Not only do I fully support "Reporting FAA Violations" I have reported several and for total transparency I have been reported (it was a lie and the FAA confirmed it as I was licensed to the gills). If we don't self police and report these things they will get out of hand and regulations will INCREASE!

For the record, I have been a "Real Pilot" for a few decades now so there's that error of your assumptions. And for living in the basement, I'd have no problem putting my annual earnings against yours any day of the week.
Wasn’t there like some competition on this forum about who could fly the furthest?
Was that like an FAA sting operation? Lol

Wasn’t there like some competition on this forum about who could fly the furthest?
Was that like an FAA sting operation? Lol

That's a load of cow matter if I've ever heard it. Yes there are long-range discussions on this forum (it is a PUBLIC forum after all) but the FAA isn't running this board in any capacity. We have some members on here (like myself) who have a small affiliation with the FAA but that's because we CARE about the industry and want to help TRY and SPREAD accurate information and get rid of some of the crappy/false information circulating. It's about Aviation SAFETY and not some silly "Sting Operation". Obviously you have no clue how the FAA works in the least. . . .

If you have a problem with me, the forum, or how this forum is ran please feel FREE to contact me privately and we can discuss in detail. Otherwise, keep those types of remarks to yourself.

Are we clear?

That's a load of cow matter if I've ever heard it. Yes there are long-range discussions on this forum (it is a PUBLIC forum after all) but the FAA isn't running this board in any capacity. We have some members on here (like myself) who have a small affiliation with the FAA but that's because we CARE about the industry and want to help TRY and SPREAD accurate information and get rid of some of the crappy/false information circulating. It's about Aviation SAFETY and not some silly "Sting Operation". Obviously you have no clue how the FAA works in the least. . . .

If you have a problem with me, the forum, or how this forum is ran please feel FREE to contact me privately and we can discuss in detail. Otherwise, keep those types of remarks to yourself.

Are we clear?

Sorry that I quoted your entire post but I meant this part:

“Not only do I fully support "Reporting FAA Violations" I have reported several”

I was just stating on a forum there is a d***-measuring contest thread regarding who dares to fly the furthest, with a moderator stating he reported several FAA violations..

Sting operation
In law enforcement, a sting operation is a deceptive operation designed to catch a person attempting to commit a crime. A typical sting will have an undercover law enforcement officer, detective, or co-operative member of the public play a role as criminal partner or potential victim and go along with a suspect's actions to gather evidence of the suspect's wrongdoing.

I have no problem with you, nor this forum or how it is ran, sorry if you got that impression!

If it is a crime to do such and such regarding FAA then I am happy that you are reporting it in your country, that is your duty in a way to keep this wonderful hobby safe and legal. I am on your side make no mistake!

I performed yesterday a range test on my Mavic 3 in sport mode with a battery that only has 1 cycle.
multiples spotters help me with this test. Thanks to my wife, daughter and friends.

The weather was perfect, 70 degrees, 1-3 Mph wind, The OccuSync3+ is incredible.
The video can be seen up to 5.1K

As you can see the battery is the limit. I may have archive another 1,000 FT but I don't want to push to much the first time without know the drone. I returned with 17% of battery left.

I need to test in normal mode but can be risky the return.

Enjoy the video !!

ADENDUM !!!! PLEASE READ BELOW !!! I have been reported to the FAA for my 30,000FT Range Test video. They leave me a comment in my YouTube channel asking for my email saying they need to talk to me. I google the agent name and found his email and phone number and I give then my information. They email me and then call me. FAA Orlando, contacted me to give me orientation about the rules of VLOS and altitude base in the rules below. I had to provide my drone registration and trust certificate. He was very professional, friendly and let me know the FAA intentions is give orientation to people flying drones and encourage continue with the hobby in a safety way. The first thing he mention was do not feel stress we are here to help and give orientation. I am keeping my video in my channel as orientation but as I mention before I am not intending to repeat the test again since I know now is violating the FAA rules. PLEASE DO NOT INTENT TO DO THIS !!! Reference: Code of Federal Regulation 107 https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14...

SHOW LESS

I find distance tests pointless, not much to really film when your that high.

Reactions: GFields and AZDave
These tests have been done before and the results were posted. Not a wise move to duplicate and post considering it violates the FAA rules. I did enjoy the video :cool:

Last edited:
I performed yesterday a range test on my Mavic 3 in sport mode with a battery that only has 1 cycle.
multiples spotters help me with this test. Thanks to my wife, daughter and friends.

need to talk to me. I google the agent name and found his email and phone number and I give then my information. They email me and then call me. FAA Orlando, contacted me to give me orientation about the rules of VLOS and altitude base in the rules below. I had to provide my drone registration and trust certificate. He was very professional, friendly and let me know the FAA intentions is give orientation to people flying drones and encourage continue with the hobby in a safety way. The first thing he mention was do not feel stress we are here to help and give orientation. I am keeping my video in my channel as orientation but as I mention before I am not intending to repeat the test again since I know now is violating the FAA rules. PLEASE DO NOT INTENT TO DO THIS !!! Reference: Code of Federal Regulation 107 https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14...

SHOW LESS

The weather was perfect, 70 degrees, 1-3 Mph wind, The OccuSync3+ is incredible.

As you can see the battery is the limit. I may have archive another 1,000 FT but I don't want to push to much the first time without know the drone. I returned with 17% of battery left.

Enjoy the video !!

ADENDUM !!!! PLEASE READ BELOW !!! I have been reported to the FAA for my 30,000FT Range Test video. They leave me a comment in my YouTube channel asking for my email saying they need to talk to me. I google the agent name and found his email and phone number and I give then my information. They email me and then call me. FAA Orlando, contacted me to give me orientation about the rules of VLOS and altitude base in the rules below. I had to provide my drone registration and trust certificate. He was very professional, friendly and let me know the FAA intentions is give orientation to people flying drones and encourage continue with the hobby in a safety way. The first thing he mention was do not feel stress we are here to help and give orientation. I am keeping my video in my channel as orientation but as I mention before I am not intending to repeat the test again since I know now is violating the FAA rules. PLEASE DO NOT INTENT TO DO THIS !!! Reference: Code of Federal Regulation 107 https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14...

SHOW LESS

Enjoy the video !!

SHOW LESS

@zeusfl. Though an illegal flight, the real world range, which you demonstrated, could be useful. Given a medical emergency in a remote location, critical information could be taped to a drone and flown to find help. A 60,000’ range could be life saving. Might the FAA give you a pass for that? A drone isn’t a St. Bernard, but might be the next best thing.

I do believe this thread has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowyerv